nick14
4th Feb 2015, 16:18
Hi all,

Came across this in NCO:

NCO.OP.180

The pilot in command shall, when carrying passengers or cargo, not simulate:

Situations that require the application of abnormal or emergency procedures; or
Flight in IMC.

Does this mean that when flying with friends (qualified PPL) I cannot practice EFATO, PFL etc?

S-Works
4th Feb 2015, 16:28
That applies to commercial ops......

nick14
4th Feb 2015, 18:50
It's NCO though?

Radix
4th Feb 2015, 19:05

3 Point
4th Feb 2015, 20:15
Hay Bose,

So, remind me; what does the "NC" in Part NCO stand for??

Got to be precise with terminology as I said on the CRI thread!!

I've not yet studied Part NCO but it specifically applies to "Non Commercial" ops in "Other than complex motor powered aircraft".

nick, you could call your mate a crew-member (perhaps an additional pair of eyes to perform lookout) and then you have no passenger!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Please don't let's get started with the minimum crew versus operator's preferred crew argument again. An aircraft's minimum crew as stipulated in its certification is not a maximum, only a minimum.

(That'll put the cat among the pigeons!!)

3 Point

nick14
4th Feb 2015, 20:22
There is a get out for training however it specifically states training conducted under an ATO, so how could one conduct the SEP reval flight as a freelance CRI?

It's basically saying you can only practice the skills necessary for safe operation alone or under an ATOs management and training manual?

Pete O'Tewbe
4th Feb 2015, 20:31
...... so how could one conduct the SEP reval flight as a freelance CRI?

By not carrying passengers or cargo, perhaps?

BillieBob
5th Feb 2015, 09:17
you could call your mate a crew-memberThat will work if you are the 'operator' but not, for example, in the case of SFH. The fact is that it will only become an issue if something goes wrong and you end up in court trying to justify your actions.

LAI
5th Feb 2015, 16:22
so how could one conduct the SEP reval flight as a freelance CRI?

You are not carrying passengers as, in that case, you are both crew members (whoever the CRI is instructing is classed as a student, not a passenger). Therefore, the limitation doesn't apply! :ok: