PDA

View Full Version : Superior skills, no bad airmanship bad judgement

markkal
9th Feb 2015, 13:17
Sfiorata collisione in volo tra due paracadutisti e il loro aereo (http://video.corriere.it/sfiorata-collisione-volo-due-paracadutisti-loro-aereo/e8f218f2-b050-11e4-8615-d0fd07eabd28)

Showing off by making abrupt vertical descents after dropping skydivers is now a common occurrence. I see it all the times at my airfield..This video shows a near miss with 2 skydivers the pilots probably did not even see..

what makes a professional pilot often non aerobatic rated do such things on non aerobatic a/c to show off, is a sign of bad judgement and bad airmanship..

There have been structural failures on Pilatus big singles due to inappropriate loads during dive recovery and Pilatus has issued warnings in this respects....But the habit carries on

Capot
9th Feb 2015, 13:47
Many years ago an Auster pilot "pulled the wings off" in a steep descent after an aerotow.

In fact, the port wing main strut failed, which allowed the wing to bend upwards; I'm not sure if it separated.

It was a combination of holes in the cheese that did for him (inadvertent flap setting, poor weld on a strut, very gusty day) but the accident would not have happened if he had been flying within the aircraft's placarded limits in the first place. Not doing so took him through the first hole.

Will people never learn?

aterpster
9th Feb 2015, 13:59
Jump pilots are usually quite young and building time. They are also the product of a less disciplined generation.

And, they are told by their superiors to get it back on the ground quickly (but safely). Some of them aren't the brightest lamp in town, thus they don't think through that the safety of jumpers is paramount both before and after they have departed the airplane.

Jet Jockey A4
9th Feb 2015, 14:15
WOW that was way too close for comfort!

SKS777FLYER
9th Feb 2015, 16:05
I expect the skydiver involved beat the living daylights out of that "pilot"
after the skydiver landed.
Not to mention what the girl's husband/boyfriend/brother/father did to the guy after they learned of the maneuver.

Naali
9th Feb 2015, 18:12
That happening to me,I would make sure that the pilot would know how much distance i will want to have between us. Telling it very near to him,in very personal way. I guess he would not sue me. Haven`t flown Porter,but i know it can be pointed almost 70-80 nose down when light. This guy seems to have left his brains behind on the ground,and thatīs why he is so much in a hurry to get them back to him. Tech guys may perhaps also want to tell him,that PT-6 bearings were designed to pull,not to push against ,for prolonged times.

Sop_Monkey
9th Feb 2015, 18:42
This act there of course is a sign of inexperience, lack of self discipline, giving in to commercial pressure, plain showing off, bad airman ship and yes poor judgement, to add just a few.

The pilot maybe a good manipulator of controls but unfortunately nothing between the ears. Good pilots (good manipulators of controls) do tend to kill themselves and others, more so than not so good pilots.

A good pilot in my mind, is a pilot who can make the right decisions and is safe.

"A pilot that thinks he/she is good is without exception, a bad pilot"

fatmanmedia
9th Feb 2015, 21:13
The simple solution to this problem is to revoke the pilots licence. It's one of the few videos where the action seen has one outcome, the drogue was in contact with the aircraft, if it had caught on something the outcome would have been disastrous, I’m all for pilots learning from their mistakes but that mistake nearly killed three people.

Harsh but in my mind the only course of action.

fats

Stanwell
10th Feb 2015, 00:07
fats,
I do think that, at the very least, that cowboy should be given a LONG holiday from flying of any sort.
Long enough for him to have the time to reflect on things - and grow up considerably.

"But sir, I thought that..."
"No, sonny, that's just it - you DIDN'T think - PERIOD! .. Dismissed!"

One hand on the wheel and the other hand on something else!

skyking1
10th Feb 2015, 03:54
wow. I hope he has seen that video. In the US he would get a suspension for it, I believe.

Jet Jockey A4
10th Feb 2015, 05:52
Now that video is going viral it will be interesting to see if there are any consequences to his actions.

specialbrew
10th Feb 2015, 15:29
This outfit is called "Thai Sky Adventures" based in Pattaya, Thailand.

currawong
13th Feb 2015, 23:19
It has to be said - the diver has the aircraft in view, yet continues with a converging course. The left hand with the camera may have been better placed steering.

Looks a lot like someone trying to get a "money shot" with a go pro and getting more than they bargained for.

Flame away.

Yes, I used to fly skydivers.

Saw some odd things, not like that though.

Sop_Monkey
14th Feb 2015, 09:26
Who gives way to who then? Are you implying the skydivers give way to aircraft?

Should'nt the first consideration be to safety of the passengers, even if they have just jump out?? If that is the extent of the pilot's airmanship I would have jumped out also!!

ShyTorque
14th Feb 2015, 12:40
The pilot was a complete idiot. One of our tasks was military para dropping. Our rules said that we didn't descend into the airspace we'd dropped in, until all chutes were accounted for, and even then, a wide avoidance given. We would never fly in a way that might result in the overtake of a jumper on the way down.

rantanplane
14th Feb 2015, 19:10
One of our tasks was military para dropping. Our rules said that we didn't descend into the airspace we'd dropped in

I thought mil paras usually get dropped behind the enemy line?
not a good place to descend anyway :hmm:

Stanwell
14th Feb 2015, 22:59
You're quite right, ShyTorque.
Just combine 'commercial imperatives' with youthful overconfident exuberance and you don't need more holes in the swiss cheese to line up.

rantanplane
15th Feb 2015, 15:15
this incident is a mid air collision as the skydivers equipment gets in touch with the aircraft, way after the drop out. I would expext a report to the authorities is mandatory by law in any regulated country. Once I got a reprimand for a midfield crossing in 1000ft as part of entering into the downwind. The tower told me the small airfield had occasional skydiving activity as indicated in the AIP.

btw I have witnessed old pilots become incomprehensible idiots like that guy when some young female flesh became part of their flying activities.
There are Schettino characters in aviation as well. I would assume this plane was in the hands of a young aged low timer, but do we really know?

ShyTorque
15th Feb 2015, 18:21
I thought mil paras usually get dropped behind the enemy line?
not a good place to descend anyway :hmm:

You think that the first drop a military parachutist does is behind enemy lines? :hmm::hmm:

rantanplane
16th Feb 2015, 18:57
Nope, I thought mil parachutists are getting trained as real as possible, from the very beginning. The enemy is always there..:eek:

PSF2J
17th Feb 2015, 17:49
Wow :mad:....that is why I refuse to jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft :}