PDA

View Full Version : Airnorth Sold!!

HILFIGER-TOMMY
6th Feb 2015, 00:37
Bristow Group buys 85pc Airnorth stake (http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/bristow-group-buys-85pc-airnorth-stake-20150206-137n9e.html)

http://www.airnorth.com.au/sites/default/files/documents/MediaReleases/Airnorth%20Media%20Release%20-%2085%25%20Controlling%20Stake%20in%20Airnorth%20acquired%20 by%20Bristow%20Helicopters%20Australia%20Pty%20Ltd.pdf

got the email from boss man this morning this just shows more info....

not looking forward to see what they do with turbo fleet as they have be utilized heaps lately for rig runs.

MACH082
7th Feb 2015, 02:57
So choppers doing Arnhem Land then hey :P

Bit of stability hopefully. Seems to be a game of thrones there at present.

Hopefully god will get the chop and the crew can look forward to cyclics as a way to improve and learn, rather than the punitive dick waving, checking culture that is being utilised at present. Gods approach is obviously not working. There's been a heap of interesting stories coming out of the place at present. I hear Casa are also watching very closely.

Airnorth is a great company. Just needs a bit of love and some real world experienced guys running the training department. Not ex single pilot freighter pilots who think they know it all :)

Berealgetreal
7th Feb 2015, 11:33
Ah regionals/mining outfits, don't miss them!

j3pipercub
7th Feb 2015, 14:02
Ironic username be real.

If you don't think it's the same at Virgin, you're obviously not far enough up the greasy pole or still in the honeymoon period.

j3

P.S. Never found 'god' an unfair checkie. Difficult, but not unfair.

Berealgetreal
7th Feb 2015, 23:42
I think you're right, I must be still in the honeymoon period (8 years later)!. I don't know anything about the "greasy pole" nor do I care. I'm simply a nobody happy to do my job and to have a job. No I don't think the place is perfect!

As for the check captains that I've had I can say the vast majority have been excellent (I've had the so called "tougher" ones). My experience from my pay sim to my last check has been only positive. At least at Virgin when they see you have put the work in and have the right attitude the checkies will encourage rather than berate or threaten.

I must clarify that I don't know anything about Air North and was making a comment about my experience in regional/mining work. Some of our collegues have worked at big airlines like CX etc and have confirmed that we have a pretty good checking culture here.

Good luck to you and Air North for that matter. Sorry about the thread drift.

prospector
8th Feb 2015, 00:32
Just needs a bit of love and some real world experienced guys running the training department. Not ex single pilot freighter pilots who think they know it all

One would think that when one is experienced in the ways of aviating one does not vent such personal views in a public forum.

One would think, not knowing anybody involved, that SPIFR would be the most intense aviating, and would therefor be the quickest way to accumulate experience very fast. It would, to my mind, be the most intense
"real world experience" of the lot.

Whether one can pass on that knowledge in a check and training role is a different kettle of fish, but once again, a public forum is not the place to air personal views of other individuals abilities.

Aeromuz
8th Feb 2015, 00:50
I don't know anybody involved in this and I agree that a public forum is no place to air grievances, that being said, SPIFR pilots can fall into a belief that they are great because the cant effectively self critique, and can talk themselves into believing they are infallible. I do agree however that it is the highest workload you can have as a pilot. We have all been there in a SPIFR environment but multi-crew is a different environment entirely and should not be compared.

Best of luck to Airnorth and Bristow.:ok:

The Green Goblin
8th Feb 2015, 11:26
It's one thing to fly an IFR aeroplane.

It's anither to do it as a team with another pilot next to you. Unless you've been the pilot in the right seat for a spell, you don't know what the job involves. Then when you've been in the left seat for a while, and gone back to the right seat you learn how to be a good FO. You'll be an even better captain when you venture back left.

Good luck to the guys.

Ejector
9th Feb 2015, 08:48
What are the initials of God at Airnorthplease ?

hoss
9th Feb 2015, 11:42
Probably JC!;)

Mango
9th Feb 2015, 15:12
My experience has shown, a pilot that thinks he is god is in fact hiding behind a thin vale of personal inadequacy.

Shame to hear such vile creatures lurk around the hallways of Airnorth. Why don't they just get rid of the old wood and inject some freshness in the training department?

Mach E Avelli
9th Feb 2015, 19:47
Mango, easier said than done. Darwin is not exactly paradise on the planet, so first you would need to attract the right people.
Then, they have to be inducted and jump through all the CASA hoops. The incumbents are unlikely to assist in that process. Behind the scenes, CASA people may also be unsympathetic to major change.
With such an entrenched system, all too often check and training departments become 'closed shops' for old mates. Then of course they become dictatorships.
Not saying that this is the case here, but if it is, the new owners will need a big broom, money and a real resolve to sort it.

TBM-Legend
9th Feb 2015, 23:34
From a source close to Santos. They are asking for aircraft no older than 10 years of age for next tender. Easy to see why Bristows buy Air North. No problem adding more 170/190 types as required. Chobam has the late model stuff too! Q: where does that leave Alliance? Their share price has tanked in the past few weeks to add chillies to the curry...

Mango
12th Feb 2015, 17:48
Having worked at Airnorth for 10 years in the past. The airline holds a soft spot for me. I was wondering if anybody, in the know, can shed some light on what this will mean for the company and staff. Will they be getting more aircraft or will it mean upgrading their equipment to give it a more modern fleet?

pohm1
12th Feb 2015, 23:20
Will they be getting more aircraft or will it mean upgrading their equipment to give it a more modern fleet?

If Bristow apply their business model, probably both.

P1

mattyj
13th Feb 2015, 07:28
If Bristow thinks they're going to upgrade and modernise the Metros and Braz's they will find there's nothing out there..?

The Green Goblin
13th Feb 2015, 07:58
1900s and hmmmm

Vortexringburn
14th Feb 2015, 05:48
Airnorth will not be the same. The new guy is a toe cutter. He was/is an accountant. Micro management - taking it to a new level that you have never experienced and the cutting of essential equipment where ever possible to operate at the absolute minimum of being able to operate. Ask any chopper pilots/engineers/crew about the new dude. God help Airnorth.
Peace.