PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 posts!

Hoverman
5th Jun 2002, 18:00
And it coincides with the anniversary of Heliport's first year as Moderator.
I thought the occasion shouldn't pass without a word of gratitude for the fantastic work he (or she??) has done building up the forum.
I started browsing just about when lots of the Mil pilots were leaving after a row which IMHO should never been allowed to happen. Although I didn't blame them, the forum was a bit dead for a time after that.
We now have some top class contributors sharing their experience, and the forum is lively and interesting again.
Heliport has even managed to tempt some of the Mil pilots back with links to Rotorheads on the Mil Aircrew forum. Good people used to come and go, but now their encouraged to stay.

I'm probably not the only one who usually takes all the hard work for granted but I hope you agree one pat on the back and a vote of thanks to Heliport in a year isn't exactly OTT!

Well done Heliport, Sir (or Ma'am?) !! :)

md 600 driver
5th Jun 2002, 18:43
pat on the back for all

B Sousa
5th Jun 2002, 19:50
Lets see. I had 285, then seven were deleted, hell I was deleted. so Im back to 278, so now with this one......Oh Well, I was never good at Math....
20,000 does not sound like many, but it wont be long for its 100,000.
Hats off to those who have to sort through a lot of this stuff, I will keep you on your toes......

Alty Meter
5th Jun 2002, 20:16
I couldn't agree more Hoverman. I suppose it's inevitable we take things for granted, and it's good to be reminded now and again that we shouldn't.
Well done Heliport!
And many thanks for all your hard work buidling up the forum.
BTW, your 'advertising links' on other forums to threads on Rotorheads work - I followed one and got here! :D

Skycop
5th Jun 2002, 21:04
Hear, hear. Well done chaps, both Heliport AND Helidrvr :)

I was one of those who desisted from posting for a while when we first got a moderator. I think most of us have returned to the forum in one guise or another.

Here's to many more!!

t'aint natural
5th Jun 2002, 21:13
Which ppruners top the league table for posts, and what subjects have excited most debate? I would estimate that a third of all posts are Lu Zuckerman's maunderings on the 18 degree offset on a Robinson, and another ten per cent would be Dave Jackson postulating some twisted and pointless but vaguely entertaining technical nonsense. There'd be a significant number of poor lost souls tentatively beginning "I'm just about to start my PPL(H) and I wondered if you could tell me anything about the job market..." My vote for Thread of the Year - Ho Lung Chun, no contest. Poster of the Year - Nick Lappos. How the man finds the time to interact with lesser mortals defeats me. Moderator of the Year - Heliport (wa-heeeyyyy) even though he/she did excise my perfectly reasonable post on Gazelles butletsnotstartthatagain.

Thomas coupling
5th Jun 2002, 21:29
hear, hear. Must be one of the best forums in the industry - worldwide. Great for venting one's feelings too;)

Keep it:
sane
coming
funny
frustrating
intriguing
free!

PPRuNe Radar
5th Jun 2002, 23:31
t'ain't natural

Top 10 posters are here .....

http://www.pprune.org/forums/memberlist.php?s=&what=topposters&perpage=10

Nick Lappos
6th Jun 2002, 01:21
Heliport,
Thanks for your kind and wise help. This is a really good neighborhood to hang around in, and you are one very big reason why.

Thanks!

Nick

virgin
6th Jun 2002, 07:02
Nicely put Nick Lappos. I agree.

Congrats on your first year Heliport. You've done a top job. Much appreciated. :)

Good thought, Hoverman. We do take things for granted, and it's good to say thank you if only once a year! Well done you for prompting us.

RW-1
6th Jun 2002, 11:13
Agreed, Bravo Zulu !

Vfrpilotpb
6th Jun 2002, 20:05
I have always enjoyed Prune since I was guided to it by an old friend, Rotorheads is almost like a reference book, you ask a question and not only do you get absolute fact given to you, but you get the slight variations as well, from very well time served flyers, that sort of info is given so freely , that it makes you feel everyone is with you when you stretch further into the flight envelope, a very unique feeling and one quite frankly I am glad I have found, Keep it up Heliport and very well done in your first year?

My regards
Peter RB :D

Hone22
7th Jun 2002, 02:56
:) :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes:

Yep, many thanks to the Moderators ( Port + Drvr) and the rest of the team at pprune for making it happen.

Big up's to all members taking part in the community thats come about here. A very professional attitude from all.

As stated earlier keep it

interesting
varied
coming etc..........

EESDL
7th Jun 2002, 08:48
-ditto-

nomdeplume
7th Jun 2002, 20:45
I'd like to add my support to the compliments already paid to Heliport for all the hard work he puts into making Rotorheads a success.
Congratulations on your first year, Heliport. And may it be the first of many. :)

PPRuNe Towers
7th Jun 2002, 23:18
Danny and I would like to firmly second all the praise and thanks being offered.

After 7 years of building this site up we're more aware than anyone of the time and effort that has to be put into making a forum a success.

There are no shortage of alternative sites out there and it's hugely gratifying watching you all vote with your mouse over the last year. No adverts, not even a press release issued but the word has spread. You've all contributed towards creating a cracking good forum and, whatever the financial pressures, we're totally committed to keeping it here for you.

Rob

heedm
7th Jun 2002, 23:55
BZ

MightyGem
8th Jun 2002, 04:26
Heliport, it seems that you are thinking of leaving us. :( Don't do it! We need you. Someone has to keep us in check, and you do a damn fine job. :D

Whirlybird
8th Jun 2002, 08:00
Heliport, that's the second rumour I've heard that you might be leaving us. Don't you DARE even think about it!!!!

In the last year:

1) Rotorheads has changed from a forum you could keep up with by glancing at once a week, to one that requires you to take your breakfast to the PC (yes, I 'm doing that right now, honest :eek: ) to make sure you haven't missed anything.

2) Turned from somewhere where PPL(H)s crept in and apologised for their existence, to a forum that's popular with everyone who flies helicopters - and a lot of others besides, judging by the people who seem to have read my California thread at least.

3) Become so wellknown that you can talk about Rotorheads to flying people in general without them looking at you like you were talking in ancient Mongolian.

4) Means even more of the world seems to have worked out who Whirly is - I'm getting a bit tired of going to some obscure fly-in, uttering three words, and someone says: "Oh, I know who you are; you're Whirlybird" :eek: :)

Now Heliport, I don't know if you're to be held responsible for all that. I mean, it's purely circumstantial evidence, or some fancy term like that. A jury would definitely acquit you. But not a jury of fellow Rotorheads, by the looks of this thread. We like having you around, in case you hadn't noticed yet.

Or to put it another way, how would you feel if you left us and Rotorheads upped and died? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Incidentally, Helidrvr, this is in no way meant to imply that we don't appreciate you; we most definitely do, but we're used to you being there - and you haven't threatened to leave us!!!

virgin
8th Jun 2002, 11:20
I haven't heard that rumour.
But what I have heard from several people is total respect for the way Heliport stepped in and got a grip of the 'problem' thread last weekend. I didn't get involved but what it needed was a Moderator to calm things down not fuel the flames with provocative comments. (Sorry Helidrvr, your judgement was 'waaaaaay off' on that occasion.)
Heliport's decsion to close the thread while PPRuNe Admin made a decision stopped it getting completely out of hand and undoing all the improvements we've seen in the last year. The forum is now back on course.
Keep up the good work Heliport. :cool:

Arkroyal
8th Jun 2002, 13:56
I'd like to add my thanks to Heliport and all the other stalwarts who make this forum possible. It is the place to go for info about the rotary fraternity.

I'm flying planks now, but will be wobbling aloft again soon to renew my ATPL(H)! Can't wait.

crop duster
8th Jun 2002, 16:27
:D Thanks to all who make this sight happen. I'll admit when I get to the airport each morning before I start spraying I check Rotorheads to see what's up. It's such a different attitude here compared to Justhelicopters. Sure, there a few that might get under your skin but as a whole it's a toatlly different atmosphere.

Keep up the good work, a little stirring of the pot never hurt as long as we don't attack each other.
Barryb

Skycop
8th Jun 2002, 19:59
Long may it continue.

But let's keep it like a good rotorhead should be.

Tracked and balanced! ;)

Heliport
12th Jun 2002, 01:55
Time to close this topic.
Thank you all for your kind posts. I've responded separately: 'Onwards and Upwards'.