PDA

View Full Version : Neil Armstrong Memorabilia.

Don_Apron
9th Feb 2015, 19:39
I found this article fascinating to say the least.

Neil Armstrong's bag of moon landing mementos space discovered in a closet | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2944854/Neil-Armstrong-s-secret-bag-moon-landing-mementos-supposed-remain-space-discovered-widow-closet.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490)

Fantome
9th Feb 2015, 20:24
He lost a finger when his wedding ring caught on a protruding part of his truck when he jumped too hastily from it.

Neil Armstong's digit - - what am I offered?

ShyTorque
9th Feb 2015, 21:29
A man after my own heart. Never throw anything away.

(You never know when you might need some moon landing stuff). ;)

Don_Apron
9th Feb 2015, 21:53
Possibly showed the signs of a hoarder.

P6 Driver
10th Feb 2015, 04:00
If you're going to lift some items from work, it certainly beats a ream of paper or a couple of biros!

probes
10th Feb 2015, 07:37
Researchers from the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal were recruited by the Smithsonian to determine whether items, such as Mr Armstrong's helmet straps (pictured) were aboard Apollo 11
ok, as it's also said the items are priceless, how come researchers were needed? Did he just walk out of the spaceship, told "I'd like to keep some little things" and everybody forgot about them?

tony draper
10th Feb 2015, 08:23
Didn't the tradition start well back during the Mercury program,the chaps used to take rolls of coins and such,worth a few quid were coins that had been in space then,and now I suppose.
:)

MOSTAFA
10th Feb 2015, 08:23
Everything about the man is fast becoming priceless and quite rightly so - what else is there to be the first man to do?

tony draper
10th Feb 2015, 08:25
Understand womenfolk? :rolleyes:

teeteringhead
10th Feb 2015, 09:15
He lost a finger when his wedding ring caught on a protruding part of his truck when he jumped too hastily from it.

Thought it was a light aircraft rather than a truck? No matter; still a reminder.

Used to use it as a safety lesson for wearing gloves/not wearing rings when flying or working on aircraft.

Shame to have walked on the Moon and lose a finger in an avoidable accident.

Like I also used to use the case of Francis Gary Powers (of SAMed U2 fame), who survived that incident only to lose his life when the helicopter he was flying for photo-journalism ran out of fuel ........:(

Edited to add:

Something I only became aware of last year when I visited Kitty Hawk (a Hadj which should be undertaken by all aviators!) was that Armstrong had taken a piece of the fabric from the Wright Flyer to the Moon on Apollo 11.

A fascinating reminder that less than 66 years separated those two events. Wow! (with apologies for aviation content on JB ;))

probes
10th Feb 2015, 09:50
Everything about the man is fast becoming priceless
sure, that's not what I was wondering - I was wondering how researchers and determining were needed, not like someone from the team saying: "Aha, these are the things he kept, good they're found."

wiggy
10th Feb 2015, 11:25
probes..

ok, as it's also said the items are priceless, how come researchers were needed? Did he just walk out of the spaceship, told "I'd like to keep some little things" and everybody forgot about them?

Most (?all) of the items involved were slated to be left in the Lunar Module(LM) after it was abandoned by the crew in Lunar orbit after they had met back up with the Command/Service Module. Since the LM wasn't supposed to make it back to Earth then items such as LM crew restraints, LM optical sights, LM hand controllers (joysticks), etc were effectively "written off" the inventory and certainly nobody would be looking for them post flight...

As TD and others have said there was an established tradition that the astronauts could keep some such small items, but they were rules regarding the astronauts making financial gain out of items carried (Apollo 15 and first day covers being a major case of the SHTF).

Apollo 15 postage stamp incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_15_postage_stamp_incident)

There has however been a relatively recent change in the law to allow the astronauts to make a few bobs/cents..

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-092612a.html

as a result

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-052314a-rrauction-apollo15-joystick.html

As for the researchers - Whether you're an famous museum of international renown planning to put items on display, or you are an individual planning to buy/sell at auction you sure as heck need someone to establish provenance. That's where the likes of the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal's experts come in...they've probably got more expertise in Apollo hardware than anyone now working at NASA.

probes
10th Feb 2015, 12:32
thank you, wiggy, that's a clear answer - even though I had trouble formulating an understandable question! :)