PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Skymaster

5th Feb 2015, 20:04
CAP 601 says
A MEP Class rating conducted on Centerline Thrust aeroplanes will be endorsed with a Limitation prohibiting flight on all non-centerline thrust aeroplanes.
I suppose that it means that you definitely need a MEP to fly a Cessna Skymaster.
If you passed your MEP skill test on a normal MEP, a difference training is enough to fly the Cessna Skymaster

But the regulation says
FCL.620 IR — Skill test
(a) Applicants for an IR shall pass a skill test in accordance with Appendix 7 to this Part to demonstrate the ability to perform the relevant procedures and manoeuvres with a degree of competency appropriate to the privileges granted.
(b) For a multi-engine IR, the skill test shall be taken in a multi-engine aircraft. For a single-engine IR, the test shall be taken in a single-engine aircraft. A multi-engine centreline thrust aeroplane shall be considered a single-engine aeroplane for the purposes of this paragraph.

Although the regulation does not say so, I infer that an IR-SE is enough to fly a Cessna Skymaster under IR.

So it seems to me that to fly under IFR a Cessna Skymaster you need
- A MEP
- An IR-SE.
Do you agree?

Duchess_Driver
9th Feb 2015, 19:05
Purely out of interest, what part of SE IR privileges allows you to operate an ME (CLT) aircraft if those IR privileges were gained on an SEP?

Don't know the answer, but I would suspect and hope the answer is "You Can't".

I would suggest that Appendix 8 Credits etc is where the reason would lie, in that if you hold an SE SP IR you are only credited that amount against the ME IR - now I know that is only for revalidation but....

Furthermore,

Applicants for an IR shall pass a skill test in accordance with Appendix 7 to this Part to demonstrate the ability to perform the relevant procedures and manoeuvres with a degree of competency appropriate to the privileges granted

Now, from my point of view... have you demonstrated the ability to maintain control of the ME CLT aircraft in IMC in the event of an engine failure - not just from a CONTROL point of view but from a PERFORMANCE aspect?

I would be worried that someone who has a ME Class on the Skymaster and SE IR on a SEP but not undergone the IR Test in the ME CLT could find themselves in a bad situation very quickly.

10th Feb 2015, 21:11
Duchess Driver:
The regulation says that instruction on a Skymaster does not count for an IR-ME.
If what you would like (i.e. that an IR-ME would be mandatory for a Skymaster) were true, it would be impossible to train on a Skymaster to fly a Skymaster.

Tinstaafl
10th Feb 2015, 21:45
Oz allows a SE IR holder to fly a centreline thrust aircraft as long as the pilot is otherwise qualified to fly that plane. Historically, Oz has required type specific training and an instructor endorsement for all multi types.

Duchess_Driver
11th Feb 2015, 08:50
Maybe my comment isn't phrased in the best way...

I would hope that to operate an ME CLT aircraft in IMC you would have demonstrated that capability to an examiner. What I feel should not be allowed is that you do an SEIR in a SEP - then automatically jump into an ME CLT without having....

demonstrate the ability to perform the relevant procedures and manoeuvres with a degree of competency appropriate to the privileges granted.

Tinstaafl
11th Feb 2015, 09:42
What you're against is exactly what Oz allows. VFR pilot, get endorsed on a CLT (training as required with any multi instructor who is himself endorsed on type. Can be only an hour or two), get an IR in a single = go fly a CLT in IMC

No IMC test flight with an examiner required. AFAIK the C337 IMC related accident rate isn't any greater.