PDA

View Full Version : Footballer's Salary

SpringHeeledJack
5th Feb 2015, 08:25
A fun and disillusioning app to see how long it takes a footballer to earn your wages :hmm::}

BBC News - How long would it take you to earn a top footballer?s salary? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-31110113)

SHJ

charliegolf
5th Feb 2015, 09:04
Is there an app to tell him how long it will take him to work out a problem I can do mentally in seconds?;)

CG

Wingswinger
5th Feb 2015, 09:09
By not watching football either on the terraces or on the screen, by not buying replica shirts and by generally ignoring the business I am doing my bit to bring about an end to the undeserved riches heaped upon these people. How about others join in?

Allan Lupton
5th Feb 2015, 09:16
Two of our Banks/Building Societies were sponsoring that hugely wealthy game rather than paying us a half-decent interest rate on our savings.
Since one no longer does that, I presume that I wasn't the only one to point out the unfairness of it.
Barclay's Bank still does that.

Capetonian
5th Feb 2015, 09:18
How about others join in? I have never participated in anything to do with football. I loathe the adulation that is heaped upon the players, and even more so, of their slutty foulmouthed females.

I have to admit to having purchased a Barcelona football club shirt for my son, who is passionate about the team. I bought a genuine one from the club, and not a fake, as although the real one was more expensive, outrageously so, I have a greater objection to buying fake goods than I did to buying a real one.

charliegolf
5th Feb 2015, 09:24
I loathe the adulation that is heaped upon the players, and even more so, of their slutty foulmouthed females

Capey,

I just made a snidey remark about players to get into the spirit of things. But I most certainly have met a few delightful players and wives when their children were at my school. Angel Rangel (google him) is an absolute gentleman who wants his kids raised with good discipline and attitudes. Easy to like, and a great role model for 'my' boys.

I'm sure every club has such players.

For balance, you understand!

CG

Seldomfitforpurpose
5th Feb 2015, 09:36
Imagine that CG, you actually met someone and formed a valid opinion :ok:

I also wonder how many of those who have and will post on here would react if their son was lucky enough to make it in the footballing world :=

Capetonian
5th Feb 2015, 09:36
I understand that, charliegolf, and I agree with you. For every generalisation, such as the one I made, however valid it may be, there will be exceptions.

The daughter of friends of ours works for Victoria Beckham and from what we hear she is, contrary to the perception, a very kind and caring person who treats those around her very well. David, we are told, is : "even more gorgeous in real life than in pictures" and very pleasant. I've always thought he was a decent man and a good role model for youngsters and I think that's been proved over time.

That doesn't change the validity of my original statement.

skydiver69
5th Feb 2015, 09:43
I once arrested a youth team player for what was a Championship club. He was arrogant, over bearing, homophobic (he had just assaulted 3 homosexuals), way too over paid for his then role, and just a bit too clever for his own good. He wasn't a good role model and hasn't made it into the first team, however he is the only 'top' rank player I've met so I wouldn't want to jump to too many conclusions from him.

charliegolf
5th Feb 2015, 09:45
Imagine that CG, you actually met someone and formed a valid opinion

Whilst always being mindful about the opinions and A-holes rule SFFP!:ok:

CG

Oh, and I never claimed my opinion was valid neither!

Seldomfitforpurpose
5th Feb 2015, 11:38
I once arrested a youth team player for what was a Championship club. He was arrogant, over bearing, homophobic (he had just assaulted 3 homosexuals), way too over paid for his then role, and just a bit too clever for his own good. He wasn't a good role model and hasn't made it into the first team, however he is the only 'top' rank player I've met so I wouldn't want to jump to too many conclusions from him.

Did his wages make him as you describe or do you think it was his upbringing and character?

P6 Driver
5th Feb 2015, 13:11
About three years ago, a "sensible" UK newspaper stated in an article that the average wage for a Premiership squad member at the time was 23,000 per week.

I'd rather see the word "receive" instead of "earn" when footballers wages are mentioned!

Choxolate
5th Feb 2015, 13:23
A fun and disillusioning app to see how long it takes a footballer to earn your wages
I object to the word "earn" in this context.

skydiver69
5th Feb 2015, 13:34
Did his wages make him as you describe or do you think it was his upbringing and character?
I don't know the lad but I regularly see arrogant young men who think they can do anything they want and don't like to be challenged. Money just makes some of them worse.

teeteringhead
5th Feb 2015, 13:45
One is always surprised when the red-tops complain about bankers' bonusses there is never a mention of overpaid kick-ballers.

603DX
5th Feb 2015, 13:47
I think that football could with justification be called "The Marmite of sport", in that folk either love it or hate it, just like those brown jars.

Whereas I love a smear of Marmite on buttered toast, my attitude to football is not to go as far as hate or loathing, but to ignore it like some others here. Thank goodness, we live in a country where we are absolutely free to follow our own inclinations in this respect. It's not difficult, there are always other interests and hobbies to take up, and the football sections of my paper come in handy for wrapping vegetable peelings and so on ... ;)

londonblue
5th Feb 2015, 13:49
I personally don't have any issue with how much a footballer earns.

Firstly, don't forget we aren't talking about all footballers, just the very very top.

Secondly, as far as I'm concerned this is just market forces at work. Simple demand and supply. If the clubs can afford it then the players deserve it. If the clubs can't afford it, then more fool them.

Moreover, some people are born with huge intellectual ability and absolutely no sporting ability, and will often make a huge amount of money. An example is Bill Gates. He was the stereotypical school geek. Brilliant with computers, but absolutely rubbish on a sports field. But he is extremely talented in his field, and spent his entire life devoted to what he is good at, and is now reaping the rewards.

Some people are the opposite: they have huge sporting ability, but may be competing with a turkey in the IQ stakes. But they still have an extreme talent and have spent their entire lives devoted to it. Just because it isn't academic doesn't IMO make it any less of a talent.

I also think it is arrogant to say that because a human talent isn't mental, and is physical, it is in any way less of a talent.

As for footballers that behave badly, I don't see footballers as any different to the general population: some are bad, but most are good, law abiding citizens.

I happen to have a friend that is a football agent, and it is very interesting talking to him about footballers in general. As he pointed out to me, most of the footballers that behave badly are from the UK. You very rarely hear of a foreign footballer getting into trouble.

oldchina
5th Feb 2015, 13:52
The manager can't speak English and the players tell it like it is ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGlaG9hKgs

crippen
5th Feb 2015, 14:06
a Policeman was on the same wage as the (then limited) wage of a professional footballer. 1000 pounds a year.:sad:

sitigeltfel
5th Feb 2015, 14:06
One is always surprised when the red-tops complain about bankers' bonusses there is never a mention of overpaid kick-ballers.

Some people contend that footballers salaries do not affect those who do not support the game, but they do.

Most of the top players receive a portion of what they are paid as "image rights", money that bypasses the normal earnings tax system by being paid into limited, and often offshore companies. These companies are of course tax efficient, allowing the footballers to avoid a lot of what the normal wage earners would have to pay to HMRC.
The authorities are trying to clamp down on it but the lawyers and accountants are always one step ahead.

Funny how you never hear Miliband or Balls complaining about this manipulation of the tax system?

Toadstool
5th Feb 2015, 14:29
Good points londonblue.

There is a fair degree of intellectual snobbery going on.

I prefer Rugby Union as a game but will follow the football scores. There are hundreds of thousands if not more people in the UK who follow football with varying degrees of fanaticism. I don't scoff at their hobby or interests just as I wouldn't expect them to scoff at mine.

As for footballers earning huge sums it is just market forces at work. How much a footballer earns, obscene as it may be, doesn't affect my life in any way, or the price of fish.

londonblue
5th Feb 2015, 14:37
Toadstool.

I agree, there is a lot of snobbery around football.

The other analogy I would use is Tim Henman. From an early age he told every one he wanted to be a tennis player. His family is extremely middle class, and his brother qualified as a lawyer, but he decided tennis was for him, and spent his entire life devoted to it.

Does anyone begrudge him the tens of millions he has earned from his physical talent rather than his mental talent? I suspect not. So the question then becomes, what are the differences? The only differences are the sport itself, and the background of the person involved.

Tankertrashnav
5th Feb 2015, 15:31
I'm thinking of setting up a charity to help these poor souls out

Footballers who once earned millions face penury over tax demands | Football | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/23/footballers-tax-demands-hmrc)

How many of you would like to contribute a tenner, say?

A fiver?

A quid?

Anything?

Oh well, I may have to think again ;)

Capetonian
5th Feb 2015, 15:38
They have my sympathy.

Here's my contribution :
http://www.theglobalphotographer.com/storage/Zim_10trillion.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1260463658653
On second thoughts ........ just realised it would cost me about a million times more for the stamp and envelope than it's worth!

funfly
5th Feb 2015, 15:45
250,000 a week.

a week?

I'm outa here:ooh:

robtheblade
5th Feb 2015, 15:53
I used to live in an area where several quite high profile players also lived. All without exception were a pleasure to have as neighbours, even the one who went on to Hollywood "stardom".

Curious Pax
5th Feb 2015, 15:55
It always amuses me when these anti-football threads start, as a number of the folks that object to the high wages footballers earn are the same folks who on other threads would be apoplectic if the 2 Eds suggested implemented a salary cap for any other profession.

If you want to blame anyone for current salaries the you don't need to look too much further than Rupert Murdoch. The creation of the Premier League and Sky's capture of the broadcasting rights for it was where things began to change.

Having said that the very top players (probably maximum of 100 in the Premier League) distort the average wage stats. It's only a handful of years since we had a Premier League footballer and his family renting our house for 3 years while we were abroad. He played for a team towards the bottom of end of the league at the time, and was more a squad player (made about 15-20 starts a season). I never saw his payslip, but knowing what he was paying us, and his lifestyle while living here would suggest that he was on less than 100K per season. Not to be sneezed at for most people, but light years away from what many assume anyone in the top 2 divisions would earn. Nice chap who always paid his rent on time and left the house in a decent state, so no stereotype there either.

charliegolf
5th Feb 2015, 16:40
CP

I never saw his payslip, but knowing what he was paying us, and his lifestyle while living here would suggest that he was on less than 100K per season.

Two or 3 years back, the average salary of a Championship player was c200k. Reasonable to assume that no Premiership player was on less?

CG

londonblue
5th Feb 2015, 16:44
If you want to blame anyone for current salaries the you don't need to look too much further than Rupert Murdoch. The creation of the Premier League and Sky's capture of the broadcasting rights for it was where things began to change.

Spot on.

A few years back I went to a charity evening in aid of the Willow Foundation. This foundation was set up by Bob Wilson in memory of his daughter who died of cancer just before her 32nd birthday. The evening was a talk by Bob Wilson, David Pleat and David Kohler.

Bob Wilson and David Pleat both also blamed Sky, not just for the rise in players' wages, but also for the state for the England team, although they weren't too impressed with the FA either.

David Kohler told a story of how Sky came to win the rights to live football. He was Chairman of Luton at the time, and Luton were in the 1st Division. By a twist of fate I have long forgotten he ended up with the casting vote, and had had a difference of opinion with the head of ITV sport just prior to the vote so he voted for Sky...in the end Luton were relegated and didn't even feature in the newly formed Premier League.

It was a genuinely interesting evening, and raised money for a good cause to boot.

Ripline
5th Feb 2015, 16:53
to boot

very good - I nearly missed that!

Ripline

victor tango
6th Feb 2015, 18:32
Capetonian re yr #24

There you are, in your local Zimbabwe Pub, go up to the bar, "half of bitter please"........and then offer that bank note.

Beggars belief dunnit:rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Feb 2015, 09:45
Well, it's only ten trillion but you might get away with it if the beer is not too dear.

I have a couple of 150 trillion notes floating around some place. Well done Bob! You made everyone a gazillionaire.:D

SET 18
7th Feb 2015, 16:57
I'm a fan of football. Whenever I here people chastising what players earn, as well as telling them how I detest envy, I mention that someone like Rooney (on about 250k a week I believe) would only need four words in reply to criticism.

"you do it then"

Any takers among all the people who resents what he earns? Don't be shy. Step up and stake your claim....:ugh:

Interested Passenger
7th Feb 2015, 17:18
list of companies to boycott if you don't want to contribute to Rooney's new Bentley. My Football Facts & Stats | Premier League | Shirt Sponsors (http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Shirt_Sponsors.html)

mainly airlines and betting shops, so I've just got to dump my samsung phone, and change my accounts package:ok:

Mr Chips
8th Feb 2015, 11:56
I should confess at the outset that I am a rugby fan, not into football, but I have my opinions!

The money sloshing around football is obscene. You could knocks zero off every figure and it would still be a large amount.

I like to compare it to Hollywood.

Footballs costs have to be paid by someone - the punters. If the money goes up then so do the ticket prices, subscriptions costs, shirt costs etc.

Now look at Hollywood. Regardless of what the leading actor in a film gets paid, regardless what the film costs to make, the cinema ticket will be the same wherever you see it or whatever film you see, the DVD will cost the same as another DVD.

Nobody is "worth" hundreds of thousands of pounds per week, it's not market forces, it's an artificial market.

Compare now to rugby, with salary caps, much lower pay, more England qualified players than leading football teams have, and -dare I say it - a more successful national team....

Interested Passenger
8th Feb 2015, 12:27
our national team is a joke because our top leagues are full of international players

Akrotiri71
8th Feb 2015, 12:56
I'm a fan of football. Whenever I here people chastising what players earn, as well as telling them how I detest envy, I mention that someone like Rooney (on about 250k a week I believe) would only need four words in reply to criticism.

"you do it then"

Any takers among all the people who resents what he earns? Don't be shy. Step up and stake your claim....:ugh:

Agree.

Also remember most professional sportsperson's careers are limited. Pass 30, in football, your career is on the decline. A career ending injury, early on, is also something to consider. Not every professional gets a shot as a pundit on MOTD when their career is finished, or make it into management.

Hopefully a professional sportsperson will make hay whilst the sun shines, & accumulate their wealth for retirement or rainy days ahead.

My next door neighbour, who plays midfield for Peterhead FC, has a full-time professional day-job. So he has something to fall back on. Full-time professionals usually don't.

If I had been good enough to play a professional sport at the top, & make a good living, I'd have grabbed it with both hands. Unfortunately, booze, fags & dirty girls were more important to me at 18.

Actually, the reality was, I wasn't good enough. :(

Windy Militant
8th Feb 2015, 15:58
So playing the Devils Advocate card here and agreeing that sportsmen do have a limited time to so need to make the most of it when they can, does not the same argument ring true for train drivers then. Well apart from the short time span.
If you don't like how much they're paid then "you do it then" :p

While not really being the fault of the players there's the whole having stuff made by sweatshops and charging extortionate prices for it several times a year.

Cape you might just have well bought the knock off shirt as they were probably made by the same people as make the real ones! ;)

Arch Stanton
8th Feb 2015, 20:21

"Compare now to rugby, with salary caps, much lower pay, more England qualified players than leading football teams have, and -dare I say it - a more successful national team...."

A more "successful national team" mainly because there are only about eight countries in the world who actually play the game. About as impressive as being one of the most successful synchronised swimming teams in the world.

Yet again envious rugger types trying to compare their sport with football. Why don't you compare what rugby players get paid with golfers or tennis players or any popular sports in the USA to see where they actually rank in ability?

Mr Chips
8th Feb 2015, 20:51
Thanks for the grown up, mature response Arch Stanton
A more "successful national team" mainly because there are only about eight countries in the world who actually play the game. About as impressive as being one of the most successful synchronised swimming teams in the world.
IRB Rankings says 102 actually. (England are fourth in case you were interested)
Yet again envious rugger types trying to compare their sport with football
No I'm not. I haven't mentioned anything else about why rugby is a far superior sport (purely in my own opinion) The discussion is about salary, with a slight side issue of how salary seems to affect the national team
Why don't you compare what rugby players get paid with golfers or tennis players or any popular sports in the USA to see where they actually rank in ability?
Two issues there.
1. Its a discussion about football, not other sports
2. A comparison of salary would show how they rank in pay, not in ability. However, to take your theme, are you suggesting that Wayne Rooney is a better sportsman/athlete than Johnny Wilkinson?

AeroSpark
8th Feb 2015, 21:07
If you think football salaries are ridiculous then have a look at what the top baseball players earn. Some of them wouldn't get out of bed for Rooneys pay packet!

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Feb 2015, 21:18
Two issues there.

1. Its a discussion about football, not other sports
2. A comparison of salary would show how they rank in pay, not in ability. However, to take your theme, are you suggesting that Wayne Rooney is a better sportsman/athlete than Johnny Wilkinson?

If its a discussion about footy why the rugby interjection?

Mr Chips
8th Feb 2015, 21:31
If its a discussion about footy why the rugby interjection?
Simple. As a comparison. I compared to Hollywood as well.

Makes more sense than comparing to nothing, or to unrelated industry.

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Feb 2015, 21:36
Ah, riiiiiiigght :p

SET 18
8th Feb 2015, 22:41
Makes me despair a bit.

Imagine that flying suddenly became something that millions of people aspired to do and would pay through the nose just to watch. Imagine we were considered heroes and that we should all be paid much, much more. NONE of you/us would turn this down.

Just because it is not us we shouldn't envy those whom it happens to be. You're all hypocrites. No-one HAS to pay to watch or contribute to the football pot; the attraction, passion of the game and brilliance of the top professionals means they want to.

The top chairmen know that the best players are well-worth what they pay them. I think we are too, but others may not. What do we say to those who think we are not worth what we are paid by our chairmen?

malcolm380
8th Feb 2015, 23:08
....and anyone who thinks highly paid Premier League footballers are all just Bentley driving, semi-literate party animals, just take a look at what Didier Drogba has done, and continues to do, with his vast wealth. A role model in any walk of life.