PDA

View Full Version : The movie"Imitation"

oldpax
3rd Feb 2015, 05:21
An antidote for "Sniper".The film condenses the Bletchley park story very well and the "Hero" Alan Turing does not kill anyone!His treatment after the war which led to his suicide was disgraceful and it would appear that the security services did nothing to help him,quite an emotional movie.I wonder if it will go down well in the states!!!

Tarq57
3rd Feb 2015, 06:24
Agree. I enjoyed the film a great deal. Excellent acting, evocative opening scene.

May not have cleaved to the facts entirely, but certainly gave a good sense of what it may have been like.

He was indeed treated disgracefully.

james ozzie
3rd Feb 2015, 06:31
It seems Hollywood is adopting a new stereotype: A person cannot be intelligent or brilliant without being an Asperger's/autistic savant. Turing was apparently sociable and had many friends, not as portrayed in the movie as humourless and unemotional.
Why does society tend to treat smart people with disdain?

Geeks, nerds, boffins etc etc.

probes
3rd Feb 2015, 07:08
I've been wondering, too.
And advertise some real weirdos (surgically altered to absurd often, think of the 'human Kens and Barbies', for example), which probably makes them weirder and others jump the wagon to get their 15 sec of 'fame' as well.

Metro man
3rd Feb 2015, 08:05
The problem was that he was a poofter long before it became fashionable like it is today. In the 1940s it was illegal and police targeted the usual locations i.e. public toilets, parks and underneath bridges. No doubt they heard some very interesting stories from men who were literally caught with their pants down, and a few promising careers were cut short.

Even in the 1970s it was still frowned upon, as the late Jeremy Thorpe found out.

ORAC
3rd Feb 2015, 08:10
As said, a good story, but not supported by the facts.

Alan Turing: Inquest's suicide verdict 'not supportable' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18561092)

mikedreamer787
3rd Feb 2015, 09:18
The problem was that he was a poofterHe was a poofter Mr Metro?

Dammit but thanks for the heads up. I was going to say something good about him I found in a war archive publication in the 80s. :(

UniFoxOs
3rd Feb 2015, 09:24
As said, a good story, but not supported by the facts.

Quite agree, although a few of the factual errors semed to me to be really unnecessary for dramatic reasons. Still enjoyed it, though.

Same comments re the Hawking film. But Turner - another story entirely...

tony draper
3rd Feb 2015, 09:48
History has few women with big tits ergo Hollywood has to improvise,not just Hollywood I cannot stand Brit War films of the 40s and 50s where apparently the only part the horny handed sons of toil(who were all apparently cockneys) played was to bring endless cups of cocoa to the posh blokes on the bridge or in the cockpit.
:rolleyes:

Tankertrashnav
3rd Feb 2015, 10:56
the only part the horny handed sons of toil(who were all apparently cockneys) played was to bring endless cups of cocoa to the posh blokes on the bridge or in the cockpit.

John Mills managed to do both parts, depending on the film. He'd alternate between doing his cheeky chirpy cockney corporal bit (Dunkirk, etc) to being the the posh bloke receiving the cocoa (Above Us the Waves etc).

WW2 wouldnt have been the same without him!

tony draper
3rd Feb 2015, 11:08
Always found John Mills very irritating dunno why prolly a perfectly nice bloke,he was our equivalent of John Wayne never defeated in the history of motion pictures only his arse was much closer to the ground of course.:)

Pontius
3rd Feb 2015, 13:53
I'm glad I perused this thread because I downloaded the movie (The Imitation Game, not just 'Imitation') and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm amazed how that bloke from Star Trek manages to solve crimes in London and break Nazi codes but he must be a very clever chap.......well, we know that much I suppose.

I wonder what other juicy secrets will eventually find their way out as the years roll on? Did the Royal Navy really know about the Japanese fleet making their way towards Pearl Harbor but kept quiet to 'encourage' the US into WWII? All will be revealed soon ;)

ORAC
3rd Feb 2015, 14:10
I wonder what other juicy secrets will eventually find their way out as the years roll on? Did the Royal Navy really know about the Japanese fleet making their way towards Pearl Harbor but kept quite to 'encourage' the US into WWII? All will be revealed soon Bletchley had cracked those as well, though not mentioned in the film...

Hut 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hut_7)

The Emperor's Codes

UniFoxOs
3rd Feb 2015, 16:36
that bloke from Star Trek

the villain, Khan????

Fubaar
3rd Feb 2015, 21:15
Anyone who wants a very good spin on the same story and the way the people involved in the breaking of the Enigma codes lived after the war should seek out the excellent TV series 'The Bletchley Girls'. These women were sent back into civilian life strictly bound by the Official Secrets Act so that they weren't even permitted to tell their husbands what they had done during the war.

reynoldsno1
4th Feb 2015, 00:17
never defeated in the history of motion pictures
... apart from "Morning Departure" Mr. D, when even Mr. Mills proves to be mortal ....

ExSp33db1rd
4th Feb 2015, 01:25
..........but kept quiet to 'encourage' the US into WWII? All will be revealed soon

It has been suggested that Churchill knew, but refrained from telling FDR, and was delighted when he heard of the attack. Maybe delighted is the wrong word, but he was not exactly as mortified as he might, or should, have been?

So I've read

John Hill
4th Feb 2015, 04:26
Did someone mention the Dutch codebreaker of Room 14?

India Four Two
8th Feb 2015, 07:59
I've just seen the film, and I thought it was a travesty. One of the most disappointing films I've seen for a long time.

At the beginning, it says "Based on a true story". Clearly this is a completely new definition of the concept. I've read several books on Turing and even attempted his paper on what came to be known as the Turing Machine. I've also read books on Bletchley Park and Enigma.

I could not believe how farcical and unrealistic the screen play was. My advice for anyone who knows anything about this subject is don't waste your money.

A much better film is Codebreaker (Codebreaker | Britain's Greatest Codebreaker | Alan Turing Documentary Film (http://www.turingfilm.com)