PDA

View Full Version : Aviation History and development in PNG ( from German Colonisation to Independence.

GGB123
28th Jan 2015, 12:51
Hi, I am conducting research for an article on the aviation industry in PNG. From the early days of German colonisation, British colonisation and onwards. I am targeting a specific period (war campaigns) and the development of the commercial industry. Any recommendations on Authors, Books, Documentaries will be greatly appreciated .

My particular area of interest (besides what's already mentioned) East New Britain, West New Britain, New Ireland and Buka/Bougainville regions. Not so much the Highlands.

Article relevant for this years Anzac Centenary and associated activities. Cheers

Stanwell
28th Jan 2015, 19:21
GGB123
For a good start, have a look at some of the material produced by PNG aviation historian James Sinclair.

Fris B. Fairing
28th Jan 2015, 21:07
GGB123

Stanwell is right. James Sinclair's three volume work "Balus" is the definitive reference on the subject. He also wrote another volume called "Wings of Gold" which describes the use of aircraft in PNG's gold mining industry.

Rgds

Pinky the pilot
29th Jan 2015, 00:45
Agree with the two above posters. The Balus trilogy would have to be the best references available on the history of PNG aviation.

I'm still after a copy of volume 1 m'self. Picked up vols 2 & 3 for a song a number of years ago.:ok:

GGB123
29th Jan 2015, 06:41
Hi folks, thanks so much for the recommendations. Really appreciate it

I'll see if I can procure the trilogy on eBay...or Amazon.

Thanks again! :):)

DeRated
29th Jan 2015, 07:47
Couple of [Vol 1] copies on eBay at the moment, Pinky.

At the going price you will have no competition from me........:ouch:

Pinky the pilot
29th Jan 2015, 09:11
I won't even bother to look Derated! Last time I found one for sale the asking price was just a bit south of $600.:eek::eek:

Don't really want to know what the asking is now!:ugh:

Still maintain that one day I will find one at a second hand dealer or garage sale for less than the original price. That's how I got volume #2 which was a special edition, signed by the author.:ooh:

Cost me about $65 or so, from memory.

tail wheel
29th Jan 2015, 16:55
That's how I got volume #2 which was a special edition, signed by the author.

The author is now mid 80s and has been unwell recently, but is still willing to autograph his books.

Stanwell
29th Jan 2015, 21:57
Bobby Gibbes also wrote a book, detailing the history of Gibbes Sepik Airways in the 1950s.
Can't remember the title, though.

Cuban Eight
29th Jan 2015, 22:37
Sepik Pilot was the title of one of Bobby Gibbes' books, detailing his airways' beginnings. I have a copy facing me right now. I have an inkling he wrote another on just PNG aviation history too. There were several well known pre- and post-war pioneers of PNG aviation. You'll likely find a few good reads that they've written themselves, just as Bobby Gibbes did.

tail wheel
29th Jan 2015, 23:54
Bobby did not write "Sepik Pilot" - that book was written by Jim Sinclair.

Bobby's only book to my knowledge was his memoires, "You live but once" which was a private and limited printing. I have a signed copy.

For those that knew Bobby, his widow Jeannie passed away at mid night last Saturday night, aged 98 years. They leave two daughters, Julie and Robin.

Whilst not directly aviation related but containing some great PNG yarns, I recently acquired a copy of Keith Buxton's "The Golden Years" which his daughter is selling at $12 per copy, half price. (Keith "Jungle Jim" Buxton was a PNG Liklik Dokta in the 1950s and 1960s, later a PNG inbound tour guide who passed away over a decade ago.) Anyone wanting a copy of Keith's book could PM me for the contact details of his daughter.

Cuban Eight
30th Jan 2015, 03:59
So sorry to hear about the Gibbes' loss.

My dumb mistake, it is in fact written by Jim Sinclair. Apologies.

Captain Nomad
30th Jan 2015, 04:48
'Storm over Kokoda' for an interesting read of PNG air war during WWII from an Australian perspective.

Stanwell
30th Jan 2015, 06:15
Thanks for the correction, Taily. It was a long time ago that I read Sepik Pilot.
I'll PM you re 'The Golden Years'

My condolences to the Gibbes family.