View Full Version : Is it true

Tarmach
10th Jun 2001, 13:36
Is it true that if you have come straight from an intergrated course you can possibly (if lucky) walk into Easy Jet, Go, Ryan air and the like with only 200 hours. However if you complete the modular course such airlines will only look at you with 1000+ hours.

foghorn
10th Jun 2001, 17:19
It seems to be that way.

Some modular/self-improver people do get a look in before 1,000 hours (hello Pilot Pete!), but they usually have loads of multi-engine IFR time or something similar that makes them really stand out.

cheers!
foggy (who hopes to instruct to 1000 hours...)

Noggin
10th Jun 2001, 19:50
Yes, it is true if they sponsor you. If you are self sponsored, you will still have to convince them of your worth, and that may take a little or maybe a lot longer.

AMS
11th Jun 2001, 00:24
Hi Tarmach,

Well I have a mentor who is a very senior pilot for Ryan Air..he tells me that recently Ryan Air have actually worked something out with OATS, so that when they have good pilots that come through get employment straight away. Although they still have to go throught the same recruitment process. He also told me that the market can change so rapidly that one moment they will take the OATS grads, but then they'll shift for self improvers..It all depends on the the HR deprtment!

Hope this helps..

TCare

AMS

DeeTee
11th Jun 2001, 15:00
Quite a few airlines will take low hour pilots straight into the RHS of medium Jets. Not wishing to raise this old thread again but.......... you can apply to join the ATP scheme and if successful get placed into the RHS of a medium jet within two weeks (current estimate). When I came through that system you didn't have to pay for anything and all training was provided by them (assuming you passed their tests). However it was a bad time then for recruiting and we sat in their holding pool for a year. They placed me with an airline flying medium jets (albeit small ones) out of BHX with only 235 hours. The rest of the guys on my course got 757's and also started with just a CPL/IR and 230ish hours.

I understand that CTC/ATP now require you to buy an MCC course off them. If you perform well on the course they invite you to a sequence of interviews and if you pass these they give you a bit more training and put you on their books. Customers of CTC/ATP currently include BA, GO, EasyJet, JMC and quite a few others.

All CTC/ATP look for is a current CPL/IR, frozen ATPL and to be under 35.

I thought it was a good idea as I got my first job through them (and on jets to). However, there are quite a few people out there who are rabidly against them (normally cos they failed to get accepted). And you will hear all sorts of stories regarding having to fly on low wages for 6 months etc. All that is dependent on the airline which takes you. I started on a full contract and full FO salary with mine.

Cheers.
:)

DeeTee
11th Jun 2001, 15:05
Forgot to mention. All the guys and gals on my course (including me) came through modular self improver routes. So in summary it is possible to do a modular/self improver course and get onto the RHS of a medium jet, in the UK with only 230ish hours.

:)