PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Documentation onboard question?

JanetFlight
8th Feb 2015, 22:15
Hello aviation colleagues.

Im trying to search on the EASA site (EU-ops) but with no specific results. Does anyone knows if according to the mandatory documents to be carried onboard, is it mandatory a copy of the aircraft insurance onboard, or this "piece of paper" its not mandatory onboard as long as it could be presented to the authorities when requested, eg: via email (sent from operations hq, private owner, etc)?

Tks for your inputs :ok:

Ihadadream
9th Feb 2015, 10:16
Janetflight,
It's not a legal requirement to have the airframe insured, therefore you don't have to carry the document with you. But you will find airports, FBO's etc. will require you to have insurance.
Having planned and dispatched trips globally, I can attest to the fact that certain countries will require hull and liability insurance paperwork.
We used to photocopy the required paperwork, have it notarized and place it in the aircraft folder. All our paperwork was in English, but I know we had to get an Arabic version once. Go figure.
With my $0.02 for the price of a photocopy, you can't go wrong to have a couple of extra pages in the A/C folder.

JanetFlight
9th Feb 2015, 20:10
Tks for your attentious reply IHaH.

However when i read this article i became with the impression it was mandatory to have (at least in Europe) a full insurance:
Regulatory Brief -- European Mandatory Aircraft Insurance Requirements - AOPA (http://www.aopa.org/Advocacy/Regulatory-,-a-,-Certification-Policy/Regulatory-Brief-European-Mandatory-Aircraft-Insurance-Requirements)

But now you've written "It's not a legal requirement to have the airframe insured"... i got a lil bit more on the confusing side...maybe US FAA doesnt require it as "mandatory/compulsory", but Europe indeed requires it?

And as you wisely said...as long as it is insured, it wont hurt to get a copy onboard wherever you may go ;)

ChickenHouse
10th Feb 2015, 01:46
(EG) 785/2004 No country will let you enroll an airplane without proper basic liability insurance and if you do so, the insurance will send you a letter stating "it to be carried on board all times". Ramp check will also look at it.

Ihadadream
10th Feb 2015, 12:43
Chickenhouse - I agree that while no sane person operates a decent airframe without hull and liability, it is possible for me to name and shame certain people who do so under part 91 rules - one with a King Air and one with a Lear. This is for people who do not finance the aircraft. No sane bank would permit you to fly an asset without it.

Under FAA rules, it is not a requirement. Therefore should the aircraft remain in FAA airspace, it doesn't need one. But that is provided they operate under part 91 only.
Should they be operating for hire - 14 CFR 205 states they should have liability insurance and that a copy is filed with the FAA, and a copy is maintained at the operators office.
That being said, FBO's want proof of insurance when you are using their facilities, as do other aviation services.
That said, given we operated globally, we always had hull and liability insurance, and a copy of the policy was onboard. If necessary, a translated copy was also onboard in the aircraft folder. (I think Italy required a translation).
It does vary from authority to authority around the globe.