PDA

View Full Version : How long to complete PPL/CPL?....

niss200sx
29th Jan 2015, 01:46
I am wondering if anyone could provide me with some advice on how many months it would likely take to complete a PPL with an average of 2-3 days available each week to commit to training?

From there, how much longer would one be looking at to get the CPL completed?

Thanks for your help!

pistnbroke_again
29th Jan 2015, 03:42
2 months at most depending on weather, money, skill and aircraft availability

Caedus
29th Jan 2015, 03:53
2 months at most depending on weather, money, skill and aircraft availability

Say 2 days a week, 1 hour a day = 2 hours a week, you'll need 20 weeks to reach the minimum 40 hours for a PPL?

I've been doing my learning on the same schedule and have taken a year to get to 3 flights from PPL checkride (granted some weeks were cancelled/non-flying due Wx/Mx, sitting exams or waiting to get papers from CASA)

drpixie
29th Jan 2015, 03:55
Going to depend greatly on weather, availability (you, instructor, aircraft - all at the same time), proficiency with exams, and how quickly you can spend the money.

But as a guide, a full-time CPL typically takes a little over 1 year - includes PPL, CPL, CIR (total about 200 hrs).

Just a PPL when flying regularly and you're ok at exams - I'd guess 1-2 months would be doable, perhaps 2-3 realistic. The basic "theory" study will take significant time (couple of weeks, maybe) and must be included. A typical one-flight-per-week PPL takes about a year!

(If you can fly 2-3 days a week, flying progress will be good ... but 2-3 days can become 0-1 days if the weather gods are unfavourable.)

Things that will cause extra delays: CASA processing (they're snowed under issuing Part 61s at the moment, everything seems to take longer); medical (issued by CASA); acquiring books, charts, etc. Some of those can fit around the flying, but be aware of time required.

False economy
29th Jan 2015, 03:56
I would say the minimum would be 10 weeks as mentioned, but average for part time is double that.

pistnbroke_again
29th Jan 2015, 06:37
Sorry, read it as you already had your PPL

AbsoluteFokker
29th Jan 2015, 06:37
Many moons ago, I did my basic training two days each weekend (one flight each day) with quite a reasonable pre and post-flight brief each day.

Then more my navigation flights, once a week until completion of PPL.

All up about 4 months of actual time but there was a break of 4 weeks in the middle due to an overseas holiday, so more like 3 months.

Perhaps a bit more to do PPL if you do a CSU/Retract at the same time.

Depending upon where you live in Australia (I am in Perth) I highly recommend doing this over autumn/winter/spring. The summer thermals and temperatures aren't much fun. Winter flying is just gorgeous.

For hour building during CPL phase, get your mates signed up for a big cross-country adventure and they can cost share with you.

glenb
29th Jan 2015, 07:22
An RPL will consist of approximately 30 flying lessons, The PPL component will consist of an additional 12 lessons. Could be done in less, but lets work on realistic figures. For the first half a dozen lessons restrict it to only one lesson a day due to the amount of new material being presented to you.

Therefore work on about 6 days for the first 6 lessons, and at least another 12 days based on two lessons a day for the remaining 24 lessons. That knocks off the RPL or darn close to it.

The PPL lessons can really only be done with one a day. Therefore another 12 days, for a total of 30 days at the airport flying.

If you aim for 3 lessons a week it will become 2, due weather and other issues. My estimate would be 15 weeks.

You've also got to allow for the theory exams which would require at least 120 hours of additional study, assuming you self study.

To avoid any delays, download a form 1162 from the CASA website and get the ARN application underway. The ARN is your licence number and will require a 2 week turnaround. Once you receive it get straight on to your medical and get that booked. That can often take many weeks to get processed. Without a medical or ARN you wont be able to do any flight tests.

If you get it done in less than those timeframes I would be very surprised but wish you all the best.

5-in-50
29th Jan 2015, 08:47
In 2009 I did exactly what you're proposing. 2-3 flights per week, fit in around 30 hours of work per week. Study was on the train to and from work. Slowed down to one navigation flight per week for that phase.

I gained my GFPT (now RPL) in 4 months, PPL by 9 months, CPL by 18 months and Instructor rating by 2 years. So zero to CPL with FIR in 24 months.

The worst part were the CASA exams. Self studied the 7 CPL exams and passed in 6 months. It was damn tough juggling that and near full time work, but I had my wife's support and a ****load of determination :)

Good luck.

Diesel Pilot
30th Jan 2015, 04:03
niss200sx,

There are many factors which can effect how long it takes to complete a PPL, CPL etc but the main three are: ability, availability and money.

It's rare that anyone completes their license in the bare minimum amount of hours, so don't set yourself up for potential disappointment by basing all your calculations on the minimums. You'll learn in aviation there can be many setbacks and frustrations, the key is to keep your eye on the long game and enjoy the ride :)

For a realistic estimate I think 5-in-50 is pretty close to the mark.

I managed to complete my PPL, CPL, NVFR & FIR in a little under 3.5 years, mostly training part-time around a full time job (45+ hours a week). I did however have several setbacks in terms of availability and money which definitely held me up.

If you asked me for advice it would be to be as prepared as possible before every flight and in general (keep one step ahead with study & paperwork as this is the main cause of holdups in my experience) and to fly as often as you practically can. I cost myself around 10-15 hours more when I was flying very infrequently but that's life.

Enjoy the good flights and find a positive in every bad flight you have and you'll get the most our of your training :ok:

Good luck!

CoodaShooda
30th Jan 2015, 04:55
There are many factors which can effect how long it takes to complete a PPL, CPL etc but the main three are: ability, availability and money.

Yup.

Restricted PPL.... Dec 1976
PPL....................May 2015 (with luck) :E