PDA

View Full Version : ICAO license

Janna_d
9th Feb 2015, 13:52
Hello Everyone!
The school i found in Kazakhstan Discovery Flight Scool is approved by ICAO. As they say it is acceptable in all countries. However it is not FAA or EASA approved license. Could You please explain me what is the difference between ICAO license and ICAO FAA approved license? :ugh:
Thank You!

Gargleblaster
9th Feb 2015, 20:11
I do not believe there is any such thing as an icao license. I do not think icao approves particular flight schools.

If what you get isn't approved by faa or easa it's probably worthless commercially.

paco
10th Feb 2015, 05:47
ICAO do not issue licences but they make recommendations that are adopted by its member states, so an FAA or EASA licence will also be ICAO compliant, as will be yours, but there is still a world of difference, as the ICAO standard will be a minimum.

Even within EASA there is a difference between countries!

If your licence is a PPL, you will find that most countries accept it without question, but if it is a CPL or ATPL, you might find it best to convert it - as mentioned, FAA or EASA seem to be the best choices. An FAA licence can be converted directly to a Canadian one, and the Australians appear to accept an EASA one by taking a law exam, and that can be directly changed for a New Zealand one. If ICAO did issue licences, life would be a lot easier :)

Tinstaafl
10th Feb 2015, 07:34
Read this: http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/134076-some-general-background-info-questions-frequently-asked-here.html

Janna_d
13th Feb 2015, 09:47
Thank you for your replies! Lots of new information!

Janna_d
13th Feb 2015, 09:48
Really helpful information! Thank You! Shall work on it

Tinstaafl
13th Feb 2015, 15:20
Oz will convert any ICAO country's licence with minimal fuss.

RedKing
6th Mar 2015, 08:34
My country (Ukraine) is not EASA member, so I am also thinking about getting the Ukainian CPL (ICAO standard) and convert it into the EASA ATPL (frozen). Taking into consideration current price for flight hour in Ukraine (due to ecomonical problems it is the lowest in Europe at the moment), this way (first ICAO, then convert to EASA) looks even cheaper comparing with complete study somewhere in EU.
So, even an ICAO license is not waste of money. I checked with different flight schools, it can be relatively easily converted into EASA one.