View Full Version : How much will it cost to get trained ???

anengineer
10th Jun 2001, 14:17
Hi,

I would be grateful for some estimates of how much money I need to raise in order to get myself from zero hours to a position where I am employable, by anyone, anywhere in the world, flying anything. ...whatever the lowest rung on the ladder is (cargo in a TurboProp ?).

I was under the impression that unless I had a minimum of 1,500 hrs and an ATPL then no-one would consider me for anything, but the very helpful guys in the Easyjet thread here have told me this is not neccessarily the case.

Raising £50,000 + is pretty insurmountable for me, but if it is less then I may stand a chance.

Many thanks in advance....

Autofly
10th Jun 2001, 16:50
So many uqestions that were answered yesterday at the seminars ...... lets see if I was listening.

Firsty, like the easyjet thread highlights, people will consider you with less than 1500 hours however you'll be doing well if its a jet job.

Secondly, you don't need 50k to do your licence. It was mentioned yesterday that the best way to do a CPL/IR multi is to go to a local school which has the capability of training you. I think this will be my line of attack. These smaller schools/clubs may give you a discount if you turn up with 33k to do a CPL. Yep, 33k! If you go to OATS you are another student on the books but if you go to a smaller school you are likely to be given a very warm welcome due to the amount of money you've got in your back pocket. The other thing is if you come out of OATS with a CPL/IR you have done the same exams/tests/course as Joe Bloggs Flying School. The only thing any future employer cares about is if you've got a CPL and its current, not where you did it or how much it cost you.

My advice is shop around and find out where you can do your licence cheaply, go get a Class 1 medical so your sure you can pass it and get on with a distance learning course for the ATPL exams. This is what I intend to do.

Hope this helps,

Autofly

(Was I listening or am I spouting sh*t????)

Hob78
11th Jun 2001, 02:24
They do care though. At the end of the day, if BA, for example, is comparing two identical CPL/IR applicants, the one trained ab-inito at Oxford is more likely to be hired than one trained modular at a smaller school, simply because they know what they are getting.

Not to knock the modular route, as that is what most people (myself included) will follow, but I do feel that, rightly or wrongly, airlines WILL look at where you trained if they can't decide between two candidates.

PolAir
12th Jun 2001, 08:45
yes, airlines look at where you have been trained. I am enroled in University of North dakota In US, and belive me, this is the best aviation school in the world! Airlines are fighting for us! I know the guy from my school, that got hired after internship with Delta with only 372 total hours!!!!!!! For international students this school will cost you about $85K.

outofsight
12th Jun 2001, 15:09
The cheapest deal out there is with Stapleford Flying club 25,000 pounds approx for zero hours to frozen ATPL. Some of the flying is done in the States but all the important flight tests are done in the UK.
Call them up and ask for the stapleford usa deal.