PDA

View Full Version : XV 179 - 10 Years Ago

Pavehawk69
29th Jan 2015, 21:36
10 years ago on the 30 January 2005 at 1330Z the crew and passenger of the Hercules C130K, callsign Hilton 22 (XV179) were flying north-west from Baghdad International Airport. They were en-route to Balad when the aircraft received sustained gunfire from an insurgent team over whom they had unwittingly flown. The aircraft suffered a catastrophic failure following this assault when an explosion caused twenty three feet of the starboard wing to detach, outboard of number 4 engine.

The aircraft crashed killing all ten men on board;

Sqn Ldr Pat “Paddy” Marshall,
Flt Lt David “Steady” Stead,
Flt Lt Andy “Smudge” Smith,
Flt Lt Paul “Pards” Pardoel,
MEng Gary “Gary Nic” Nicholson,
Flt Sgt Mark “Gibbo” Gibson,
Chf Tech Ritchie “Delia” Brown,
Sgt Bob “Logical Bob” O’Connor,
Cpl David Williams,
L/Cpl “Jonah” Jones.

RIP . Gone but never forgotten

propulike
30th Jan 2015, 10:28
Ten years. The station may have closed, the sqn's might have moved, but their memory remains.

Rest in peace boys.

lightbluefootprint
30th Jan 2015, 10:42
Rest in Peace all those lost with XV179, I was privileged to know Steady as an Air Cadet in Wharfedale.

LoeyDaFrog
30th Jan 2015, 11:54
I can only repeat what many others, more eloquent than I, have said; may they rest in peace. I had the honour and pleasure of serving with them in the early noughties, a fine bunch who gave me some fond memories of the Hercules.

Alison Conway
30th Jan 2015, 12:13
Hilton 22, how can it possibly be 10 years since I said my last goodbye to Gary, together with most of the Albert fleet? Together with many others, I shall hoist a cold one (or many) in remembrance tonight. Go careful, boys, you are not forgotten.

TTB

Brian W May
30th Jan 2015, 12:45
Cheers lads, think about you everytime I use my 47 Sqn crystal goblet.

RIP

Nomorefreetime
30th Jan 2015, 14:19
Nice touch today at 13:30:D:D:D

ksimboy
30th Jan 2015, 16:18
Was a really nice fly past. Dusty eyes time

higthepig
30th Jan 2015, 17:17
RIP Paddy & guys, raising a toast tonight to you all. Agree with previous comments, seems like yesterday, not 10 years ago.

CoffmanStarter
30th Jan 2015, 17:42
RAF Benevolent Fund tribute ...

Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund - The words no Commander wants to hear (http://www.rafbf.org/76-5621/the-words-no-commander-wants-to-hear-.html)

Coff.

Lima Juliet
30th Jan 2015, 18:20
I can remember chatting with Paddy at High Wycombe just a couple of days before - "keep your head down mate", I said. Then he was gone; another guy I went through Officer Training with.

A tragic event for so very many - RIP guys.

LJ

roofrat
30th Jan 2015, 18:31
Spent a year at school with Paddy when we were nine/ten. Even then we had many long conversations planning our futures. He was always going light blue, and already had impressive knowledge of that service, I chose the darker shade. Our paths never crossed again but I have my memories. R.I.P Paddy and all on XV 179.

higthepig
30th Jan 2015, 18:52
another guy I went through Officer Training with.

You and me both, 125IOT, RIP Paddy.

OmegaV6
30th Jan 2015, 18:56
RIP ... we'll never forget your sacrifice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YVdeAsU_W8

Wander00
30th Jan 2015, 18:57
Though never a Hercules man, can I bang the same drum as Coff for the RAF Benevolent Fund. After the 1991 Canberra T4 accident at Wyton, The RAFBF were brilliant, and the support from Bob Barcilon, the Director, Welfare, absolutely outstanding. Thank you

RIP the crew of XV179, and peace to their families.

Blue Bottle
30th Jan 2015, 19:01
Nice touch today, great crew will always remember them

Flypast honour for Hercules victims, 10 years on (From Swindon Advertiser) (http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11762729.Flypast_honour_for_Hercules_victims__10_years_on/)

smujsmith
30th Jan 2015, 19:09
We saw the J going about its business today in commemoration of some fondly remembered friends I had the privilege to serve, and share tasking with. Our thoughts should be with their surviving families at this time, and hope that as the years go by the pain of their loss eases. RIP lads, we will remember you.

Smudge

fergineer
1st Feb 2015, 03:17
Great memories of Gary and Gibbo will never be forgotten.

bakseetblatherer
1st Feb 2015, 05:01
RIP Steady and the guys, thoughts with those you left behind.

JAJM
1st Feb 2015, 05:55
RIP gentlemen. Per ardua ad astra.

Hatchet 130
2nd Feb 2015, 18:13
I had the pleasure of flying with most of the crew of Hilton 22 over the years and also had the honour to be part of the RIAT flypast that summer albeit flying a "J", I was number 4 nearest the crowd. I thought the commentator did a brilliant job and according to friends on the ground there was a lot of "dust in the air".

http://youtu.be/2SK3YV5E1ZQ

RIP Steady and crew.

Gentleman Aviator
5th Feb 2015, 18:27
Another year has gone past so swiftly.
My thoughts, as always, are with the families and friends that were left behind.

I was in the RAF Club today, and found this on one of the walls.
I hope the sentiments help explain to the families why your boys sought to fly.

We miss them as you do, and will never forget them.

High Flight
"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

John Gillespie Magee, Jr. (9 June 1922 – 11 December 1941)

OmegaV6
30th Jan 2016, 17:24
11 long years, never forgotton .. a glass will be raised in a dusty room tonight.

RIP the crew of XV179

smujsmith
30th Jan 2016, 18:38
11 years. It seems a lot less time than that. I managed to visit NMA late last year, and paid my respects to the lads, all named on the wall. Having worked with, or accompanied several of these guys down route, it's good to know that their names live on. A wee dram will be a relevant salute tonight.

Smudge

ExAscoteer
30th Jan 2016, 19:28
It happened long after my time on Albert.

But once an Albert crew always an Albert crew.

RIP guys.

propulike
30th Jan 2016, 19:31
Another anniversary. Another remembrance. You're still not forgotten. RIP boys.

glum
1st Feb 2016, 12:16
Definitely remembered, and the fact we still do after ten years in this fast paced world shows just what we all thought of them.

R4H
1st Feb 2016, 22:17
I had the privilege of flying the flypast for all of the funerals bar one where two funerals clashed. Realised that lots of guys would want to attend on the day and that it would be easier for co-ord on the station and external agencies if everything went through one unit and crew I volunteered us, OEU, to sort it all out as most of us had served on SF with the guys. Support at Lye and from ATC agencies on each day was excellent.

On the downside there was a real case of sloping shoulders in the planning. Gp rules were quite specific as to min heights, Stn Cdr authorisation etc. I did ground recces of most sites and found run-ins that would work while avoiding local hospitals etc while being ideal on positioning. Drew up maps, briefing points and notes on each run-in and submitted them to Wg Cdr Ops for Stn Cdr approval. Wg Cdr didn't do anything with it all but eventually told me that I should auth all sorties simply as a training sortie that happened to be in the area at the time! Basically any crap hitting the proverbial fan would stop with me. I duly authed each trip as being iaw all maps and briefings submitted to Wg Cdr Ops.

Dougie M
2nd Feb 2016, 14:27
R4
I well recall standing in Wanborough churchyard with a company of ex colleagues. (If the devil had cast his net at that moment he would have caught a rich haul). We had just sung Puff the Magic Dragon for Gary Nic when the fly past appeared from behind the church heading north to south. Albert followed the nap of the earth deep into the valley in front of us, causing consternation on the M4, before making a most righteous steep climb up to the base of Golf 1. It was very dusty I recall just then. The champagne and fireworks rounded the day off very well.

bakseetblatherer
3rd Feb 2016, 06:04
On Monday, just a day or two after the 11 years, I was having post Rugby Sevens lunch at the Spruce Goose Cafe. This happens to be right next to the RNZAF unit at Wellington airport and a dark grey stubby fat albert arrived in a trail of dark exhaust! Rare enough to see military a/c in NZ, the first Herc I'd seen outside of airshow for years.

RIP Guys

propulike
30th Jan 2017, 14:31
RIP boys. Raising a glass to you all once more.

OmegaV6
30th Jan 2017, 18:05
"We Shall Remember Them" ... always

A wee glass in a dusty room later .....

RIP Guys

airsound
30th Jan 2017, 18:17
Despite being an ex-truckie, and despite having sat through most of the Coroner's Inquest at Trowbridge, I managed to miss this thread when it came round a year ago.

So I apologise for this late response to Hatchet 130's I thought the commentator did a brilliant job and according to friends on the ground there was a lot of "dust in the air".

http://youtu.be/2SK3YV5E1ZQThere was indeed a lot of dust, Hatchet. See, I was that commentator (and thanks for very kind words) - but it was an enormous privilege to do that for "our boys", as Lyneham staish referred to them.

And the dust got to me. In fact, I was just managing to hold it together during the long silence after the formation had lost its missing man and departed. But then I caught sight of a woman I knew, walking away from the fence, in absolute floods of sobbing, wracking, tears. Rather unprofessionally, I lost it, utterly.

Fortunately, my fellow commentator was able to take over for the next aeroplane, which, if I remember rightly, was a B1.

I'll never forget that day. And, of course, our boys remain firmly engraved on my memory.

I'm glad to say that 'Steady's' Mum and Dad are still going strong, and have posted here.

airsound

OmegaV6
30th Jan 2017, 18:48
Just found this on the local newspaper site.....

Daughter of RAF Hercules crash victim to give back to fund (From Wiltshire Times) (http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15058135.Daughter_of_RAF_Hercules_crash_victim_to_give_back_ to_fund)

Seems Richie's daughter takes after her Dad, "a kind, generous, thoughtful individual" ..... well done lass :ok:

Wander00
30th Jan 2017, 19:43
Well done her - pretty special that

GolfSierra
30th Jan 2018, 09:30
I was a Cadet with Andy. Tonight at my ATC Squadron I'll be telling the tragic story of Hilton22. Will probably be a dusty room, particularly when we listen to airsound's commentary.

OKOC
30th Jan 2018, 19:21
10 years ago on the 30 January 2005 at 1330Z the crew and passenger of the Hercules C130K, callsign Hilton 22 (XV179) were flying north-west from Baghdad International Airport. They were en-route to Balad when the aircraft received sustained gunfire from an insurgent team over whom they had unwittingly flown. The aircraft suffered a catastrophic failure following this assault when an explosion caused twenty three feet of the starboard wing to detach, outboard of number 4 engine.

The aircraft crashed killing all ten men on board;

Sqn Ldr Pat “Paddy” Marshall,
Flt Lt David “Steady” Stead,
Flt Lt Andy “Smudge” Smith,
Flt Lt Paul “Pards” Pardoel,
MEng Gary “Gary Nic” Nicholson,
Flt Sgt Mark “Gibbo” Gibson,
Chf Tech Ritchie “Delia” Brown,
Sgt Bob “Logical Bob” O’Connor,
Cpl David Williams,
L/Cpl “Jonah” Jones.

RIP . Gone but never forgotten

I was on almost my last Herc trip after 35 years service and I had the pleasure of being the Nav with Smudge and Captain Ken Mac C doing a flat bed rotation from Monte Pleasante to Lyneham. We routed back through Canoas in Brasil and I introduced Smudge to a bit of down-route relaxation. I have never forgotton that evening. I still cannot believe that he is no longer with us. Smudge was a lovely young bloke and I enjoyed every minute of his company and sitting behind him in the cockpit with lovely Ken McC guiding us back to Lyneham (in every way) will live in my memory for ever. I was leaving the RAF less than 6 months later but I bought a brand new No 1 (with medals) which I wore to Smudge's funeral. I have never worn it since but every time I look at it in my wardrobe I remember our wonderful trip to the South Atlantic. RIP young chap- you had great hands.

Alison Conway
30th Jan 2018, 19:54
Yet again, I find I cannot believe the anniversary has come round so quickly. I still feel that I had unfinished business with Gary. He and his crew landed at Akrotiri to slip on rotation from the desert as we were about to launch for Brize. ATC asked if we would hold and take them home. Of course we would. Out of the gloom (it was dusk) came the hulking figure of Gary Nic "******* hell, it's you " he said. Yes, said I who had trained him on 47, now get down the back as we want to fire this thing up. Once established in the cruise I went back to say "Hi" and he was fast asleep. It seemed unkind to wake him, and he deplaned before I had chance for a chat. There is a moral in here, but the dusty atmosphere in my study has made it impossible to type it. So, I'll just lift this cold beer and toast "Absent Friends". Damn, the dust is getting worse. NOT forgotten.

isaneng
30th Jan 2018, 20:26
No.
Not forgotten.

'Lest we forget' applies to both young and old and these guys are always young in mind.

A couple of them were also daft and ugly, but I guess you had to be there to smile at that.

RIP gents, trust me, this is not a cheap malt.

TheChitterneFlyer
30th Jan 2018, 21:30
Not forgotten.

propulike
30th Jan 2018, 22:23
Another year passed. Another glass to raise. Memories still as strong as they were when the news arrived. Blue skies boys.

OmegaV6
30th Jan 2018, 22:30
Will never be forgotten by some, and as long as we repost this, (and other similar threads), at the relevant times, with any luck, the younger generations will always be reminded of how they, and others, made the ultimate sacrifice.

RIP Gentleman.

Top Bunk Tester
31st Jan 2018, 02:37
It seems strangely fitting that I shall be airborne this evening enroute LAX-LHR, still 30 1937L here. I shall raise a glass at TOC, to all ten brave souls of whom, I am proud to say, the majority were colleagues at Lyneham. :D

November4
31st Jan 2018, 12:11
Called into Lyneham yesterday to visit the memorial garden and REME Museum. The memorial had already been visited - they are not forgotten.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2akmbzl.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/vo8oz6.jpg

Tashengurt
31st Jan 2018, 18:23
Dave Williams was a great guy with a wickedly dry sense of humour and a ridiculous giggle. (If that's not an impossible combination)
My memories of Squipper training with him are amongst my fondest.
May they all rest in peace and long be remembered.

higthepig
31st Jan 2018, 19:00
Will never forget, RIP Paddy and fellows.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

TheChitterneFlyer
31st Jan 2018, 20:55
To my dear friend Gary Nicholson and the rest of the crew... not forgotten.

propulike
29th Jan 2019, 23:17
Longer than 10 years ago now, but that doesn't mean the memories have faded. God bless, boys.

isaneng
30th Jan 2019, 05:36
Absent friends, a glass to be raised, a smile at old memories.

GolfSierra
30th Jan 2019, 11:01
This anniversary comes round frighteningly quickly.

RIP Smudge

Dougie M
30th Jan 2019, 11:12
Still remember singing "Puff, the magic dragon" for Gary Nic. RIP chaps.

Just This Once...
30th Jan 2019, 11:19
Indeed, Dougie - and it all got very dusty and rather quieter when we hit the verse:

A dragon lives forever but not so little boys
Painted wings and giant rings make way for other toys
One grey night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more
And puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar

You gripped my shoulder on the way out Dougie, which was reassuring as I felt rather wobbly by that point.

RIP guys - never forgotten.

propulike
29th Jan 2020, 23:48
15 years now since they were shot down, and I remember the day as though it were this morning. God bless.

OmegaV6
29th Jan 2021, 22:19
16 years now, and due to Covid-19 I will be unable to do my little "drive around" the local churchyards to pay my respects, however, you will never be forgotten and a glass will be raised.

RIP guys ... always in my heart and memories.

propulike
29th Jan 2021, 23:29
The anniversary again. This one is a little different. This will be the last time I post here in remembrance of those on board XV179, callsign Hilton 22. Over the years I know the family of those irreplaceably lost have taken comfort from knowing that when we said "They will never be forgotten", we meant it, and this was the place for them to come and see. As time progresses though, other ways of remembering them have taken over and resurrecting this post every 12 months risks becoming a gesture meaning less and less to the great members of this forum who increasingly never knew them. It does not mean you are forgotten boys, but for the last time here from me I raise a glass to your memories and wish you Blue Skies and Soft Landings. God Bless you all. You will never be forgotten.

Dougie M
30th Jan 2021, 06:00
Still remembered as though it happened yesterday. RIP guys

Alison Conway
30th Jan 2021, 23:01
Another year, I still remember the shock. Blue Skies, boys. You are not forgotten. Per Ardua.

airsound
31st Jan 2021, 18:02
Royal International Air Tattoo, Fairford, July 2005.

airsound

OmegaV6
30th Jan 2022, 13:57
Never Forget.... A glass will be raised in memory of some great aviators

RIP guys ... always in my heart and memories.

fergineer
30th Jan 2022, 22:45
And in mine too Omega

Alison Conway
30th Jan 2022, 22:59
Omega, Fergie and all of us who flew Albert will never forget them. A glass has been lifted in their memory and as usual it became every dusty suddenly. Per Ardua, boys.

Alison Conway
29th Jan 2023, 21:19
Yet another year, I still remember the shock. Blue Skies, boys. You are not forgotten. Per Ardua.

SilsoeSid
29th Jan 2023, 23:34
Royal International Air Tattoo, Fairford, July 2005.

airsound
Very moving words, music and flypast.
RiP

fergineer
30th Jan 2023, 01:51
The dust in here always gets high when I watch that tribute.
RIP guys never forgotten

212man
30th Jan 2023, 13:13
The dust in here always gets high when I watch that tribute.
RIP guys never forgotten
It was clearly a struggle for the commentator to maintain composure, for understandable reasons

Alison Conway
29th Jan 2024, 21:05
Yet another year, my diary reminds me. I am not embarrassed to shed a tear. They were good friends, and will not be forgotten. Cold ones will be hoisted, both here and in their crewroom. Per Ardua, boys, until we meet again.

The Unknown Stuntman
29th Jan 2024, 22:18
Alison Conway - I too am not embarrassed to shed a tear. My village church has a 'thing' where for a small donation to the 'leccy, people can light the spire in memory of loved ones etc. Every year since we moved in, the week that has 30 Jan in it has always been in tribute to Steady and the rest of the crew of 179.

isaneng
30th Jan 2024, 16:19
🥃
Blue skies my friends.

higthepig
30th Jan 2024, 18:08
RIP and blue skies, never forgotten and will raise a 🥃tonight.

OmegaV6
30th Jan 2024, 20:22
The years pass but the memories never fade. Glass raised.

Lonewolf_50
31st Jan 2024, 01:12
Very Moving, it's getting misty here in Texas.
*Hand salute*