View Full Version : JetBlue Flight 94 MCO-HPN Near miss 1/25/15

letsjet
30th Jan 2015, 03:17
Investigators Exclusive: Close call as planes nearly collide over Westchester County Airport | 7online.com (http://7online.com/496036/)

Anyone heard about this?

Seems pretty serious.

Capn Bloggs
30th Jan 2015, 03:30
Airspace type?

Hotel Tango
30th Jan 2015, 08:54
Includes all the sensationalist claptrap straight from the Daily Mail School of Reporting!

kms901
30th Jan 2015, 09:28
I love the use of stock footage in the report. The light aircraft miraculously changed from low to high wing between shots.

MichaelKPIT
30th Jan 2015, 19:42
They "were almost parallel to the sky and ground." Must have been terrifying! :ugh:

20driver
30th Jan 2015, 21:07
It has been a while since I have flown in that area but it used to be Class D airspace with the tower open something like 0600 to 2200. It is not part of the Class Bravo that wraps JFK, LGA and EWR and TEB
The airport has gotten a lot busier in the last decade and you have a mix of Corporate, Scheduled and GA in the area and on the field. You get a lot of GA traffic skirting around the NY Bravo going over or near HPN. The article is crap but I suspect there is a lot of maneuvering done on a regular basis to avoid conflicts.
NYC controllers will usually give you flight following and shortcuts which is well worth doing given the amount of traffic in the area. (BTW - NY controllers are on the whole very friendly and helpful to GA. Just do what they say and shortcuts materialize. No excuse not to use them)

SConnick
31st Jan 2015, 17:32
HPN is class D, and under the 70/30 NYC Class B shelf, but apparently this happened on approach. Judging from the ATC audio (they were still talking to NY APP - 120.8 - when it happened), most likely they were somewhere along Connecticut's southern shoreline.

What was written as though it happened at the airport probably happened 8 miles away.:bored:

letsjet
3rd Feb 2015, 08:37
Critiquing the article aside, is there a place to get the specifics of this? For a commercial airliner to have to make a maneuver like that seems pretty serious.

I'd like to learn more. I can't find anything on the FAA site and I don't think NTSB would be looking into it.