PDA

View Full Version : A worthy cause perhaps?

Ventre A Terre
2nd Feb 2015, 22:20
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/get-the-strutter-flying

From the site:

"13 years ago, a bunch of charismatic pensioners in Scotland, decided to build a replica WW1 biplane with no money, no previous experience and limited facilities. Despite many difficulties and set-backs...they're nearly there!

With great good humour, boundless optimism and a love of craftsmanship, they taught each other long forgotten skills and turned retirement into the greatest challenge of their lives...and they are so close to succeeding.
They are all members of the Aircraft Preservation Society, Scotland (APSS) and from their own subscriptions, scraps of money from here and there, a mountain of goodwill and working voluntarily for thousands of hours...the aircraft is 90% complete - but with 90% to go.

They're aiming to complete the aircraft by the end of 2015 to meet the centenary of WW1 and the maiden flight of the original aeroplane...the Sopwith 1 and 1/2 Strutter.

All that stands in the way of the Strutter's first flight is £15,000.

The aircraft has cost around £40,000 to date and the APSS have sold some treasured possessions to get that far."

I'm not sure if this has already made it into these hallowed forae; if has, my apologies for the duplication! If any PPruners have a spare shekel or two and were willing to spare them, I'm sure they would be greatly appreciated.

BZ to these old boys!:D:D:D:D:D

Davef68
3rd Feb 2015, 08:35
'No previous experience' is a little harsh - no previous experience of building WW1 biplanes perhaps, but most of them have years of experience in avaition engineering.

Having seen it close up, it's a remarkable project, not least because of occasional problems (if not hostility) from NMS.

Ventre A Terre
3rd Feb 2015, 10:25
'No previous experience' is a little harsh

Their words Dave, lifted from their website. Agree it's a remarkable project and well worth supporting!

Herod
3rd Feb 2015, 11:22
Donated and forwarded. Worth a few bob.