PDA

View Full Version : Another Scam?

Don_Apron
6th Feb 2015, 09:10
Watching Sky News at the weekend and an ad was aired. webuyanycar.com

My son has a car he needs rid of so I'm assisting. I needed to speak to someone as I had a question that wasn't covered by the FAQ section. Called them, had to leave message. They never returned my call. Sent an email, no response. Tried contacting branches in their nationwide network. Same voice, "leave a message". No response.

My question is this. If they cant be a***d to respond to someone who is trying to put business their way, how will one be treated if they have a complaint. Try yourselves if you don't believe me.

My suggestion is stay away and for S.N. to do some research before airing a possible con.

bricquebec
6th Feb 2015, 09:19
Some while ago I tried to get a figure from them, and left an email query. Someone phoned back, quite promptly, and asked me how much I was expecting for the car? Not at all helpful.

Laarbruch72
6th Feb 2015, 09:25
How does poor customer contact become a "scam" or a "con"?
Are you sure you understand both terms?

cockney steve
6th Feb 2015, 09:25
Not a con, simply a very hard-nosed business that takes advantage of people who can't be bothered.
Yes, they'll give you £50 for a scrapper and take it straight to the scrapyard and draw £150+.
Perhaps they're inundated with much better deals than yours, where they make over £1,000 per car.....do you blame them?

You could do your homework, make sure the car has good tyres and a long MOT, Present it properly, advertise it properly and someone will get a better deal than going to a dealer. both parties win, but it takes willing on the part of the seller, as well as the buyer being tempted to make a bid.

You could dump it on "the Bay" with an honest description and it'll make what somebody will pay.

Personally, I think that "we buy any car" are sharks. (they too, scavenge stuff that others don't find appealing, or don't get the opportunity.
They have their place....who do you think pays for their TV adverts at megabux a slot?....clue.....they aren't a charity.

Don_Apron
6th Feb 2015, 09:37
Their website is quite good. Put in the registration, tell them whats wrong, mot etc., etc., and they come up with a valuation. All well and good. However I was unable to speak to someone, anyone, via email or voice. Scam?

chuks
6th Feb 2015, 10:35
Here in Germany there's a scam connected with that which works in this way:

Someone asks you for the details of your car, which you duly furnish: "2002 VW Passat, 170 thousand km, no damage history, asking price 2 thousand euros," for example, when you expect that person or organization to get back to you about that.

After that though, you hear nothing further from them until well after you have sold the car. Then they do get back in touch, now wanting your car, long gone, since you had made a sort of binding sales contract with them simply by furnishing its details upon their request.

It just like telling my neighbor, "You can have my VW Passat for 2 thousand euros; I promise to sell it to you for that price." Of course he's going to be a bit put out if he agrees and then goes to the trouble of getting the money together, perhaps promising his daughter her first car, only to be disappointed by my failure to carry through with that promise; that was some sort of sales contract between us.

Here we are advised to stick a proviso in there that furnishing the details does not mean making a firm promise to sell the car to the person asking after it, as a way of protecting against this scam.

Of course another risk is someone stealing the car, the reason why you want to meet a buyer somewhere other than at home, in a public place; to get identity documentation from the potential buyer; and to go along on a test ride.

Here we sometimes hear of some fellow showing up to do a "Here, you keep the keys to my car while I try yours," number, leaving you with a very nice car, even nicer than your own, but one that happens to be just as stolen as yours has just become!

londonblue
6th Feb 2015, 10:57
When I bought a new car I got a better part ex deal by showing the dealership the offer that We Buy Any Car had made. The dealership agreed to match it.

I did try and get more by selling it privately but couldn't be bothered with the number of calls from people refusing to give me a price, and expecting me to just drop the asking price.

"What's your best price?"

"My best price is the one in the ad. Make me an offer if you think it's too high."

No-one did.

You have to be careful though, because the price you're quoted on the web isn't necessarily the amount you'll end up with. Once you take the car in, they'll try and reduce the amount based on the condition of the car. Which is why getting a part ex deal to match WBAC was a pretty good deal.

When I cancelled the appointment with WBAC (via their website) I was asked to state why I had decided not to go ahead. One of the options in the drop down box was "Used us to get a better part ex deal", so they know it happens a lot.

Andy_S
6th Feb 2015, 11:33
Their website is quite good. Put in the registration, tell them whats wrong, mot etc., etc., and they come up with a valuation. All well and good. However I was unable to speak to someone, anyone, via email or voice. Scam?

No. Webuyanycar.com are a genuine business, albeit (as has already been observed) one that have a reputation for taking advantage of those that can't be bothered to go to the trouble of selling their vehicle privately.

ShyTorque
6th Feb 2015, 11:38
My son advertised his BMW a few months ago. It was a very fair price for the car, which was in immaculate condition and with a full MOT and full service history, and freshly serviced. It had been fully prepared for sale as a trade in. He had found another car to buy but they didn't want to take it in part exchange due to it's age. He realised he had to take a hit on what he got for it, to move it quickly to a new owner.

We had a number of callers, all wanting to come and "take the car off our hands" for far less than it was worth. They all got told that the selling price was the advertised price (after all, the advert did say "no offers").

One chap turned up while I was working on my own car on the driveway and he took over an hour looking round my son's car and trying to find fault and going to great lengths to tell us all about the potential pitfalls of buying that type of car. This was for a car with a market value of about £2000 but it was on sale for just over half that. After I'd heard enough of this chap (about half an hour) I took my son to one side and told him the chap was a time wasting tyre kicker and wouldn't buy it. I was correct, he kept trying to offer less money and we just kept telling him the same thing - no offers, as per the advert!

I eventually suggested that he should go away and find another car in that condition for the sort of money he wanted to pay (I knew he wouldn't have been able to do so). His parting shot was "I'll come back for it when you can't sell it!"

The next caller, same afternoon, offered to buy the car over the phone unseen for the full asking price. He was a long way away and had to get the train to get to us; he came the next day. He paid cash on the spot and was chuffed to bits with the car, as he should have been.

Funny thing was, the "tyre kicker" saw the advert had been taken down, had the cheek to phone my son to ask how much it went for, then said in his opinion it was far too much money! :rolleyes:

What do you say to folks like that?

Don_Apron
6th Feb 2015, 11:50
FWIW, my question to them was this. The car is registered in one part of the country but needs to be sold in another county. Can this be done?. I would have thought they could have addressed my query as a lot of emphasis is on ID, and utility bills to prove address.

The price he was offered was agreeable. Transfer of funds they quote as 4 days normal, after inspection of course.. However if there is a problem I do want to be in a position to be able to comunicate with someone.

Big ask, does anyone remember the words "customer service"? Very rare these days I know.

Come back ebay, all is forgiven.

Thanks for the replies.

socrates
6th Feb 2015, 12:18
What do you say to folks like that?

Nothing, it would be a simple waste of breath. Let them learn the hard way.

Captivep
6th Feb 2015, 12:29
I wish people would think a bit before they start bandying words like "scam" around.

"Scam" does not mean a level of customer service which you're unhappy with - it means a deliberate attempt to defraud you of your money. If you don't like the offer from webuyanycar you are perfectly free to walk, as you are if you don't like the fact you can't find a phone number on their website.

With the supposed anonymity of the internet, people seem to think it's reasonable to conjoin the name of a company with the word "scam" as though it has no consequences. It's completely unfair to the company involved.

Don_Apron
6th Feb 2015, 12:38
Oh the phone numbers are there alright. Head office and every branch in the country. I've tried head office and 4 branches, Same thing.

Scam? I put a ? behind that so asked the question. Let them sue me, should they wish. I'm prepared to take the hit and I thank the mods for letting me air, what I consider a genuine grievance.

Effluent Man
6th Feb 2015, 12:58
I was a car dealer from 1977 until 2012. Proper site,workshops,body repar shop until 2004. I bought quite a few cars from prospective sellers to this company. If you listen to the advert they say "If the car is in the condition you say it is" we will pay the price we quote. This is how it works.

You offer for example a 2007 Focus 1.8 Zetec Diesel with 80,000 miles. They come back and say £2000. Not a brilliant price,you might expect to do a bit better privately,say £2500 and on a forecourt it might be £3000 or a bit over.

You take your car to them and have said it's in good condition.They run the rule over it and say well there is a graze on the bumper and a dent on the door where someone opened the door onto it. Realistically these are things that all seven year old 80k cars have but suddenly they are going to cost £350 to fix. Oh and the front tyres are worn on the inside edge (They all are) £150 for a pair of those.

So now its fifteen hundred quid. So the punter says ok.They process the deal and you get £1381 transferred to your account. Oh didnt we mention the £99 +VAT paperwork charge?

The Focus is taken straight to auction and makes £2200. The auction has a deal with the company,transport costs only. The buyer pays a £150 premium to the auction house. Webuy get a cheque for £2150.Simples!

chuks
6th Feb 2015, 13:28
I was visiting my mother once, when she needed to get rid of a Volvo 144GL with a bad automatic transmission. The car would run, but it needed a transmission overhaul. Otherwise, it was in fairly nice condition.

This cheeky little rat at the Volvo dealer offered "to take it off her hands," quoting list price for a new transmission with labor, far more than the car was worth. I said, "Let's try an advert in the local paper," since they had some deal like 25 words for ten bucks. I got to the end of what I had to say and the girl on the phone said I still had two words left, so I put "leather upholstery" on the end, telling her that should fetch the bondage freaks.

We got this Chinese lady, who showed up with the hubby and the kids. She raved about the car without actually handing over any drinking vouchers. She did give me her realtor's card, as if she were handing over the keys to the kingdom, telling me not to sell it because she "would be back."

Of course I promised not to sell it (to anyone else who did not hand over a certain amount of money), with my fingers crossed, behind my back, and sent her on her way.

Finally, two Koreans showed up, one who obviously knew cars, and one who could speak both Korean and English. A short trip around the block later I was asked, "How about $1000?"

I replied "How about $1100?"

A wad of hundred-dollar bills that could choke a horse appeared from the right front pocket of Mr No-English, when 11 bills were counted off and handed over. Bye-bye car. Good guys and a pleasure to do business with, those two.

At the end of the day, Mrs Ting Tong did call back, to be told the car had been sold. "Oh, we really wanted to buy it .... "

"Well," I told her, "this guy pulled out a wad of hundred dollar bills and must have caught me in a moment of weakness. Sorry about that, but you must know how it is, selling houses and all."

She called back again about ten minutes later with a long tale of how little Ping Pong was now devastated, that it was to have been her first car to go off to university with, and blah-blah-blah." I told Mrs Ting Tong that, well, I didn't think it was the car for her, that she might be unhappy with it and then bother my mother with her complaints, since it did have that transmission problem I had mentioned in the advert.

"Oh," she said, this woman who was moaning about a car she had not actually bought, "I would never do that. Anyway, how much did you sell it for?"

"Eleven hundred bucks."

"Oh, we didn't think it was worth that much .... "

Wanna bet that Mrs Ting Tong had reckoned on buying my mother's car and then bullying my mother into fixing the transmission, the one she had already been told was defective?

G-CPTN
6th Feb 2015, 13:38
The tyre-kickers who offer only a fraction of the asking price do not want that car per se - they are traders (albeit not necessarily registered with premises).
Their only interest is to get the vehicle for silly money so that they can turn it over for profit.
Paying a reasonable price would not leave room for them to make any sensible money.

Offering very low money is their profession. That's what they do in order to survive (probably as well as income from benefits).

Effluent Man
6th Feb 2015, 13:42
I still do the odd deal. Recently I sold an Astra diesel estate and took in an old Vectra Diesel Estate. It was a '96 model with 150k on the dial but ran well and no obvious faults. I advertised it online via Gumtree for £500.Long MOT and a good driver with nearly new tyres it was well worth that.

The following day a Lithuanian chap called. He said "Don't sell it I'm on my way". An hour later we dealt at £450,which was exactly what i had allowed as a PX. The next day he phoned me and said that there was a stone chip in the windscreen and he was concerned it might crack.Would I pay for a new screen?

I pointed out that it was listed on the MOT as an advisory at the MOT three months earlier so it was unlkely to get worse quickly. I said "If you want to bring it back I will give you a refund". Surprisingly he hung up.

funfly
6th Feb 2015, 13:53
We sold our caravan to a very well known caravan dealer (who we had bought it from) Best price was £8500 but they spotted a mark on the side when we took it to them so we got a few hundred pounds less.
On their forecourt the following week at £12,500.
I trusted them as they knew me well but do feel that they ripped me off on this one.

Choxolate
6th Feb 2015, 14:33
I doubt that they will actaully sell it for £12,500 though will they? Plus if they are a "trader" then the sale of goods act applies (which it doesn't to you as a private seller), plus they have overheads that you do not etc. etc.
I don't think you were "ripped off" - you were offered a price and you accepted it, you obviously know the market quite well and could have refused the offer.

funfly
6th Feb 2015, 14:42
Chox.

You're right of course and the chances of selling it privately were remote.

I didn't have to sell it to them did I?

FF in philosophical mode.

Effluent Man
6th Feb 2015, 23:28
Another thing....if you are a VAT registered dealer you pay 20% of your profit to the revenue. That may not sound too much but if a dealer buys a car at auction,say for £3000 and £200 is added on by auction fees and transport etc he then puts the car on sale at say £3995. If it need for arguments sake four tyres,and an MOT that may take his costs up to £500. He sells at £3995 but his profit is only £495. But the VAT is levied on the whole £995 so that is £200 leaving him £295.

G-CPTN
6th Feb 2015, 23:41
Can a VAT-registered dealer offset his overheads when declaring the profit?

Seems not from your example.

For example, the case of the caravan, bought for £8,500 and (maybe) sold for £12,500 - nominal profit of £4,000, but he needed to pay his salesman a month's wages, rates and utilities.

I realise that direct expenses such as valeting might be allowable?

SpringHeeledJack
7th Feb 2015, 08:34
It seems to me that any of these type of companies (as has been said) provide an easy service to those of us who are too busy/lazy/timid to go down the normal route of selling. They all seem to follow the same M.O, tv saturation, web, posters, "It's so easy etc etc". Be it getting rid of dvd's, phones, gold jewellery, and here cars. They offer much less and then sell for more and in large numbers there's profit to be made.

For the car buying sort to make a profit they have minimal staff and many sub-contractors/agents around the country who act on their behalf for a commission. It is wholly probable that they have too few staff to cope with the business potential and only function in the main by internet as it involves minimal contact. There are plenty of scams around, but this (these) are not.

SHJ

Don_Apron
7th Feb 2015, 09:07
SHJ

Yes I think you're correct there as regards to dealing with calls.

Thanks.

Metro man
8th Feb 2015, 01:38
To get the highest price you would need to sell privately and take the trouble to prepare the car for sale. Then you would have to deal with all the chancers, time wasters and thieves turning up at your home. You would need to pay advertising costs and be available for the buyers to inspect the car.

You run the risk of accepting counterfeit money or a forged bank cheque, it's not unknown for people to be burgled after accepting a substantial amount of cash which couldn't be deposited in the bank that day.

Putting it in an auction will result in a lower price but no risk or come backs if the gearbox fails the following week.

Part exchange is more of a known quantity as you will get a no obligation quote. Just look at the overall deal, how much to change cars.

eBay will get you maximum exposure with no need to negotiate on price but don't fall for the usual scams such as the buyer being on an oil rig and purchasing the car for his uncle.

Car buying services could be useful to someone who was emmigrating and wanted use of the car until a certain date and guaranteed cash in hand before departing.

Choose which option is best for you.

Don_Apron
8th Feb 2015, 01:50
Metro Man

Thank you and others for their constructive input.

Good info there. Used the big bay to try and sell a vehicle a few years ago. Well put it this way, car dealers don't do themselves any favors and re enforce my poor impression of them. In spite of me specifying no cash, PP only, you bid to buy not to look etc., etc.

For the benefit of Laar, good customer service and honesty go hand in hand. If they wont communicate with me I call it bad customer service and the rest will follow.

Keef
8th Feb 2015, 01:53
Daughter 1 has a friend who moved to the USA with her husband, and now has 5 children. They all came back to the UK for a month's holiday, and needed transport. Daughter bought a VW 7-seat bus thingy off Ebay for £1,500 and taxed and insured it for friend to drive.

Six weeks later, friend having returned to America after putting about 1,000 miles on it, she advertised it in the local paper. It sold for £2,250. She had a net profit after tax, insurance, etc - and the friend was delighted.

She reckons there are business opportunities there somewhere.

G-CPTN
8th Feb 2015, 01:56
My last car sale was as a result of an advert in the local paper - at 50% above the best 'trade-in' that I had been offered - several dealers wouldn't quote on a vehicle over ten years old. I'd even contacted private 'dealers' who advertised 'wanting cars' - but they are really only interested in stupidly cheap offers so that they have room to make their profit.
A near resident telephoned - he is a self-employed joiner/carpenter, and his same-make older model had been scrapped earlier that week.
He turned-up and bought-it at asked-for price then asked to be taken to the bank where he withdrew cash over the counter and handed it directly to me (so there was no worry over counterfeit notes or worthless cheques).
We were both delighted with the deal - he was able to continue his business and I was 'rid' of a twelve-year-old vehicle that I was starting to worry about its reliability (though it had been reliable and hadn't needed any work at any of the MOTs - I never even needed to change a single bulb). Tyres and brake pads of course within its life with me from two years old.
I still see my pride and joy around two years later (it's like seeing an old girlfriend), though my estate car was 'top of the range' and only used for private transport, so it is slightly irritating to see it around being used as a 'van' - but at least the new owner is satisfied with it.

Don_Apron
8th Feb 2015, 01:56
Good one Keef!

Everything I touch I lose money, so trying to plug the leaks.

Tankertrashnav
8th Feb 2015, 11:22
Cautionary tale about buying a vehicle on ebay. My son, then serving in Germany has his ebay account registered at our home address in West Cornwall. He saw a classic Mercedes he fancied on ebay, didn't recognise the location, but noted it was 110 miles from home, as calculated by ebay. He bought the car, and of course muggins here was given the job of collecting it.

Turned out the car was in some one horse town near Swansea- which if you draw a nice straight line on the map was indeed just over 100 miles away - most of which was the Bristol Channel! Ten hour return trip by train and driving home, but at least the car was very nice.

P6 Driver
8th Feb 2015, 11:33
Don_Apron wrote;
"Scam? I put a ? behind that so asked the question. Let them sue me, should they wish. I'm prepared to take the hit and I thank the mods for letting me air, what I consider a genuine grievance."

You state you have a genuine grievance about a scam, so when you have an answer from Trading Standards, would you let us know what they are doing to take it forward. Equally, if you don't take the case to Trading Standards, why not?

Don_Apron
8th Feb 2015, 11:41
Didn't say it was a scam. I wrote scam? That to me is a question, it could be. I don't know, hence the question mark?

Now if this outfit WBAC think they have a case let them go ahead. Knowing the law is an ass they probably will have a case. To be honest I don't give a damn. As for me I am getting a little annoyed at continuing deterioration of customer service, anywhere.

P6 Driver
8th Feb 2015, 19:00
Don,

You gave a damn enough to create a thread on the subject mate. The point of mentioning Trading Standards is to try and help. If you speak to them and mention the issues you have with the company, for all you know, it could be that others have done the same (another piece of the big picture for them to possibly act upon).

You won't know unless you give it a go!

Effluent Man
8th Feb 2015, 19:38
As i understand it the "If your car is in the condition you say it is" was added to the advert because of the company's lifting of legs. G-CPTN Absolutely NO cost is allowable against VAT. If you have to valet it,paint it,fit new tyres, service or MOT it its all non deductible. You simply pay 20% on the GROSS profit,hence the ramping up of the percentage of profit going to the VAT man.

It's the reason why you see so many nags in lay-bys with a cardboard price in the screen.

Don_Apron
8th Feb 2015, 20:01
P6

Sorry I thought you were having a go at me. I'm not paranoid though.

PS, Have contacted trading standards with ref to this company.

Thanks.

olympus
8th Feb 2015, 22:21
From Wikipedia:-

We Buy Any Car Limited is a used car (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Used_car) purchaser headquartered in Middleton, Greater Manchester (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middleton,_Greater_Manchester), United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom).[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Buy_Any_Car#cite_note-2) It has branches in Great Britain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain), the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) and in March 2014 the company launched in the Netherlands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands).
The company was founded in 2006 by Noel and Darren McKee. In May 2010 the company expanded into the market of buying vans, through the brand webuyanyvan.com.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Buy_Any_Car#cite_note-3)
In 2013, the company was purchased by BCA (British Car Auctions).

WBAC is just a source of product for BCA so one would be better advised to forget WBAC and just enter your car directly into a BCA auction (as Honest John of the Telegraph constantly recommends).

In November of last year I did just this - 14yo 4x4 145K in not bad condition, WBAC's online offer was something like £550. Entered it into BCA's Sure-Sell auction at Bedford where it achieved £1150.

Don_Apron
8th Feb 2015, 23:05
Olympus

Thanks for that and will do, :ok:

G-CPTN
8th Feb 2015, 23:20
BCA's Sure-Sell auction at Bedford where it achieved £1150.
What are the deductions from that £1150? Or does the buyer pay a buyer's premium?

Effluent Man
9th Feb 2015, 08:35
You pay an entry fee.In my case about £20,but I have a trade account. In addition if it sells commission at the one I use is 6% +VAT ,so 7.2%. On £1150 you would pay around £80.

A word of warning though. IF you set a reserve price it is quite likely that once the auctioneer achieves this he won't dwell,he has his commission in the bag and the gavel will fall quickly.

I have seen four or five bidders "go invisible" in favour of one of the man with the hammer's pals,who no doubt see him right.

Also bear in mind you have to take the car some days in advance and leave it there.If it doesn't sell you have to go get it back. It's all a matter of luck really,but as has been observed almost certainly better than WBAC,

olympus
9th Feb 2015, 13:06
The paperwork isn't immediately to hand and I can't remember what the deductions were but I think Effluent Man is close enough.

I think the danger of a car not selling really only arises if an unrealistic reserve is placed on the vehicle. From what I recall BCA don't permit reserves on low value entries anyway.

The positive aspect of getting the vehicle to the auction site a few days in advance is that it gives BCA time to list it on their website and so pull in more punters who may be seeking that particular model.

As a matter of interest I was driven from BCA's site to Bedford in a taxi driven by an Afghani(!). We got to chatting about cars, he asked me what I was entering, I told him a Mitsubishi Shogun. He then grilled me as to its condition, tyres and mileage and said he would probably attend the auction and buy it and ship it to his brother in Kabul!

Effluent Man
9th Feb 2015, 15:53
Auctions can be very odd places. The variation between one and the next can be huge. Last summer I went to one where twenty identical Vauxhall Combo vans were being sold by the Post Office. They were from the engineering division rather than the post so were white rather than the red that fades to pink.

I bought the first three through at what I thought to be very competitive prices. After that the prices rose until by the end 100k miles vans were making more than mine with 50k. I found out that just prior to the sale the main road had been closed by an accident and there were only a few buyers there. I didnt notice because after I had bought my three I had left.

I still had a hell of a job selling them though despite putting them up for very competitive prices. (56 reg at £2995 Vat inclusive) I sold the last of them three weeks ago.

Don_Apron
15th Feb 2015, 07:39
Well I was honored with a return call last week. Oh yes my inquiry was addressed albeit 10 days from my first telephone call. Now I'm not racist by an stretch of the imagination, but suffice to say the gentlemen was from the East. Nuf said.

He was most apologetic of course. This possibly was the result of me getting touch with the CAB, posting him a link to this site, etc.

Metro man
15th Feb 2015, 08:02
I have seen four or five bidders "go invisible" in favour of one of the man with the hammer's pals,who no doubt see him right.

It's not unknown for regular buyers to agree amongst themselves who gets which cars. These guys attend the auctions regularly, get to know each other and realise they are better off not bidding up the price. If an outsider wants the car and is prepared to pay an amount that leaves them no profit margin then he'll get it.

Sometimes sellers will bid on their own car and sometimes auctioneers will enter phantom bids to increase the price.

Tigger_Too
15th Feb 2015, 08:14
a taxi driven by an Afghani

He's an AFGHAN. You buy things with Afghanis.

Sorry to be pedantic. This is a bugbear of mine!

Effluent Man
15th Feb 2015, 08:56
I have never experienced anything more than an informal agreement between two people at an auction,and I sed to buy about 150 cars a year. More common I think is the auctioneer being in on the act.

ian16th
16th Feb 2015, 14:25
I think I have a new one!

At least new to me.

I have just received this:

JOB ID: EU/DCL/00895-15

ATTN:

Complements of the season; We want to inform you that we are hiring candidates that will work with Disney Cruise Line [Australia] under the job Identification Number EU/DCL/00895-15. The total recruitment will be 350 applicants. Minimum Age requirements is 18-years and above.

This is the Available Position:

Deck Crew Gift Shop Positions
Cruise Directors Photographers
Disc Jockeys Junior Assistant Pursers
Expedition Leaders Information Technology Staff
Hosts and Hostesses Administration Assistants
Naturalists Customer Service Representatives

Shore Excursion Managers Casino Staff
Water Sports Cruise Staff
Youth Counselors Entertainers
Cosmetologist Gentleman Host
Fitness Directors Lecturers
Medical Staff Production Managers
Air/Sea Reservation Agents Shore Excursion Staff
Bartenders Lifeguards
Guest Relations Photographer

Beauticians
Massage Therapists
Fitness Instructors
Personal Trainers
Bar Stewards
Bedroom Stewards
Hospitality or Hotel Managers
Deckhands
Pursers
Dance Instructors
Booking Agents
Sales and Marketing Positions
Engineering Department Crew

We need serious applicants that have the ability to work hard and must agree to abide by the company rules and regulations. Working onboard a cruises ship does require discipline. Salary depends on the position you’re applying for and your experience. Salary ranges from 6,320-EURO and above.

If you are interested in any of the above position, contact us via bellow email to receive our Job Application Form. Email:
([email protected])

The managements will take care of qualified Applicants accommodation and Air ticket. We will provide all the relevant Supports documents to enable any qualified applicants get his or her Visa/ Working permit.

Regards

Mrs. Sharon Maurice Foster
Client service officer
Disney Cruise Line
Australia Office
193 Coward St, Masort
2020 NSW Australia
Email: [[email protected]]
Disney Cruise Line | Official Website (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/)

Thanks to the wonders of Giggle Earth I have checked and lo and behold it is a genuine address.

But, going to street view shows this:
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/ian16th/Capture.png

So I would guess plenty of empty office space!

What should I do?

Do they have vacancies for 77 year old Entertainment Officers?:)

OFSO
16th Feb 2015, 14:56
Forward the ad to Captain Schettino, he needs a job....

Effluent Man
16th Feb 2015, 15:02
Are you Ted Bovis?

G-CPTN
16th Feb 2015, 17:05
Why on Earth would recruits for an American franchise on an Australian vessel be subject to European terms and conditions?

Oh - and it's compliments, not complements (though that could be genuine ignorance).

http://www.419scam.org/emails/2015-01/22/00157775.570.htm

Effluent Man
16th Feb 2015, 17:33
It is said that the mistakes in these are deliberate so only less bright recipients respond.

Metro man
17th Feb 2015, 08:37
It is said that the mistakes in these are deliberate so only less bright recipients respond.

This is sometimes true, the scammers would rather have a smaller pool of very gullible respondents to sort through rather than attract a huge number of prospects they need to work on, and then have almost all of them drop out once they realise it's a scam.

Anyone these days who is daft enough to respond to an email about $20 000 000 in an account in Nigeria is probably daft enough to send them money.

BTW The salary of EUR6320 is quite likely to be annual, not monthly. Most cruise lines operate under a flag of convenience so they can employ third world workers on low wages. I took a cruise last year and most of the staff below senior officer level were Chinese, Indian, Indonesian, Philippino etc. They do not want staff from first world countries who are used to unions and minimum wages. They deliberately employ a mix of nationalities to divide and rule. Any trouble maker gets offloaded with a ticket home and no recourse.

ian16th
1st Mar 2015, 21:55
Well they seem to have caught a big one here!

Woman wires $1.4M to online lover in Africa she's never met | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2974083/We-love-95-certain-s-telling-truth-Woman-defends-decision-wire-1-4-MILLION-online-lover-Africa-s-never-met.html)

Metro man
2nd Mar 2015, 00:23
The reason his accent changed is because she was passed up to a more experienced scammer. A serious operator will have a few low level scammers working for him who are known as "catchers". These guys do the donkey work and once a prospect is identified it gets moved up a level.

This is similar to most professions where grunts do the low level stuff, freeing up the specialists for the more profitable cases.