PDA

View Full Version : UK..Human nature...from the downright ugly to the complete opposite.

Krystal n chips
1st Feb 2015, 06:31
This story has been developing on a daily basis.

Every time I logged on to the BBC''s website, the amount just keeps increasing.

BBC News - Alan Barnes: Disabled mugging victim fund reaches £200k (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-31079546)

Cynical though most of us are about humanity in general, it's a truly emotive response. The lady who organised the initial campaign deserves a special mention for doing so.

As for the offender who assaulted the gentleman, it's fair to say that even a Guardian reader wouldn't be too upset if he encountered some of the locals who may not entirely be law abiding citizens and who would be " less than impressed " therefore with his actions.

That said, I would prefer to send him on a short holiday. Scotland, rather than North Wales / Snowdonia would be ideal at this time of year as there are some very remote areas.

For somebody who feels he's so "hard", three or four weeks survival with the minimum of support and shelter would be worth watching.

No Human Rights would be breached now would they.

Wingswinger
1st Feb 2015, 06:44
The poor fellow has probably had a hell of a life but at least his sunset years will be in some comfort now. Your'e too soft, K&C. The pond-life responsible should be strung up by his gonads.

Pinky the pilot
1st Feb 2015, 06:54
Anyone remember the short story by (I think) Jeffery Archer where a wealthy barrister defends and gets a couple of scrotes off a murder charge.

Then it is found that the scotes murdered an ex SAS man down on his luck and the Barrister was his former CO.

The scrotes were subsequently found floating in a lake somewhere!

The pond-life responsible should be strung up by his gonads.

Nahh, I prefer K n c's idea,(see below) although JA's story also has its merits!

That said, I would prefer to send him on a short holiday. Scotland, rather than North Wales / Snowdonia would be ideal at this time of year as there are some very remote areas.

rh200
1st Feb 2015, 08:26
Human nature, its animal nature, fairly well every trait we exhibit as a species can be found in some form in the rest of the animal kingdom.

We just have a habit of amplifying particular traits. Till we accept what we are and stop thinking of ourselves as some huggy fluffy being, the sooner we can deal with things on a logical level.

radeng
1st Feb 2015, 08:57
It does appear to me that prison sentences are far too short, especially with the 'serve half the time if you're a good boy' approach. Looking at the sentences handed out to the eastern Europeans who attacked the college lecturer in his own home, they are, to my mind, a slap on the wrist. 50 years minimum would have been more to the point.

There's is doubtless a lot wrong with the US system, but their approach to keeping such evil, wicked and dangerous people off the streets has some distinct advantages over our system.

Capetonian
1st Feb 2015, 09:09
If the UK had not signed up for the idiotic 'free movement of EU citizens within the EU' scum like that would probably not have been allowed into the country in the first place as they would have had to have proved that they had means of support and employment before being allowed in.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Feb 2015, 12:52
Pinky - The story is The Veteran, by Frederick Forsyth. Jeffrey Archer would, if there were any justice, be in the lake also.

Capetonian
1st Feb 2015, 13:21
I remember seeing a group of vigilantes getting hold of a criminal in Cape Town. Within seconds he was screaming for help ........ from the police! Way to go!

Andy_S
1st Feb 2015, 13:29
Even by the standards of petty thuggery and anti-social behaviour we seem to tolerate in the UK, this was pretty heinous. You must be particularly black hearted to beat up someone as obviouly vulnerable as this old man.

I'm amazed that there appears to have been no breakthrough in identifying the perp or perps. Someone, somewhere must know or have a very good idea who did this.

I hope, if the police get a tip off, that they manage to get the word out. Before putting the kettle on and having a very leisurely brew......

con-pilot
1st Feb 2015, 18:13
Jeffrey Archer would, if there were any justice, be in the lake also.

That's a bit harsh, I did like his books. :\

pvmw
1st Feb 2015, 18:22
That's a bit harsh, I did like his booksReally? I'm astonished. I only ever read one, that was more than enough. Drivel, and very poorly written drivel at that.

con-pilot
1st Feb 2015, 18:31
Really? I'm astonished.

Well, it was a long time ago. So at least I think I remember liking them. However, that was many Scotches ago. :p

Loose rivets
1st Feb 2015, 18:57
I remember the newly revived JA in an interview. He looked at the young chap and said, "And that's why I've got fifty-million in the bank and you haven't."

Criiiiiiinge, but then, my book hasn't made fifty-million farthings, and I haven't got the 'fragrant' Mrs Archer.*

*So described by a high court judge in one of the many cases.

OFSO
1st Feb 2015, 20:08
So described by a high court judge in one of the many cases

Indeed. I always found it a strange turn of phrase: I have paid many compliments in my life - to members of all three sexes - but never described any of them as "fragrant", not even those who were emerging from a high-class perfumery after an ad-hoc testing session.

Quite concur with suggested penalties. However after watching today's TV news I fear one magazine would not suffice for me to right all the injustices I've seen mentioned.

Pinky the pilot
2nd Feb 2015, 00:14
Fox3WheresMyBanana; Thanks!:ok:

As for JA and his books; Confession time.

I do read 'em.:O

pigboat
2nd Feb 2015, 01:01
Fox I have Forsyth's book The Veteran, and for some reason the hero of that story always reminds me of our late friend Davaar.

G-CPTN
9th Feb 2015, 22:14
Police have now arrested and charged a 25 year old with the assault and attempted robbery of Alan Barnes.
Richard Gatiss, will appear at Gateshead magistratesí court on Tuesday morning.
I hope he is prepared for the reception committee . . .