PDA

View Full Version : Fat Kids

Effluent Man
30th Jan 2015, 07:46
An article on the BBC saying that levels of childhood obesity are leveling off. It seems to me blindingly obvious why. If,for example,50% of the population have the capacity for obesity after a certain period of time that proportion will be reached.

The other 50% are those who will not become obese simply because their metabolism combined with their eating habits prevents it. People like myself have the capacity to be obese but because I just had a cup of coffee and two slices of toast I don't become obese.If I regularly consumed the Heart Attack Platter I could quite easily carry another three stone.

G&T ice n slice
30th Jan 2015, 08:25
Shouldn't we just harvest them? Would save the rainforests being cut down to make burgers.

ehwatezedoing
30th Jan 2015, 08:51
Burgers are made of wood !? :confused:

Exascot
30th Jan 2015, 09:01
Yes I didn't follow that argument either :confused:

In Greece we often have roast kid for lunch though.

I think the solution is to cut down their lunchtime beer ration. Also it makes them sleepy for afternoon lessons. Kill two birds with one stone. I shall write to the education secretary about it.

Avionker
30th Jan 2015, 09:09
G&T is referring to the deforestation of the Amazon basin, where the newly claimed agricultural land is used primarily for beef production.

Tankertrashnav
30th Jan 2015, 09:22
Mrs TTN and I have noticed that as the kids exit from the local comp there is a distinct lack of fatties among them - most look pretty fit and "normal"

We do have a theory, however, that the obese kids are all being kept behind in "fat detention" and then quietly let out later and taken home in buses with blacked out windows ;)

Exascot
30th Jan 2015, 09:34
Ah thanks for the explanation.

TTN why are you watching children coming out of school? :E

MagnusP
30th Jan 2015, 09:34
A "levelling-off of the rate of increase of obesity" implies a third-order polynomial. Reckon the pollies understand what that is?

Capetonian
30th Jan 2015, 10:06
When my son was younger and I used to drop him off and pick him up at school, I was shocked at how fat some of the kids were, particularly a lot of the girls.

As he got older, he took the bus and I no longer had an excuse to wait outside the school and ogle the 16 and 17 year old girls! However for quite unrelated reasons, I sometimes drive past the school and I can't say I've noticed any 'slimming down'.

finfly1
30th Jan 2015, 10:10
disregard....

Rwy in Sight
30th Jan 2015, 11:42
TTN why are you watching children coming out of school?

Exascot, kalo mina for tomorrow.

Watching 14-16 years old out of school is a good way to see where the world is heading to. And it is funny how opinions between generations don't change - the ones in the 40's keep thinking the same for those in the teens.

Also I hopped you did not join the PC brigade.

Rwy in Sight

rgbrock1
30th Jan 2015, 11:46
Like many others I too poke fun, on occasion, at the fatties of the world.
But I have never forgotten my own childhood, spent as one of those aforementioned fatties. To say I was ridiculed at school would be an understatement. Wasn't nice, for sure. But at least now I can unequivocally state that I'm a former fattie! :}

probes
30th Jan 2015, 12:28
YOU, a fattie... no way. Seriously? :confused:

rgbrock1
30th Jan 2015, 12:34
Yup, probes. My nickname was "Blimpie." I blame my mother and grandmother for feeding me copious amounts of pasta when I was a yoof. Way too much pasta, way to many canoles, way too much chocolate, etc.

It also didn't help that my maternal grandmother's moto in life was "If you see something you like, eat it." :eek:

Exascot
30th Jan 2015, 15:19
RIS So, these new austerity measures under your new government means that you are knocking days off the month. Apo Botswana Kalo Mina gia met avrio :p

Rwy in Sight
30th Jan 2015, 15:44
Exascot,

PPRuNe is one of the few sites I am allowed to access from the office. The day's goals were completed so I decided to do some PPRuNing. The new government is still trying to figure some solutions and measures but hopefully they don't going to rock the boat too much.

Hope to see you over beers soon - although I am going through an alcohol free month.

Rwy in Sight

rgbrock1
30th Jan 2015, 16:24
Rwy wrote:

Hope to see you over beers soon - although I am going through an alcohol free month.

I'd rather shoot myself, to be honest.

ChrisVJ
30th Jan 2015, 17:01
According to yet another study (which will no doubt be repudiated in about three weeks) reported on the news last night people who drink too much are more prone to strokes, however those who drink moderately are actually less prone to stroke than those who do not drink alcohol at all.

"I was feeling pretty good about that as I drink very moderately, one glass of wine each evening.

Until they said that a 'glass' was 4 oz.

Oh sh*t!

probes
30th Jan 2015, 17:09
"I was feeling pretty good about that as I drink very moderately, one glass of wine each evening.
obviously you haven't read the most recent study which discovered, that if you go without any for even 1 night a week, you'll die healthier.
Unless it's beer, which is bad (well, worse than wine), which is really bad news for me :sad:.
Mrs Exascot made me finish my beer. Apparently it is bad form to carry it into the doctor's surgery with you
shouldn't she have made you buy a second one for the doc? :E

- sorry, forgot for a moment that beer is bad... badder than wine, anyway. So make it wine? :sad:

Curious Pax
30th Jan 2015, 18:36
I'd rather shoot myself, to be honest.

A bit harsh - Rwy has always seemed like a reasonably sociable chap

I know - hat; coat.........

Rwy in Sight
30th Jan 2015, 19:46
Curious Pax thanks!

rgbrock1,
two other female ppruners went through the experiment/ experience last year and it was inspiring - for me at least. I can assure you and some ppruners can vouch for me I maintain a healthy alcohol consumption the rest of the year.

Now a month without coffee that's really hard if I am to maintain anything resembling a normal life.

Rwy in Sight

probes
30th Jan 2015, 20:08
Now a month without coffee that's really hard...
oh, gosh, these are words of wisdom... :sad:
I have the first cup of green tea, and then... ach!... youknow...

btw, it really helps. Good luck to you!

G-CPTN
30th Jan 2015, 21:27
I didn't realise that I was addicted to coffee until I was sent from Denmark (where I lived and worked) to Italy.

I was a bag of 'worry' by the time I got to the main Italian airport (and it wasn't fear of flying). What was worse was that coffee was only available in 'thimbles' and it was expensive.

(I was used to large cups of extremely strong coffee from the machine directly behind my desk - the company supplied unlimited free coffee grounds and I ensured that there was always a pot of freshly-brewed coffee throughout the day.)

con-pilot
30th Jan 2015, 23:14
I don't drink coffee, so I have to make do with alcohol. :p

Hydromet
31st Jan 2015, 00:28
I allow myself one glass of red wine each day. I'm following this regimen quite strictly.
Currently, I'm up to July 24th, 2024.

Rwy in Sight
31st Jan 2015, 07:53
There was a thread about coffee but I will continue the conversation here. I like to know what do you define as strong coffee? I used to drink instant coffee but then I was told this version is considered the lowest of the qualities. Then I switched to espresso that it is indeed served to 'thimbles' but you can take a double espresso and it is somewhat larger. But I can assure you it is strong. Cost does not come into equation - company provides espresso and I have a machine at home - although I would agree it costs about .50 Euros per capsule.

Also I went for a coffee free month in August - September 2013 and I was waking up - go to the office return home at around 6 pm have a nap to 9pm go to bed again at 11. An experience I don't want to repeat.
So what was strong coffee for you?

Rwy in Sight

probes
31st Jan 2015, 08:51
instant is definitely the very worst that can be.

Green tea helps, really, and strong tea (I have it with milk) - these have caffein, too, but are somehow different from coffee.

RAFish
31st Jan 2015, 14:42
Double Express and a spoonful of demerara! :ok:

I've cut down on spirits and beer. Wine is much healthier for you!

As I firmly believe in health foods I have installed a separate wine fridge next to my fireplace and within arms reach of my favourite chair!

Of course I recognize that one shouldn't be excessive so I restrict myself to Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc and Shiraz.

G-CPTN
31st Jan 2015, 22:52
what was strong coffee for you?
Denmark has filter coffee machines that feed boiling water by gravity through coffee grounds into a glass jar that is kept warm on an electric hotplate.

The strength of the coffee depends on the ratio of coffee to the charge of water, and, as the company provided unlimited quantities of free coffee - and, I was in charge of the coffee machine, I was able to percolate my coffee 'strong' - really strong.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Feb 2015, 20:56
Referencing the OP, my neighbour's daughters have been out on skis/snowmobile for 5 hours in the field opposite. It is -25 with the windchill (they do stop every so often for a warmup).
They have no problem with "Go play outside!"

tony draper
1st Feb 2015, 21:05
I think we skinny folks should all get a tax rebate.:)

rgbrock1
2nd Feb 2015, 12:43
Fox3 wrote:

Referencing the OP, my neighbour's daughters have been out on skis/snowmobile for 5 hours in the field opposite

I see the word snow in this sentence and I am NOT amused. One week ago today we received 12" of the white stuff. Today? Another 12".

Is it July yet? Why isn't it 80F? We MUST be told.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Feb 2015, 12:49
We are forecast for 18" tonight - do we complain? No, we start planning the winter sports!

Move to Hawaii if the cold bothers you.

Is it July yet?

bac8pAmJL08

garybell
2nd Feb 2015, 13:42
Alcohol and Water

To my friends who enjoy a glass of beer..and those who don't.

As Ben Franklin said:
In wine there is wisdom,
in beer there is freedom,
in water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials,
scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 litre of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in faeces.

In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or Gin, rum, whisky or other spirits), because alcohol has to go through many purification processes.

Remember:
Water = Poop, Beer = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink Beer and talk shit,
than to drink water and be full of shit.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information:
I'm doing it as a public service.

rgbrock1
2nd Feb 2015, 13:46
garybell:

Thank you for your public information statement. I whole-heartedly support your notion of beer being much, much healthier than water. Now if I can only get my employer to see this valid point. :}

Rwy in Sight
2nd Feb 2015, 17:37
Well rgbrock1,

When you say 80F my mind to something a long gone but not forgotten member would have thought.

Regards,

Rwy in Sight

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Feb 2015, 04:31
I've cut down on spirits and beer. Wine is much healthier for you!

Debatable. If you can put the fizzy commercial crap in your mouth, there are few depths to which you would not sink.:}

A decent pint however....:ok:

probes
3rd Feb 2015, 06:19
What a video, Fox! :ok:
Apart from my eyes feeling a bit misty - do Northern Lights really reflect like that on snow?

Pinky the pilot
3rd Feb 2015, 11:10
Debatable. If you can put the fizzy commercial crap in your mouth, there are few depths to which you would not sink.

I wouldn't argue with that SRT. however, what would you say about the bottle of good Barossa Cab Sav I demolished this evening?:=

Was only going to have half the bottle but .......ah well....:D

Still wish I could remember the name of that SA Cabernet I once found in a convenience store in Hokkaido! Beautiful stuff!!:ok::ok:

BTW Rgbrock1; Cold enough for ya, man?:D:E:}

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Feb 2015, 11:54
...what would you say about the bottle of good Barossa Cab Sav I demolished this evening?

Mix it with a bottle of Coke and it would be somewhat palatable?:}

CT may be the person to speak to re the Japie Cab. He lives down that way and possibly partakes of the odd pint of the stuff. A good start would be to figure out if it was a Dutch name or something newer and trendier.

rgbrock1
3rd Feb 2015, 12:07
pinky asked

BTW Rgbrock1; Cold enough for ya, man?

We're sorry but the number you have reached, rgbrock1, is temporarily unavailable as all parties are currently frozen.

Is it Spring yet?

Capetonian
3rd Feb 2015, 12:17
SA Cabernet : Are we talking South Africa, in which case I probably can help, or South Australia, in which case I probably can't!

Pinky the pilot
4th Feb 2015, 00:30
South African cabernet. Unfortunately cannot remember brand name!:{ Most annoying.

Mix it with a bottle of Coke and it would be somewhat palatable?

Blasphemy! :eek: Stone him!:D

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Feb 2015, 06:17
Stone him!

Far out, man...!:}

Capetonian
4th Feb 2015, 07:55
Any clues on the name, part of a word? Label design? Price?

Pinky the pilot
5th Feb 2015, 00:55
Sorry Capetonian. Too long ago now but I'm headed back to Japan again later this year and I will ask at the convenience store where I used to buy the stuff.

The same bloke still runs it and he may remember.