PDA

View Full Version : Time can travel backwards

SpringHeeledJack
10th Feb 2015, 11:48
Bizarre quantum experiment suggests time can run backwards | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2946445/Can-past-changed-FUTURE-Bizarre-quantum-experiment-suggests-time-run-backwards.html)

So, it would seem the gist of these experiments is that our future selves are having an affect on the present self, much as our present day actions will likely have an effect on our future selves……Mine must be a bit pissed off as things could be a bit smoother in all honesty. :}

SHJ

rgbrock1
10th Feb 2015, 13:28
SHJ:

Interesting hypothesis. However, in trying to get my mind around your theorem, the following occurred.

http://um-insight.net/downloads/351/download/lib-head-explode.jpg?cb=ed07d31eb58f4b145920d706b67a86ec

And now I have a headache as well. Gee thanks. You're s swell guy. :}

SpringHeeledJack
10th Feb 2015, 14:13
My pleasure, it will help to keep you warm during your latest snow event, assuming that NE shared some of it's snow with you ?

SHJ

OFSO
10th Feb 2015, 14:22
Looking at the way in which the most impossible and unlikely rumours were promoted and used to spread during the Middle Ages, I'd say the Daily Mail Online can also travel backwards.

Incidently the by-line is:

By ELLIE ZOLFAGHARIFARD FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

Is there an anagram lurking in ZOLFAGHARIFARD perchance ? Where's my Enigma.......

G0ULI
10th Feb 2015, 14:26
When it comes to the quantum world, all results are probabilistic. For example, can know exactly where something is at a given moment, but you cannot know how fast it is travelling, or if it is moving at all. Any measurement you make will affect the object you are observing at these scales.

It is possible to make a series of measurements minimising interaction with an object or series of similar particles, but this results in a spread of results giving a high probability result, not a definite yes/no answer.

What Schrodinger was trying to get across in the famous cat in a box thought experiment is that there are some things that are just fundamentally unknowable. In the absence of information, all hypotheses are equally valid. Whether the cat in the box is alive or dead is completely irrelevant until the box is opened and the result then has an impact on our macro world. The cat is either alive or it is dead. if the cat is dead, we can perhaps determine at what time it died after it was shut in the box and given a series of experiments we can determine the average life expectancy of a cat shut in a box that is going to die.

We can predict that 50% of the time, a cat will survive and an average time at which a cat that doesn't survive will die. However we cannot predict which cats will survive and the knowledge of a time of death will actually be irrelevant when a cat dies, because it has no significance until the box is opened and we become aware of the result.

So things can apparently happen in the future, that appear to influence events in the past. The reality is that we are just not aware of that influence happening now, because we have no way of making a measurement without it influencing the result. We can make very delicate measurements that allow a 90%+ prediction to be made, but we can never be absolutely sure.

dazdaz1
10th Feb 2015, 14:50
I shouldn't really post this until after 11th April 2015 Having said that, I don't think my following post would alter a future time line (having been there) concerning the Grand National horse race.

What I'm about to divulge is the winner of the 2015 11th April. 'Spring Heeled' today the odds are 33/1 five hours before the start of the race the odds dropped to 8/1

rgbrock1
10th Feb 2015, 14:50
SHJ:

My pleasure, it will help to keep you warm during your latest snow event, assuming that NE shared some of it's snow with you ?

In this part of NY State we get snow that NE doesn't even get sometimes. ("Lake Effect" snow. Damned lakes. Just drain them.)

And just as cold if not colder. It's a New York thing!!!

OFSO
10th Feb 2015, 15:00
For example, can know exactly where something is at a given moment, but you cannot know how fast it is travelling, or if it is moving at all.

This of course also explains those dodgy off-shore investment accounts. At any one moment they can show a taxable profit or redeemable loss, or frequently both at the same time, or be owned by one person or suddenly managed by several (or an infinite number of) shell companies borrowing against each other at ludicruous rates of interest and incurring huge chargable losses in countries where such losses are refundable against gains made elsewhere......

I won't, of course, mention Tony Blair's name in connection to this....

tony draper
10th Feb 2015, 15:02
That's spooky Mr rgbrock1, just watched this last night, excellent documentary.:ok:
Drain The Great Lakes - YouTube

rgbrock1
10th Feb 2015, 15:10
Wow Tony D! I'll watch later when I have some additional time. Spooky indeed!

MG23
10th Feb 2015, 15:50
So things can apparently happen in the future, that appear to influence events in the past. The reality is that we are just not aware of that influence happening now, because we have no way of making a measurement without it influencing the result. We can make very delicate measurements that allow a 90%+ prediction to be made, but we can never be absolutely sure.

Yes. Every non-trivial solution to the relativistic Schrodinger equation has two solutions, one that goes forward in time and one that goes backwards. That's basically just a complex mathematical way of saying that we don't know the state of an object until we make a measurement on it, but it's always been in that state... the 'sending information back in time' is a mathematical abstraction.

flying lid
10th Feb 2015, 16:01
http://www.lolriot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/What-if-Discourage-Time-Travel.jpg

tony draper
10th Feb 2015, 16:22
Can we read your post last week Mr Lid? :rolleyes:

Pelikal
10th Feb 2015, 17:07
He sent it tomorrow, Mr.D.

Hydromet
10th Feb 2015, 20:45
That explains why the hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

onetrack
10th Feb 2015, 22:37
I reckon I've been through more than a few small country towns in the rural areas of Australia, where time runs backwards. :rolleyes:
In these places, the locals main entertainment, generally involves sitting around, watching the paint peel on the verandahs. :hmm:

Pinky the pilot
11th Feb 2015, 00:42
I reckon I've been through more than a few small country towns in the rural areas of Australia, where time runs backwards.
In these places, the locals main entertainment, generally involves sitting around, watching the paint peel on the verandahs

Drove through a small town well off the main roads in the Murray Mallee one time.

Every house/shop along the 'main street' was deserted! In what once functioned as the town square was a war memorial. The number of names of those killed during both wars was a bit staggering.:sad:

Time here, apparently stopped.

However, the ground around the memorial was reasonably neat. So someone, somewhere, still cared.:ok:

reynoldsno1
11th Feb 2015, 01:54
One can travel back in time every night, just looking at the stars and their fossilised light arriving from millions of years ago ...

ehwatezedoing
11th Feb 2015, 02:20
Or once a year during what they call Daylight Saving Times when you set your clock one hour back.

There also this jet-lag thing I believe.... Worked only with the Concorde no!? :p

hoofie
11th Feb 2015, 04:17
I seem to recall Brian Cox doing a demo on the TV on how you could theoretically travel back in time if you could warp space-time into a cylinder.

His demo involved timelines on a piece of paper and was rather convincing.

rgbrock1
11th Feb 2015, 12:06
I don't know anything about time traveling backwards as the whole concept boggles my feeble brain.

But I DO know that in space, no one hears you fart. :}:}:}

dazdaz1
11th Feb 2015, 15:53
reynolds... That's a very good point "One can travel back in time every night, just looking at the stars and their fossilised light arriving from millions of years ago"

It's more than likely that the solar systems viewed from Hubble may not exist any more. Were viewing old 'photos/light' from millions/billions of years ago.

You raise a very good point, of which the majority of non astronomical persons presume looking at the heavens is 'real time' it may be so millions of years ago. Good post:ok:

OFSO
11th Feb 2015, 17:01
If you want evidence that time travels backwards, note that the Eurovision Song Contest is still being held every year.