PDA

View Full Version : Journey Into Space

Xenophon
8th Feb 2015, 20:24
a.k.a. Idiot's Broth : Electric Soup . The one , the only Newcy Broon.

People say that it's not as good as in days of yore (have they stopped pumping the brew water out of the Tyne or adding a personage of a certain ethnicity to the brew ? ) and now , to appease the Septic market , it is to be adulterated even further by the brewers (not in Newcastle).
Many moons ago , I was a regular if moderate consumer. One night in Newcastle cured me of that - foolishy downing a not inconsiderable quantity of the stuff - being seriously indisposed for some days. :yuk:
After that, even the sight of a bottle made me distinctly queasy. Never touched a drop of the filthy stuff again.
Ban it forever I say :E

toffeez
8th Feb 2015, 20:50
When I was a student 50 years ago someone told me there was a special ward there for N Brown sufferers. Having tried the brew, I don't doubt it.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Feb 2015, 22:19
The Free Northumbrian Air Force was lucky enough to get a visit to the Tyne Brewery in the early 80's, and the joy of a 20 minute tour and a one and a half hour tasting session, instead of the usual other-way-around timings.

Howay the Lads!

I drank my age in pints of 'Dog', at 20. Young, Stupid and Happy.

Blacksheep
9th Feb 2015, 13:34
'Jorney inta Spee-as' is brewed overseas these days, so by definition it's no longer the real thing. Same with HP sauce and lots of other things. If the Americans wish to believe they are drinking beer from the very county where their first president's family hailed, they are sadly mistaken.

They might try a drop of Blacksheep Ale of course. North Yorkshire beer and every drop is the real thing.

Bergerie1
9th Feb 2015, 13:39
Aaaah! 'Journey into Space' with Jet Morgan and Lemmy, see:- Journey into Space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_into_Space)

joy ride
9th Feb 2015, 13:53
I still like Broon but it has declined in quality, as have Sharps Doombar and Bass since having been bought up by The Mass-Produced Beer-like Beverage Manufacturing Corporation Inc. of USA.

Fuller's Black Cab Stout is now a particular favourite of mine, along with Badger Brewery's Poacher's Choice.

tony draper
9th Feb 2015, 14:21
Locals would just say 'Boddlabroon landlord', which to a outsider would sound like someone farting in the bath. :)

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2015, 14:36
Gizzabroonjak - though I preferred Amber Ale or McEwan's Export meesell.

Never any of Vaux's soapy water.

dazdaz1
9th Feb 2015, 15:29
G-CPTN..... Have you tried (bottled ale 500ml) McEwan's 'Champion' I've just discovered it in the supermarket 7.3% :) A hearty brew indeed.

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2015, 16:15
These days I don't drink alone (no specific problem, just a decision of mine) and when in suitable company I prefer Hoegaarden or, if available, draught wheat-beer.

Tuborg Green, Staropramen or Budweiser Budvar are also acceptable.

Lonewolf_50
9th Feb 2015, 16:36
Indeed, Newcastle Brown is off of my list. Plenty of folks serve it over here, but something has changed. Used to enjoy it when it was a specialy ale only available at a few pubs/bars in the Washington and New York areas (where I first had some back in the 80's).

tony draper
9th Feb 2015, 17:05
The original Newcastle Brown Ale was only available in this area because it only had a shelf life of a few days,it used to go 'off' and had o be drunk within a few days of being brewed, when it started to get a reputation and being asked for in other areas the Brewery in the late sixties changed the recipee so it could be Pasteurised so it had a longer shelf life and could be sent forth to other areas.
At the time local Brown Ale drinkers were up in arms and wandered the streets howling that their tipple had been bastardised,which it had, the new Brown Ale was a pale shadow of its former self,so I was told, I never cared much for it before or after they had fecked with it.
:rolleyes:

ian16th
9th Feb 2015, 19:46
My publican father always referred to brown all as 'bottled mild'.

And yes he was being derogatory.

Xenophon
9th Feb 2015, 20:33
In the West Riding of Yorkshire (of happy memory) we young lads were told that it was "traditional" to pour your Broon into a 1/2 pint glass as and when required - never all of it into a pint pot. Is this correct Geordie procedure.? Or was someone pulling our collective plonkers. Ah needs to know.

tony draper
9th Feb 2015, 21:03
True Mr Xenphon,a Thin Half Pint Schooner was the correct protocol for broon ale suppin.
Come to think the Brown Ale schooner was slightly bigger then a half pint but I may be wrong there.
:)

om15
9th Feb 2015, 21:39
along with Badger Brewery's Poacher's Choice.

Ah, now you're talking, I had a brewery tour around the Hall and Wodehouse brewery a couple of years ago, everything computerised and controlled to several decimal points, except the addition of the ingredients, they still believe that a bloke with a sack of hobs/fuggles/whatever is a better measuring device than a computer.
My particular favourite is Golden Glory, Tanglefoot, Poachers Choice, Hopping Hare, Fursty Ferret, and the Blandford Fly. The last one made from ginger and named after an aerial spray that is annually sprayed over the river Stour to deter the Blandford fly, a local pest.
They also make a beer from stinging nettles called Stinger, rather an acquired taste.

Lonewolf_50
9th Feb 2015, 21:49
Tony, what you're telling me is that what I got back then wasn't the real thing?
I had no idea.
Anyway, even the knock-off has changed. :p

tony draper
9th Feb 2015, 22:02
Depends when yer had it Mr Wolf,Memory says the change was the late sixties but I may be wrong,Newcastle Brown Ale was a strange drink,it had summat in it if they were not used to it had the power to turn mild mannered bank managers paper shufflers vicars and such into raving loonies wanting to fight hairy arse dockers or foundry workers after four or five bottles.
It was not called maniacs broth milk of amnesia and journey into space without good reason,it was potent, def a fighting beer.
:uhoh:

Lonewolf_50
9th Feb 2015, 22:11
As my first quaff was in the 1980's, earlyish, I guess it wasn't the original.
So it goes.
I prefer Guinness anyway.

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2015, 22:14
Apparently, Guinness served in Dublin is different to that available elsewhere.

Carry0nLuggage
9th Feb 2015, 23:17
Indeed G-CPTN. It's not so fecking cold!