PDA

View Full Version : "Smart" TV owners: SAMSUNG warns owners of their TVs...

airship
9th Feb 2015, 16:48
From the BBC here (http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31296188): Samsung is warning customers about discussing personal information in front of their smart television set.

The warning applies to TV viewers who control their Samsung Smart TV using its voice activation feature.

Such TV sets "listen" to some of what is said in front of them and may share details they hear with Samsung or third parties, it said.

One should never do or say anything in front of your (mine is a LG) TV that you wouldn't when outside in any public space. All fule now that: the sensor which supposedly just measures the ambient light so as to adjust the LED back-lighting is also a low-def. camera; the speaker/s also act as a reverse microphone when not operating as a loud-speaker; in fact, the whole TV screen acts as a passive reverse high-def. LCD camera (HD1080 or 4K) when in standby-mode. All the data is compressed, stored and streamed direct to the NSA / GCHQ (insert other agency here) when connected etc.

OFSO
9th Feb 2015, 16:54
Actually for more than 50 years the government has been spying on people who watch television, even in the days of cathode ray tubes. For this reason I always go outside when watching TV and use binoculars from the far end of the garden. If anyone else is present and we need to converse, I write messages on a piece of paper, being sure not to turn the written side towards the TV. (Remember HAL lipreading in "2001" ?)

It pays to Take Precautions.

rgbrock1
9th Feb 2015, 17:02
OFSO wrote:

Actually for more than 50 years the government has been spying on people who watch television, even in the days of cathode ray tubes. For this reason I always go outside when watching TV and use binoculars from the far end of the garden.

You haven't been arrested yet, OFSO? Or what about the men in the white coats? :}

El Grifo
9th Feb 2015, 17:23
Bit early for April 1st , No ??

El G.

MG23
9th Feb 2015, 17:54
Who, exactly, asked for this 'feature' in the first place?

El Grifo
9th Feb 2015, 18:08
Only apparently if you activate the voice command system. Which of course is NOT OBLIGITORY !!!!

El G.

airship
9th Feb 2015, 18:17
All savvy terrorists just use the camera-activated command feature:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Givingthefinger.jpg/146px-Givingthefinger.jpg

The kind folks at MI5/6, CIA, DGSE etc. immediately switch the TV over to channel 1... ;)

MG23
9th Feb 2015, 18:19
Only apparently if you activate the voice command system. Which of course is NOT OBLIGITORY !!!!

1. Do you really trust them to turn it off?
2. Does it put up a big box saying 'we're now sending everything you say out over the Internet' if you do turn it on?

ian16th
9th Feb 2015, 18:29
Today's TV's are virtually large screen IPads or other tablet.

P6 Driver
9th Feb 2015, 18:35
I enjoyed the interview on BBC News today in which some chap said that no-one ever reads the small print on agreements like the one Samsung put up about their TV. Sorry to be dull and boring, but I do read them and knew how to disable the feature.

TWT
9th Feb 2015, 19:21
My 'Smart' TV is 3 years old,and has only been connected to the internet once,the day after I bought it, to download new firmware.Trouble was,that then wiped all the picture settings I'd spent a while setting up,so had to do it all again.

I was well aware that trusting a huge multinational company not to collect information and phone it home without telling me first was not wise.As far as I know it doesn't have an inbuilt camera or microphone (not listed as features) but I'm certainly not going to allow a potential surveillance device to be connected to the internet in my own home.I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to hack the TV for anyone so inclined either.

I have a bit of black electrical tape over the camera on my laptop as well.

For me, its more about defeating their attempts to collect targeted marketing information about me than any concerns about being watched by government agencies or hackers ;)

onetrack
9th Feb 2015, 23:25
I'm quite happy to overload the data-collection companies with a vast array of useless information that they obviously struggle to process and make sense of.
If they heard and copied down everything we discussed in our household, the data-collection arrangement would blow a gasket.

The alternator packs up on the Missus' Camry 6 mths ago, and I have a quick flick through the FleaBay to get pricing and values, and promptly go and buy a near-new alternator from a young bloke three suburbs away, who is parting his Camry after he blew the engine.

Meantimes, 6 mths down the track, FleaBay is still convinced I need a new alternator, and continue to send me alternator "suggestions" - with no knowledge of what I've actually acquired elsewhere.

I look through Gumtree to see what's on offer that might be a bargain - and I check out everything from aircraft, to trucks, to caravans, to 4WD's, to shed trusses, to scrap steel, to tools.
Mostly, I'm only looking to see what people are selling, to keep up with values.
Gumtree is now convinced I've won Lotto and I'm on a major spending spree, and I need a new 'plane, a new truck, a new caravan, a new 4WD, a new shed, all kinds of steel, and a truckload of tools.

Unbeknowns to them, I don't need a 'plane, I already have a truck, I don't need a caravan (I was just looking to see what the caravan item was, because I was curious), I've already organised a new shed from an associate, I bought the pieces of steel I wanted 3 weeks ago from a local steel supplier - and I've already got enough tools to make any man happy.

I want to sell the Missus' old Camry, so I check out the car sales sites for selling values, and now the car sites are now convinced I'm in the market for a 13 yr old Camry.
Little do they know we bought a near new Camry privately from a deceased estate, last October - and we bought it after seeing it on one of the sites. The deal was done within a couple of days of sighting the ad.

I do a search on CC deals and find a good one within an hour or so, and proceed with the deal. It's approved and set up within 60 seconds and I get the new card in the mail within 5 days.
Meantimes, the data-collection crowds are convinced I'm in the market for all kinds of financial deals, and I'm bombarded with investment offers, financial planning, and CC offers for the next 6 mths - fully 179 days after I've done my new CC deal and moved on to other interests. I have no need of investment advice, or financial planning, and I think they're grasping at straws, by offering them to me.

So, don't worry about what the TV data-collection companies are doing with your discussions.
They have little idea of what you're up to, because their collection process is like listening to broken whispers on the wind, where they are gleaning just small, erratic sound bites, from people that they know virtually nothing about - and those sound bites can be totally misleading at best.
They are always behind the 8-ball, and their information on you, is always out of date.

How about trying discussing a detailed murder plot from a book, in front of the TV, and see if the police are alerted to a possible murder in the planning? :)
You're more likely to start getting offers for DVD's of Miss Marples exploits, if you try out the discussion.
You're also more than likely to be bombarded with ads for items you have no interest in, or for items that you have already made up your mind about, and purchased 3 mths ago.

Even Google can't get my phone-tracking correct, and they can't even find half the roads and streets I search for.
Then when I do find that they have a search subject listed, it's usually positioned in the wrong spot on the map!

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2015, 23:46
Then there's the repeated telephone calls from those offering to reclaim PPI (ppiclaimback.co.uk/landing-page-b/) charges, not to mention the solar panels and replacement kitchens and double-glazed windows and conservatories . . .

david1300
9th Feb 2015, 23:52
I've solved the problem by unplugging my Smart TV :ok:

To p!ss them off even more I bought another large-screen smart TV for the bedroom and didn't even plug it in :) :)

Now I've bought another for my study so I can watch TV while working, but I fuled them completely - it's still in the carton it came in stored in the garage ;)

There's no way they're going to watch me :E:D

reynoldsno1
9th Feb 2015, 23:55
Only apparently if you activate the voice command system
Sorry to be dull and boring, but I do read them and knew how to disable the feature

So - do you activate it or de-activate it when you set it up?

Krystal n chips
10th Feb 2015, 05:06
" where they are gleaning just small, erratic sound bites"

Now, if you had written "small erotic sound bites".....

OFSO
10th Feb 2015, 09:45
I have a bit of black electrical tape over the camera on my laptop as well.

Yes, but are you sure there's a camera behind the orifice ? Maybe there's another one elsewhere, behind the screen as in the Samsung televisions.

Best wear a paper bag over your head until you download webcam on/off from snipca.com/14576 and hit "DISABLE". You know it makes sense !

TWT
10th Feb 2015, 10:47
I have a company laptop and do not trust the IT (with the silent 'sh')
department one little bit :ok:

maliyahsdad2
10th Feb 2015, 11:51
Best wear a paper bag over your head until you download webcam on/off from snipca.com/14576 and hit "DISABLE".

Thats what webcam on/off want you to think!

Pinky the pilot
10th Feb 2015, 12:21
You lot really aren't paranoid.:eek:

You do know that they really are out to get you, don't you!:uhoh:

Blacksheep
10th Feb 2015, 12:24
...and I've already got enough tools to make any man happy. Oh no you haven't! ;)

Tu.114
10th Feb 2015, 13:31
Telescreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescreen)

dazdaz1
10th Feb 2015, 15:03
Will Samsung be able to view my:ooh: actions while viewing a naughty movie?

axefurabz
10th Feb 2015, 18:49
Actually for more than 50 years the government has been spying on people who watch television, even in the days of cathode ray tubes. For this reason I always go outside when watching TV and use binoculars from the far end of the garden. If anyone else is present and we need to converse, I write messages on a piece of paper, being sure not to turn the written side towards the TV. (Remember HAL lipreading in "2001" ?)And the satellites? :suspect:

con-pilot
10th Feb 2015, 19:03
You do know that they really are out to get you, don't you!

Quite right, however, I have long ago learned to live with it. :p

ExSp33db1rd
10th Feb 2015, 20:59
Why has a black helicopter with no registration markings just landed at the bottom of my garden, I guess I'll

Blues&twos
10th Feb 2015, 21:37
I bought a Samsung smart TV for the bedroom. Within 3 days a bloke from Samsung turned up at my house to put a bit of black tape over the camera.

rh200
10th Feb 2015, 22:44
You can stop whispering: Your Samsung Smart TV isn?t spying on you | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/02/10/can-stop-whispering-your-samsung-smart-tv-isnt-spying-on/?intcmp=ob_homepage_tech&intcmp=obnetwork)
You can stop whispering: Your Samsung Smart TV isn’t spying on you

No but your Samsung smart airconditioner is:E

Seriously though.

The suggestion that Samsung Smart TVs are “always listening” is a misnomer, and at the core of all the scuttlebutt. The fact is, Samsung’s Smart TVs are asleep on the job 99 percent of the time. They’re programmed to “wake up” when they detect a pre-programmed phrase such as “Hi TV,”But the point is, they can, they are software controlled. So with some hacking it is possible that all the safety features could be bypassed, as some people with laptops etc. cameras have found out.

Basically what is needed is some physical lockout that is enabled by default, you enable it at your risk.

Pinky the pilot
11th Feb 2015, 00:32
There is another way of avoiding the issue;

Don't buy a smart TV.:}

Although I suspect that in due course that's all that will be available.

onetrack
11th Feb 2015, 00:57
I own a Samsung Smart TV - but I've got all them data collectors beat. It's because we speak 'Strine - they haven't got a clue what we're on about. We might as well be speaking one of the obsolescent Aboriginal languages. :)

SpringHeeledJack
11th Feb 2015, 07:17
Although I suspect that in due course that's all that will be available.

It's all heading in one direction as far as such devices are concerned…:(

SHJ

TWT
11th Feb 2015, 10:06
Samsung TVs freak users out by inserting ads into movies (http://mashable.com/2015/02/11/samsung-tvs-insert-ads-into-movies/)

Capot
11th Feb 2015, 10:21
You can all laugh as much as you like, but very few people know that virtually every CCTV system sold encodes and stores all the data it collects, which is then "harvested" on a weekly basis by using a car that drives a set route interrogating every CCTV system within 500m; the data are downloaded in a micro-second and wiped from the storage to make room for the next batch.

These cars are operated by GCHQ in the UK, and their equivalent elsewhere.

Systems installed in private houses are particularly valuable to GCHQ as they monitor whatever activity the home-owner set it to monitor.

OFSO
11th Feb 2015, 10:38
No but your Samsung smart airconditioner is

Not just Samsung, either, Panasonic too......