PDA

View Full Version : 11,000 new staff for EK...how's that going to happen?

Kamelchaser
12th Feb 2015, 07:29
Hiring spree to boost Emirates Airline staff | The National (http://www.thenational.ae/business/aviation/hiring-spree-to-boost-emirates-airline-staff)

Kinda wondering how this is going to happen, given that they've been training 500 cabin per month for the last 12 months and the cabin crew numbers haven't increased at all in the last year...and according to informed sources, 130 pilots have resigned in the past 3 months.

Numbers just don't add up?

jack schidt
12th Feb 2015, 08:01
Reality vs Dreams = Fact and Fiction. The fairytale might be turning into a horror story sooner than can be envisaged.

I like many would not now be here, if my future can become my new dream vs this reality which is certainly turning into a horror story. The Emirates and ME dream is long gone.... and sometime (soon) I hope I will be too.

J

CaptainChipotle
12th Feb 2015, 08:14
Current world population is 7 Billion and growing...

Im sure there are 11,000 confused, desperate, ill-informed souls looking for their pot of gold. Unfortunately, like everyone else, their sh!t bucket will fill up before their money bucket fills up!

Capetonian
12th Feb 2015, 08:15
The only thing that adds up in EK is the profit.

I have two close friends who worked for them, both have bailed out in the last couple of months with horror stories. One is receiving counselling.

box
12th Feb 2015, 09:53
Third world countries. For pilots and cabin crew.

sheiken around
12th Feb 2015, 09:54
Perhaps propaganda like this might assist their lost cause...

Thousands apply for cabin crew jobs at Emirates Airlines (http://7daysindubai.com/thousands-apply-cabin-crew-jobs-emirates-airlines/)

ChillinInTheDesert
12th Feb 2015, 10:00
No use hiring 11000 if they cannot house them. And thats the least of their problems! The mind boggles.

Yossarian
12th Feb 2015, 13:47
Every flight I do recently the cabin crew are proud to announce their resignations. The trend is obvious. Can hiring keep up?

Kapitanleutnant
12th Feb 2015, 14:14
All they really need to do is setup a roadshow or booth in ANY 2nd or 3rd world…. or the Philippines… and voila…. I honestly don't see an issue with this and to me, the numbers do add up.

Have heard from a trainer one a recent flight that some of the new joiners get warning letters while in training and a select few have received Final warning letters before graduating to the level of Grade 2.

So…. Me thinks the quality is not there… but the numbers will always be there.

Kap

Trader
12th Feb 2015, 14:21
Actually, I think it is an issue. Not in terms of recruitment but in terms of on board service!

Lately it seems almost every flight has an issue with cabin crew who, obviously, do not want to be there. They may get talked to or written up but they just don't care. Maybe they have resigned already or are planning to and feel 'enlightened' by the fact that they are suddenly untouchable.

Our cabin service has declined enough - it doesn't need this.

But then again--the managers don't really care.

DCS99
12th Feb 2015, 14:45
Pop into the Careers Centre on the 2nd Floor and try and get a seat.

You won't.

Dubai is paradise for those that have no toilets or air-con in their home countries.

Capetonian
12th Feb 2015, 14:52
I have friends who travel between EU and ZA and CN twice a year. They always go on Emirates, and always say 'never again'. They complain about the poor service, the crowds and smoking at DXB, the cramped seating, and so on.

Next time, they always book EK because it's the cheapest and they give 30 kg. This is how they retain loyalty.

I had a note from them last week after their latest trip to JNB .........

I know you've heard it before but this is REALLY the last time we fly with Emirates (my name for them deleted …..) but yesterdays trip was the worst EVER.

The crew on board seemed completely uninterested in anything other than getting the so-called meal service over as soon as possible and chatting amongst themselves. C....'s video system didn't work on the flight Dubai-Joburg and when he asked them if anything could be done the reply was a rude 'no …. you can see the flight is full.' The food was inedible, and cold. The seats were uncomfortable but we're used to that and we know it is what you get if you travel economy. We've decided next time we'll go business class and spend the extra but not on Emirats after the way they've treated us, as loyal customers using them 4 or 5 times a year for the last 10 years at least. We know you always said avoid them but last we admit you are right, as always!

Dubai airport stinks in both senses of the word and is horribly crowded. our luggage didn't make it on the same flight as us although there was 4 hours connexion time. The staff at ORT had heard it all before, no apology, no offer of a compensation, just 'it will arrive tomorrow'. I feel sorry for them, it's not their fault, other people who were without luggage were giving them a lot of jip.

The whole experience was so bad we don't even feel like flying back with them …. can you check and see what we would get back on the ticket if we cancelled and bought tickets back on a decent airline …. maybe KLM that you always recommend. The ticket itinerey is attached.

Anyway look forward to seeing you in Cape Town in a couple of weeks …........

rascott3888
13th Feb 2015, 03:47
Something does not add up in this story. But you cannot expect the local media to ask difficult questions of their beloved airline.

The head of HR noted that "right now we have over 75,000 employees in Dubai and around the world."

In addition "Emirates said that the new recruits will increase its head count by 6 per cent by March 2016."

A 6% increase in staff numbers is a net increase of just 4,500 people. Which, if they are hiring 11,000 means that they expect 6.500 to leave (8.7% of the current workforce).

So the real story here may be that EK is losing 18 staff every day.

The Guru
13th Feb 2015, 04:53
Emirates Group plans to add 11,000 new staff in the coming year across its businesses including the airline...The company includes the air services provider dnata and its fast-growing carrier...Emirates said that the new recruits will increase its head count by 6 per cent by March 2016....About half of the new hires will be Dubai-based cabin crew for the airline, Emirates said.

Rascott,

My reading of the article is recruitment of about 5,500 cabin crew between now and March 2016, with the rest of the staff going in to other roles within the airline, or in to other Group related business units. That seems more in line with the calculated expectations, but I agree it does not make significant allowance for the current rates of attrition.

The G.

MR8
13th Feb 2015, 07:51
If we read a little bit between the lines and use the numbers Emirates provides us with, we can conclude that at least 20% of the cabin crew is leaving this year.

1000 new employees of which about half are cabin crew: 5500 new CC.
19000 cabin crew currently, which is about 80 per aircraft.
20 new aircraft, so without phasing out any aircraft, that's about 1600 new CC positions needed.

5500-1600 = 3900 CC positions available to replace CC that left during the year.
3900 of a total of 19000 is just over 20%, and that is without the phasing out of some A330's and B777 taken into account.

The funny thing is, in a similar article for Khaleej Times (http://www.khaleejtimes.com/kt-article-display-1.asp?xfile=data/uaebusiness/2015/February/uaebusiness_February130.xml&section=uaebusiness)a few days ago, the last paragraph says: 'More than anything, these facts illustrate the type of employer we are'
Well, actually, if I look at these numbers, it does show what kind of employer EK is, but probably not in the sense that they think they are...

ruserious
14th Feb 2015, 05:25
Analysis and your logic appear to be spot on MR8 :ok:

ironbutt57
14th Feb 2015, 09:51
Attrition rates are of no concern to these companies, as managers themselves have already planned their escape, staying just long enough to fill their money buckets before they get sacked, run away home...the long term impact of high attrition rates in the long run is of no concern to them..

JAARule
14th Feb 2015, 14:46
Well-said, Ironbutt... :ok:

Capetonian: our luggage didn't make it on the same flight as us although there was 4 hours connexion timeWere they on the 380 service? Did you tell them about the Baggage Boeing??

Once again, the company is representative of the greater outlook here: tourism, shopping-holidays, investments, employment, etc - aside from the constant indian trade, they seem to operate on the basis of "everyone will try it once" and the word never really gets around to the rest of the population.

White Knight
14th Feb 2015, 19:57
That would be the 'baggage boeing' that used to leave staff behind from the West Coast?

ironbutt57
15th Feb 2015, 07:12
Once again, the company is representative of the greater outlook here: tourism, shopping-holidays, investments, employment, etc - aside from the constant indian trade, they seem to operate on the basis of "everyone will try it once" and the word never really gets around to the rest of the population.

Reminiscent of Herb Kelleher's response letter he used to send to passengers who wrote complaint letters about his staff/service....along the lines of "if you are unhappy with Southwest's service, there are a million other passengers waiting for your seat"...apparently he was right

BigGeordie
15th Feb 2015, 08:04
In this connected day and age people will try a service once.....

Then get onto Twitter/Facebook etc to tell the whole world what they thought of it. Even Ryanair has had to become a little bit more customer focused. Bad news travels fast.

uba737
15th Feb 2015, 08:33
I guess that B777 Freighter to LAX 3 times a week helps the BIG Ugly Beast not leave any staff behind or Cargo or anything else coming from the West Coast!

fatbus
15th Feb 2015, 08:37
You obviously have not had the brief from the flt ops performance engineers WRT the 380.

Capetonian
15th Feb 2015, 08:52
People will always buy, and continue to buy, if something is cheap enough. Some people, that is, but clearly enough to fill seats on the airlines whose offer is based primarily on price.
Having cheap airlines around suits me fine, it keeps the others competitive and it keeps the cheapest passengers off the carriers I use. Win win for everyone.

uba737
15th Feb 2015, 10:38
You are right, best airplane in the world! whatever!

fatbus
15th Feb 2015, 14:49
Who cares about what type , the pay is the same .

GoreTex
15th Feb 2015, 15:53
uba,

flew to IAH full both sectors, was both times 30t below max take off weight, never left any staff behind, but would love to leave you behind tho

glofish
15th Feb 2015, 16:12
Halleluja!

Thank God we have the 380 and Delta has not.
It will be the reason we will certainly get a higher bonus than the Delta guys, because they are, as the whole world, misguided (Gulf News) and mismanaged (TC) in not ordering this wonderful piece of engineering. Just imagine how much higher their profit would be if they would have listened to the enlightened of this region! ;)

But back to the thread:
The propaganda team offering us the fantastic math about the need of newbees are probably be the same team preparing the flt ops performance numbers ....
Contrary to some dreamers on here, I no longer believe anything coming from either the GN or Safar Pravda.

Give me my contractual leave, accept resignations from the CC who want to escape the ME Guantanamo, only then you might have the arrogance of publishing such bs without being exposed as blatant liars!

jack schidt
15th Feb 2015, 16:44
It is about time that Emirates recruited some decent new aircrew anyhow. In SAFAR it is very rare to ever see flight crew get a Najim. We the flight crew are the ones who without doubt that are the least deserving of a new pen Najim reward it seems!

It is obviously more important to be mentioned in COSTA in the HQ atrium by the ones who do the really hard work there to be able to get the free and well deserved pen.

J

The Outlaw
15th Feb 2015, 18:35
As far as I'm concerned, they can shove their precious and meaningless "najm" or whatever the hell they call it these days straight up their arse.

Do any of the pilots really care anyway? The company lost the respect of that group long ago...very few if any have any respect for management so why does this matter?

As has been regaled time and time again.....GF the 2nd....need we say more?

The greedy ones will take their fat bonus' home while HH wonders "what happened"?

The Americans are going to quell the expansion of the ME3 while they pay big profit shares to their employees...this buys their loyalty in the fight against the eastern invasion.....you figure it out....I think they're the smart ones.

uba737
16th Feb 2015, 01:06
GoroTex, LOL! Im not worried about you leaving me behind anywhere! Easy to threaten someone else from behind a computer screen!

Am NOT Sure
16th Feb 2015, 06:29
How will the current attrition rate (not pilots) affect Ek's ranking in the Middle East ?

Qatar and etihad are seriously considering elevated work conditions for their workforce but they both sill lacking in brand and recruitment hordes aren't an immediate threat today

(Hello tomorrow ) is certainly going to change because tomorrow is not very sunny

palm
16th Feb 2015, 09:36
Goretex, we all know that neither the Cpt nor the Fo have any rights to decide wether you can or can't accept staffs...

GoreTex
16th Feb 2015, 10:01
of course not, thats why I wrote "would love to leave you behind tho"

harry the cod
18th Feb 2015, 22:38
palm

Well, perhaps asking the station 'red cap' if staff are trying to get back may be a start. Not much you can do if you have around 20 staff with cargo weight restrictions but 2-4 staff can always be fitted in if you're clever with the numbers. And I always insist that if we're not restricted on weight, nobody is left behind if there are seats available. I don't care who's upgraded, we go full. It makes no sense whatsoever leaving people behind with empty seats.

I don't need the 6000 extra back in Dubai if 5600 can get a few staff back. :ok:

Harry

bringbackthe80s
20th Feb 2015, 17:10
Not sure if it's Dubai who turned people like this...but one thing you are absolutely right, they will have NO problems in finding good (enough) people, including and especially pilots, without raising the conditions one bit.

Machspeed
24th Feb 2015, 21:14
Dubai2004, I guess it's all relative. Me? lol, don't post pictures for fear of retribution from the company.

I truly don't care for Dubai. Don't like pretentious drama either. We're all here for different reason. When that reason is gone or out weighed but the need to go back home and live a much easier life, them I'm Outta Here.

Was in Dubai for the first time on a Business trip in 2009. Of course it was a ghost town then. But when we left, we never said, oh I'd love to live here. No instead I'll go back to the promise land. Blue skies and road safety!

EK does promote to its employees that this is the greatest place to live. Uh, I'm from California. 😉

Cheers.

fatbus
25th Feb 2015, 03:37
Dubai 2004 good post. If people think EK will struggle to get people they're wrong. All that's going to happen is increase the amount of training. I'm not sure if QR is still hiring non FA's to do just cabin service and no door /safety responsiblity. But that might be something coming, pilots just more DEC's. Remember that your own career progression is not their concern.