PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - Basing what did you get?

Boeing1411
28th Jan 2015, 19:09
Hi Guys,

Just wondering from any of you current or Past Ryanair Pilots, what did you put down as your choices of base and what bases did you actually get?

Also if you didn't get any of your choices how long did it take you to get to one of your preferred bases or at least a nearby base?

One final thing.. What would everyone say is the most likely base to be able to get in the UK?

Callsign Kilo
28th Jan 2015, 20:54
Some people get what they request but most don't. The command upgrade will generally see you moved away from your preferential base (if you are in it). This would especially apply to those in the UK & Ireland. It's not a universal policy. If you are in a less popular base you may get to stay. Think Greece, Italy etc

Some can be transferred in a matter of months; some may never. Invariably the people who suspect this will be the case move on. The latest rumour is that the company doesn't want anyone at a base not of their choosing for greater than 24 months. It's only a rumour and as there is no seniority or transfer list there is no way of proving this as policy.

As for a UK base, you are unlikely to get one straight off the bat unless you are joining as DEC I suspect. Then again, who knows? You roll the dice, you take the chances. The Ryanair way when it comes to basing. I do however get the impression that particular individuals are trying to make the base transfer system a little more transparent.

If you are looking to join but need specific bases in order for it to work then id seriously reconsider your options I'm afraid

Boeing1411
28th Jan 2015, 21:51
Thanks for all that!

Yeah im not too worried if I'm based abroad at first my partner will be moving with me if i do! However i would like to be back at a home base within a year or so if possible

thanks! :)

Callsign Kilo
29th Jan 2015, 08:22
Joining as an FO, I'd say you have a good chance

Mr Boombastick
29th Jan 2015, 12:51
Based down in the Canaries initially - I requested it, was more appealing than :mad:, got a tan and based back at home after a year.

They seem to be making a real effort to base people where they want to be.

Boeing1411
29th Jan 2015, 15:24
Thats something pleasing to hear!

I will request 3 UK bases near to home which will be EMA, BHX and MAN and see what happens!

But really glad to hear they are starting to make an effort!

Push to talk
1st Feb 2015, 12:32
They have to make the effort because they are losing too many pilots!

As soon as they have enough people again or people cant go anywhere else you might well see it change again as they don't have to be nice anymore. And when they don't have to, they sure wont.

This is of course my opinion.

Shooting_Star
5th Feb 2015, 05:24
Small base in spain... Asking for a transfer for almost 3 years to bigger bases.
Resigned told them I want another base. Spoke with the big guy twice, only bull**** he was telling. They couldnt care less on the phone when I resigned.
Few months from upgrade! All of us are so easily replaced...

McNulty
5th Feb 2015, 08:32
I never got based in my home base (huge base) in 6 years, both as an FO and as a captain. Ryanair's basing policy has been nothing short of a constant source of misery over the years for me, luckily im leaving.

However, as mentioned above, due to the current shortage of pilots in the company, they do seem to be making much more of an effort in the last 6 months or so and many people have gotten their preferred base.

McNulty
5th Feb 2015, 08:35
P.S

I should mention that I agree with the above in saying that they have only been giving people their bases because they have been forced to try to find a way to keep people happy due to the huge exodus of pilots. If and when they solve the crisis you can set your watch to the time when they start dicking people around with bases again as a general policy.

Abbey42
6th Feb 2015, 08:48
I requested all UK bases and ended up in the Algarve. Really enjoyed it and could get home easily with 2 flights a day and also via DUB if i was desperate.

After a year I was moved to my preferred UK base (possibly lucky, due to downsizing the base). I have also heard that they're trying pretty hard nowadays to get guys where thay want to be.

Wherever you end up, if you can make it work for a year or two (don't forget the free positioning between your base and home) then personally I'd highly recommend it - been here 5 years now and happy with my lot!

charliegolf
6th Feb 2015, 16:03
If and when they solve the crisis you can set your watch to the time when they start dicking people around with bases again as a general policy.

Just interested... what might the benefit to the company to dick people around as a matter of policy?

Bravo Zulu
6th Feb 2015, 17:04
Because they can! They have the power and like to use it! They don't care if you are away from your life/family for years! It's just a regime and they hold the strings!

Greenlights
6th Feb 2015, 20:43
Just interested... what might the benefit to the company to dick people around as a matter of policy?

because people don't have balls to protest against it.
so they prefer to leave instead until they notice it can be the same in others airlines.

Push to talk
10th Feb 2015, 21:33
@charliegolf,

There are several reasons. But for one; if you want people to do what you want them to do and accept things they normally might not, is when you have something they want. In this case (the hope for) a base they (so badly) want. You lead this person a string and say he might get it in time when he or she will do what you want and look what you can achieve and make this person do or accept. This way you keep better control over the person!

Ofcourse this is just my opinion.

aviaticus
11th Mar 2015, 23:51
Hi guys,

I decided to quit RYR as my family and I were not satisfied with the base dedicated to me. I tried to persuede them for the base more convinient to me but only empty promisses and no real reaction,so I quit...:cool:

Callsign Kilo
12th Mar 2015, 00:05
You aren't the first, you won't be the last. Its the never ending story within FR

Aluminium shuffler
12th Mar 2015, 09:30
The base where you'll do line training is rarely where you'll be based afterwards.

The usual practice is to move base shortly after completing line training and stay at the second base until command comes - they use command as the first carrot to keep you in line. Then, even if a space is available at your preferred or existing base, you WILL be transferred somewhere remote, away from family, on reduced pay while having the expense of your family home in one location and digs at your base (they justify the reduced pay and low European scales on the basis of living costs being lower there, ignoring your family costs at home as if all pilots are single). This is done typically for another two years, seemingly in order to keep you in line and subservient to get the base you want. I have not seen personal circumstances such as ill family or young children have any effect on the policy.

There are promises to make basing transfers faster and more transparent. I don't believe a word of it. Basing and leave are two of the biggest reasons for so many hundreds of pilots leaving every year, and while it is a business not a club, and they need to put people where the slots exist, there is a lot of apparently deliberate misallocation of basing.

JW411
12th Mar 2015, 09:50
A friend has just completed the DEC course and he got his first choice of base right away.

Aluminium shuffler
12th Mar 2015, 09:55
Direct entrants might be getting preferential treatment to lure them in, but promotees are still being shafted. I have never seen a situation where the vast majority of FOs are actively avoiding promotion or resigning after passing the command selection process other than RYR. Basing is not the only reason, but it's a big part of it.

trancada
12th Mar 2015, 10:00
Does anyone of you have a list of all Ryanair bases?

Aluminium shuffler
12th Mar 2015, 10:33
It's a long list - over 70 now, if I'm not mistaken.

Callsign Kilo
12th Mar 2015, 11:28
A friend has just completed the DEC course and he got his first choice of base right away.

Nothing new here. All been done before. Initially DEC (rated and non rated) was advertised as 'Exciting opportunities in southern bases (Italy/Greece), Poland and Morocco. This was met with much internal sniggering, however the only people not laughing were those based miles away looking to get home and prospective CUs who all knew the story. Predictably news filtered through of DECs achieving basings at the prime hubs.

There has been evidence of people achieving desirable transfers, however the vast majority in FR are tarnished and see this as nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to an en mass ejection of crew. However the same old behaviours exist. See Aluminium Shuffler's accurate description. There even could be a slight rise in confidence amongst crew managers as they have watched an implosion at Norwegian; a company that lured hundreds of FR crew with promises of better times. Ultimately it's been a soured mess with non materialising commands, poor chance of direct employment and random unpaid leave. I have two former colleagues that regret they ever left FR. Says a lot and it's something that managers are all too happy to share with the potentially restless. A number of FR to NAS escapees have now returned and are sitting their respective OCCs. An effective PR stunt in 'We told you so' rather than a blanket policy of take them all back. That'll never happen.

Aluminium shuffler
13th Mar 2015, 08:54
I heard from the DFO that the number returning was very small, 12 if I recall correctly. My opinion is that they wanted to refuse them all to continue the "resign and it's forever" threat, but have just enough back to encourage all the defectors to NAS to apply to come back because they could then boast about how lucky we are to be at RYR and how bad it is everywhere else - if they left the usual flat rejection of all returnees, less would apply and so they couldn't play that propaganda card. Just a cynical guess on my part.

The DFO also stated that the over 400 pilots (450ish, IIRC - same speech several months ago) was well within budget and below expectation. The interesting thing was the very quick and deliberate insertion of "Ryanair": "only 400(+) RYANAIR pilots resigned in the last year". So, how many from Brookfield and Storm, given that most captains are RYR and almost all FOs contractors, with a much higher resignation rate? How many gone from the line, regardless of their technical employer?

That's why new applicants are having a better chance of a decent base, I suspect.

SID PLATE
13th Mar 2015, 10:18
trancada

Does anyone of you have a list of all Ryanair bases?

Bom Dia,
Use your initiative.
Route map on Ryanair.com
Bases highlighted in red.

EdnaClouds
13th Mar 2015, 11:34
After 5 permanent bases, ending up with base of choice after 4 years, command ready I quit.
I'd had enough of the base lottery as a FO, although I agree for FOs it's become a bit better but didn't want that whirlwind journey all over again as a new Capt.

Mr Angry from Purley
16th Mar 2015, 20:24
Such a shame that having recognized being a little nice to your punters can reap rewards that FR don't apply the same to their staff.

RAT 5
17th Mar 2015, 09:11
Punters are seen as a source of income/profit. Staff are seen as a cost/dilution of profit. QED.

Aluminium shuffler
17th Mar 2015, 10:05
SID Plate, initiative is discouraged at RYR. Strongly.

Skyjob
17th Mar 2015, 18:11
Punters are seen as a source of income/profit. Staff are seen as a cost/dilution of profit.

Ryanair is a training airline, pilots in training are also a source of income, the more leave, the more require training generating income again.

MichaelOLearyGenius
7th Apr 2015, 21:20

If you are prepared to take FR t and c's you deserve to be dicked.

McBruce
9th Apr 2015, 09:16
"May the odds be ever in your favor"

2nd preference when I joined, 1st preference came two years later. This was 8 years ago. I no longer fly with them.

JulietSierra6
9th Apr 2015, 11:36
For a bit of balance...first choice base after 6 months. New FO

cp35
18th Apr 2015, 21:43
What happened to the DEC NTR guys they planning to take on?

lisander1
4th Jun 2018, 15:36
Hello guys!
Is there anyone who could answer a couple of questions about ryr bases?
Specifically, I'm wondering whether the company has pilots carrying out technical flights after major maintenance and if this is the case, in what bases do these flights normally take place?

Best of all!

BluSdUp
4th Jun 2018, 21:27
Why do you want to know?

lisander1
4th Jun 2018, 22:34
Because if I ever am given the opportunity, I would love to be part of those crews and understand that sector of aviation better. But in order to get in those cockpits, you likely have to know where (if) it happens in order to choose the right base.

737 Jockey
5th Jun 2018, 12:24
At the end of the day, they have about 90 bases to crew, which must be a logistical nightmare! They do this to save money on putting crew into hotels, like normal airlines. To cover all these bases requires a high degree of flexibility and that is where contract Pilots have played a major part, being flung to all corners of the network, a different base every week sometimes, having to book hotels, hire cars, find places to buy food etc. If you get a permanent contract you would generally remain at your home base because they don’t want the hassle and expense of putting you into hotels and god forbid, roster you legal positioning time! The basing policy (or lack of) has always been opaque, random and a complete mystery to most Pilots. Absolutely ridiculous for a huge and profitable company. IMHO they’re just shooting themselves in the foot, but that seems to be the O’Leary way. Good luck if you’re joining, you’ll need it!

lisander1
5th Jun 2018, 14:26
I see your point and what you suggest with it. On the assessment day though I'll be asked where I'd like to be based. I'm not saying that they will send me where I tell them, I'm saying that I'd like to know what I asked above in order to give an answer to that question that makes sense (to myself and to them).
You seem to know stuff about the company: do you know about their maintenance bases too?

Full_blast
5th Jun 2018, 14:40
If you join as a direct entry then you'll stand way better chances to have the preferred base than people that joined the company even years before you, especially if you are a FO.
Plenty of angry pilots all around the network that have been flying X years for Ryanair and never had the chance to be based where they wanted.
They just implemented a "live chat" for the basing, which is completely useless, as they won't tell you anything, they can't discolose what position you are in the "list" (does that even exist?) nor give an estimate for the base transfer. However at the same time of you asking info about your dream-base there is probably a DEC/DEFO (or even more than one) that is signing a contract (he/she even got to choose what contract!) for your requested base.

Biggest maintenance bases are STN DUB BGY PIK and MAD. Probably new maintenance bases coming in the near future.
Learjets are based at STN BGY and MAD.

lisander1
5th Jun 2018, 18:30
Full Blast, thanks a lot for the answer. This answers - very clearly - where they do maintenance. There's only one part of the original question that I'm still wondering about: are Ryr pilots carrying out those tech flights, or does Ryr need to outsource that service?

737aviator
5th Jun 2018, 19:20
Full Blast, thanks a lot for the answer. This answers - very clearly - where they do maintenance. There's only one part of the original question that I'm still wondering about: are Ryr pilots carrying out those tech flights, or does Ryr need to outsource that service?

KUN & PIK are where most of the test flights currently operate from as this is where the the heavy checks are performed and yes, experienced RYR pilots do them.

Full_blast
5th Jun 2018, 22:29
KUN & PIK are where most of the test flights currently operate from as this is where the the heavy checks are performed and yes, experienced RYR pilots do them.

Sorry, I did forget KUN. Thanks for correcting me.

doniedarko
6th Jun 2018, 06:55
I read the title as ....Ryanair Bashing what did you get.
After reading the thread it looks like the leopards spots are still very much intact ....:}

lisander1
6th Jun 2018, 08:21
Thanks a lot guys, question closed! ;)