PDA

View Full Version : Cost of living...

Kitsune
7th Feb 2015, 11:39
Parents in Hong Kong struggling with rising cost of English-language education | Education Post (http://www.educationpost.com.hk/resources/education/140422-education-news-parents-in-hong-kong-struggling-with-rising-cost-of-english-language-education)

Trafalgar
7th Feb 2015, 15:19
Let's start listing individual examples of cost of living outrages. Then we can bundle them all up and send them wrapped in a nice bow to Anna.

For a start. Quality meat up almost 80% in three years. Yes, 80%

Frogman1484
8th Feb 2015, 10:10
AUD 4 for 6 slices of bread!:mad:

Lowkoon
9th Feb 2015, 02:47
Yes, the air is free for good reason...

Air pollution is bigger killer in China than smoking, says new Greenpeace study | South China Morning Post (http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1701625/air-pollution-bigger-killer-mainland-china-smoking-says-new-greenpeace)

Now even the government admit it is killing more people than tobacco. Nice.

AQIS Boigu
9th Feb 2015, 05:41
1 litre of Western milk...HKD45

Pollution - just look out the window today

crwkunt roll
9th Feb 2015, 05:44
Waitrose (cheap generic ****) pack of ravioli in the fridge section..... $123.00 HKD

Lowkoon
9th Feb 2015, 10:08
Strewth, what has that got to do with hk? You think industrial pollution respects the border? One country, two systems, same air and water.

Back on topic, electricity - $6000 to $13,000 per bill. (2months).

clear.right
9th Feb 2015, 13:10
I'd be checking your building for a grow op lowkoon.....
That's a massively high CLP bill.

etopsmonkey
14th Feb 2015, 09:43
A slightly related topic .... In other news, DL just paid out USD$1.1billion in profit-SHARING (vs $2.8b total profit). WN paid out USD$335million in profit-sharing (vs $1.1b total profit). That's 1/3 of profits back to the staff.

invitED
15th Feb 2015, 15:01
Hi Guys,

I'm looking into CX TT, they sent me the SO package and wonder if there is any of you there with family (wife+2 kids) that made it on SO incomes in HK. I looked at the rent already close to 20000HKD/month for 2 bedrooms. I wonder if with all expenses, bills, groceries, school i could make it through the 2 first years as a SO ?

Any personal testimonial would be appreciated. MP me if you prefer.

Thanks

Jd

Trafalgar
15th Feb 2015, 15:41
Please, do NOT come here under those personal circumstances. I've already heard too many tales of misery from a few others in your situation. No money, a completely depressed and miserable wife, sick children (the pollution here has to be seen to be believed). The current package is derisory, and will see you and your family living in relative poverty. I realist that is not what you want to hear, but it IS the truth. There are far better jobs available elsewhere if you keep looking. No job is worth losing your family over. Especially not this thankless one.

Arfur Dent
15th Feb 2015, 18:36
This is one of the time bombs that I have referred to before. Cathay Pacific has deliberately reduced the skill levels and Conditions of Service of new recruits. They will eventually reap what they sow when our disillusioned new joiners realise they cannot afford to ever buy a house, or car, or an education for their children (oh - they can't afford them either). They will leave and plunge the whole Airline into chaos.
Well done Richard Hall and others. Enjoy your squillion dollar retirement fund.:mad:

broadband circuit
15th Feb 2015, 21:54
invitED,

It seems to me that you want the true picture, warts & all. So credit to you.

Is the TT course you're looking at the short 4 week course?

If so, you've obviously got some hours already. I would be writing to one of the Middle East big 3. Emirates currently have a road-show travelling around and are actively looking.

Sure the ME is not the greatest place to live, but with your family situation on the current SO package in HK you won't live, you'll barely exist.

Your profile says Canada - the majors there are facing a retirement wave same as the US.

invitED
15th Feb 2015, 22:59
Well, thanks to all of you who took the time to answer, public and private.

Yes i have over 2500h on twin turbine, with 1000PIC but no jet though as in Canada you make your way up slowly (not buying a type rating here) which i like but the step from turbine to jet is huge.

Anyway i will never sacrifice my family over a job i will go back farming in france...:ok:

Too bad i would have enjoy flying a 747 before they disappear to more fuel efficient but i guess it will be without me.

Thanks to all, i might still come visit HK or do the interview for fun (flying stby so not big loss) All the best for u guys

BTW EK is hiring cuz the working conditions are insane cf EK and they are losing a lot of employees Truth about Emirates Airline Management (http://donotflyemirates.org/)

Last question, any other company in HK or Asia that take care of they pilots ?

sizematters
15th Feb 2015, 23:50
Despite the cost of living, it still seems to be quite popular !!!

Sqwak7700
16th Feb 2015, 01:08
Last question, any other company in HK or Asia that take care of they pilots ?

I've spoken to guys on the ANA contract (767 & 747) and they don't complain much. Apparently the rosters are pretty decent, commutable, and the money is alright. Typically with Japan, the training is not difficult but it is a bit of a marathon, lasting from 6 months to a year.

As far as Cathay, use the interview travel as a way to see HKG on their dime. Sadly, that is all it is worth these days. :uhoh: