PDA

View Full Version : Help again. STAR RWY 03 CDO (RNAV) IMBOM5K

Driver 170
28th Jan 2015, 19:30
I'm look for some tips and techniques on how to manage a CDO at LPPT arrival STAR.

Once i select RWY 03 and the IMBOM5K STAR from the FMS DB. Is there anything i should do on my part, for this type of approach at the start of the CDO or is it basically all managed from the FMS in VNAV and LNAV? I'm using the 737 NGX and always looking at new ways to improve myself on this piece of kit.

I appreciate any help from pilots or NGX users, thanks alot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68twrxu0yboeit4/Photo%2028-01-2015%2020%2026%2016.png?dl=0

enicalyth
2nd Feb 2015, 12:26
You cannot really do it because you are not RNAV equipped and its FSX but heigh-ho it's a sim so I don't care. I would advise you try the B737-700 because its Class "C" and not Class "D". PT401 and PT404 are exactly 10km apart so 220ktas is 113 metres/sec at 15 degrees of bank. I would rather that you were at 160 kias at this stage to avoid mess-ups.

May I suggest PT405 13000', ODLIX 6000', PT401 5000', PF404 3400' and FAP 3000' which conforms to the published limits AND an approximate slope of 2.5 degrees.

Since you are simming it prepare for ILS03 and "cheat" using the "Aircraft" tab with "Visual Flight Path" selected if it is going white side up.

Forget RNAV - you would need Rockwell Collins/Honeywell/Thales GBAS and FSX has none of that and CDO needs that stuff. But the principles are there.
Choose your approach speed wisely, I won't warn you twice about speed.

You'll be fine.

Driver 170
2nd Feb 2015, 16:52
Hi, sorry i forgot i'm using the PMDG 737 NGX and its RNAV equipped

enicalyth
2nd Feb 2015, 20:27
I apologise for using RNAV, RNP and ANP loosely.

But... and it is a very big but... PMDG is not RNAV equipped. It only pretends to be. It gives a pleasing rendition on a PC but the gulf between it and reality is.... well unreal.

Try this "Turing" test... turn the Boeing off and on again and guess what, it comes to life and sorts things out; do that to the PC and at best it boots up. At worst you get a blue screen. Which is real and which is illusion? The PMDG is all illusion.

However if you fly the profile I suggested you will achieve a pleasing result, especially if you arrive at FAP configured and stable. Why not aim for that? Load the approach of your choice and "hand fly it" but don't imagine there is a suite of interactive electronics behind the scenes doing a "super ILS" for you. There isn't.

No I don't fly anymore. Yes I do know the B737 tolerably well, my last job but one was with Boeing. Now I work part-time on sat nav and GBAS as it happens so my slapdash terminology is unforgiveable. Old age I fear.

Good Luck!