PDA

View Full Version : Home build aircraft in Austria?

MikeAlphaBravo
13th Feb 2015, 03:53
Hoping to move from the sand pit to Austria in the next few years and would like to build my own aircraft, in particular, the Aviat Eagle II. Can anybody advise whether the Austrians have an authority in place to enable home built aircraft, similar to the permit to fly scheme? Also, any nice airfields around the Graz area from which to fly.
Many thanks
MAB

Fossy
13th Feb 2015, 12:37
Yes, they have, its called EASA

MikeAlphaBravo
13th Feb 2015, 12:45
Ok thanks, bit out of touch with the rules for home built aircraft. Rules always seem to be changing. I'm not sure all EU countries allow permit to fly aircraft but I'll check.

EEngr
13th Feb 2015, 16:30
Not sure if this is related to your question but: I was reading up on the Me-262 Stormbirds project (STORMBIRDS presents the Me 262 Project (http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html)) and some issues over certification in Germany were raised due to the LBA not having an experimental aircraft category.

An airworthiness certificate has been granted in the USA, but they are (were, in 2005) researching how to get the equivalent in Germany.

So there my be more than EASA to contend with and that may vary by country. Interesting thread. What are various countries positions on experimental/home built aircraft?

MikeAlphaBravo
13th Feb 2015, 17:35
EEngr, yes, that was exactly my question and point. EASA is not a one for all solution in all countries as far as I understand.

MikeAlphaBravo
13th Feb 2015, 17:41
Seems there is an organization in Austria, thanks to Jan for his post in the private flying forum. It's called the Igo Etrich Club. Seems to cover lots of popular home builds. German only on the web site but looks promising :ok:

Bizflight
16th Feb 2015, 12:24
try out this one: aeroclub.at (http://www.aeroclub.at/) As well in German but this "club" is responsible for light planes in Austria.

It depends if your eagle is going to be an Ultralight. Then this people are your partners.

I knew some of the self builders. Donīt ask me about types :* but one of them has his own airfield in Lower Austria.

If you wish I can get in touch with him for assistance.

Cheers,

BF

MikeAlphaBravo
17th Feb 2015, 03:24
Thanks Bizflight, I'll check them out and I also plan to visit a few airfields in the summer when on holiday.