PDA

View Full Version : Medical research on lifestyle - who is right?

Exascot
8th Feb 2015, 14:42
In the past it was considered that smoking was good for you. Now we know that it is not.

The jury is still out on the number of glasses of red wine you should drink a day or not.

Goodness knows how many research programmes are carried out each year on what you should or should not eat. Many contradict each other.

Then there is excercise. The latest is just 10 mins three times a week will increase your life expectancy by about a million years. It always used to be 30 mins three times a week.

Now we have had a team of researchers working for years on how many hours a day does the avearge adult need to sleep. Conclusion - eight. Come on, this has been a know fact for ever. And what if you have insomnia?

Waste of money and resources? Who do you belive?

Personally, I am sticking to my 10 pints of lager a day until they prove that it is good for me.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Feb 2015, 14:58
I recall being at North Luff when the official RAF position changed from No Alcohol to A Pint A Day (stress relief I believe).
On that basis, everybody made a point of increasing their number of beers that evening by one!

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

airship
8th Feb 2015, 15:04
As long as someone else is paying, I'd be a willing participant in the following long-term research project:

Can a 50+ year old still pleasure a woman half his age, in 10 minutes or under, say twice a day? Can he maintain this performance whilst consuming a 6-pack of Heineken and 20 Café Crème cigarillos daily and eating spicy food? At what age does he actually drop dead (hopefully in the middle of the foremost exercise, with a smile on his face)? :ok:

ExXB
8th Feb 2015, 16:31
In the past it was considered that smoking was good for you.

I'm not so certain a medical study determined this. It was marketing, and paying people to say it was good for you. Meanwhile Big Tobacco was studying how to addict us easier. They continue to use those studies to this day and in 'new' products like e-cigs.

G-CPTN
8th Feb 2015, 16:54
I believe that WWII soldiers were issued with 'smokes' (maybe WWI too).

radeng
8th Feb 2015, 17:00
There was a report last week that hops contained a chemical which inhibited the start of dementia......So drink more beer?

Exascot, maybe they HAVE proved it is good for you! Now what?

alisoncc
8th Feb 2015, 17:40
I believe that WWII soldiers were issued with 'smokes' (maybe WWI too).Ciggies were so cheap, tax free, at the NAAFI that throwing a 20 pack of Senior Service on the table for everyone to help themselves was no big deal. As for offers of Woodbines or Park Drive, that was met with disdain. Only the lowest of the low smoked them.

My local newsagent would sell us kids single cigarettes for a penny each, and that was at the age of eleven. Mind you the off-licence would sell us alcoholic cider at the same age.

Remember the imported fags - Gauloise, Camel and Sobrani Black Russian. Rolling your own was popular because of the myriad of choices of tobacco available.

Often thought smoking was an alternative to eating. Which is/was causing the most harm lung cancer or obesity?

Rosevidney1
8th Feb 2015, 18:24
I think I read that in Victorian times Army doctors claimed that smoking was "a manly pursuit" and "threw wide the lungs"!

reynoldsno1
9th Feb 2015, 01:34
I believe that WWII soldiers were issued with 'smokes'
48 hr ration packs in the RAF in the 70's contained a couple of ciggies - untipped too ...:ok:

crippen
9th Feb 2015, 01:34
Can a 50+ year old still pleasure a woman half his age, in 10 minutes or under, say twice a day? Can he maintain this performance whilst consuming a 6-pack of Heineken and 20 Café Crème cigarillos daily and eating spicy food? At what age does he actually drop dead (hopefully in the middle of the foremost exercise, with a smile on his face)?

Project in progress. see location. :)

Exascot
9th Feb 2015, 07:55
I will drink to this one:

How a glass of red wine can be slimming: Chemical found in grapes slows growth of existing fat cells and formation of new ones | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2945133/How-glass-red-wine-slimming-Chemical-grapes-slows-growth-existing-fat-cells-formation-new-ones.html)

Pinky the pilot
9th Feb 2015, 11:10
The jury is still out on the number of glasses of red wine you should drink a day or not.

Not with this particular Jury member it's not!:=

How a glass of red wine can be slimming: Chemical found in grapes slows growth of existing fat cells and formation of new ones |

Hmmm, I remain to be convinced about that one though.

ukc_mike
9th Feb 2015, 11:28
48 hr ration packs in the RAF in the 70's contained a couple of ciggies - untipped too

Not in the unused ones they passed on to school cadet forces.

Thomas coupling
9th Feb 2015, 11:55
I tend to pay close attention to all these reports, in the hope that one day there will be consistency and the discovery of the holy grail.
And then I look at my father of 85.
Smoked between the ages of 10 and 75 - dozens a day.
Eats a cooked english breakfast every day of his life.
Does no exercise.
Drinks around 40 units of alcohol a week atleast.
Salt with absolutely everything.
Sugar in abundance.

Last week the doctors gave him a new knee and all the associated tests that predispose this and after show him to be fine in all relevant areas (cholesterol/BP/heart/enzyme etc etc). He shows no signs of dementia either.

Mum's not that far behind either!

So what's it about then? Genes / DNA / environment / attitude?

This is what the holy grail is about .......really.

How long before we even get close to understanding natural longevity?

I've made my peace with all of this and decided: everything in moderation (except booze, sex and holidays).

Loose rivets
9th Feb 2015, 12:32
Spitfires being transported from a carrier near Gibraltar had the bullets removed and replaced with cigarets. Thousands of them.

From First Light, I'm fairly sure it was from a part nearing the end of the book.

Local WWII Spitfire Ace Records Message to RAF Aircrew (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafstmawgan/news/index.cfm?storyid=D6A49D40-5056-A318-A87FA4C0B3A0A64B)

Lonewolf_50
9th Feb 2015, 13:57
I believe that WWII soldiers were issued with 'smokes' (maybe WWI too). In 1971, there were still packets of cigarettes (small, four to a pack) in EACH box of C-Rations issued to troops. We Boy Scouts, who got support from the Army Quartermaster nearby, were issued C-Rations for weekend campouts. We kept the smokes or traded them. Good fun. :ok:

Must have been good for me, as I'm hale and hearty at fifty *andafewmoreyearsr* as I type these lines. :}
I've made my peace with all of this and decided: everything in moderation
(except booze, sex and holidays). TC, that's a formula for a good life. :)

rgbrock1
9th Feb 2015, 18:00
LW50 wrote:

n 1971, there were still packets of cigarettes (small, four to a pack)

Green, individual, one each.

gcap
9th Feb 2015, 19:32
Seriously...
21 orgasms per month reduce your risk of prostate cancer by 30%
Seriously

Lonewolf_50
9th Feb 2015, 19:37
Seriously...
21 orgasms per month reduce your risk of prostate cancer by 30%
Seriously Providing same to the better half probably reduces your risk of divorce and ensuing fiscal constraints. :p