PDA

View Full Version : CFI in the making

Coldbear
28th Jan 2015, 07:01
Hi people,

I would like to get a few views on some matters here:

1) what is the average pre-flight briefing time giving to a student before heading out to the aircraft. Not counting walk-around and checking aircraft documentation, but mere the time the CFI spends with the student on the ground. My experience as a student is anywhere from 1 hour to less than 5 minutes.

2) what are the common theory questions students have? these can be for all certification types. Like getting to grips with the different types of altitudes and different types of North.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Kind Regards,

Martin
An upcomming CFI.

TheOddOne
28th Jan 2015, 07:56
Hi Coldbear,

Firstly, I think we need to understand what you mean by 'CFI'.

In the United States, under FAA rules, it means 'Certified Flight Instructor', a specific qualification with a proper definition.

In the UK, it generally means 'Chief Flying Instructor'. As far as I am aware, we don't currently have a definition of such in the UK, or indeed in EASA. Part of the role traditionally carried out at flying schools by Chief Flying Instructors is now done by the 'Head of Training' at Approved Training Organizations. I don't know if it has ever meant anything in Denmark.

Now, your questions. In England, we have a phrase 'how long is a piece if string'? Meaning, any length you like! As you say, it can be anything from 1 hour to 5 mins, either can be equally appropriate or inappropriate. For instance, if the flight exercise is a repeat of one flown earlier in the day, then 5 mins might be just right, any longer might bore the student!
Many students will ask theory questions at completely random times, as the thought pops in to their heads. If it is relevant at the time and appropriate to answer then, I would give an answer. If, however, they ask 'what is a semi-monocoque fuselage' on short final, I'd say 'we'll discuss that later!' I would then make a note on my pad to make sure that I did in fact answer the question, most important to not give them the impression that their questions don't matter.

Anyhow, it sounds as if you're planning on becoming a flying instructor. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
The Odd One

A and C
28th Jan 2015, 08:56
Having flown with a lot of Danes of late I find that they are a very precise people who tend see the world as black or white and sometimes have difficulty with the shades of grey ( not that one ! ) so "how long is a piece of string" is not an attitude in the national mind set.

I guess this is why Coldbear is asking the question because he is asking for a precise answer, unfortunately there is no precise answer to the question.

Whopity
28th Jan 2015, 19:05
An upcomming CFI. If you mean an FI, then that is what you will be taught and practice on a FI Course. Whether or not you will have time to do things the recommended way once qualified rather depends where you practice your skills and the commercial pressures you find yourself under.

Coldbear
29th Jan 2015, 15:41
Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for answering.

when I wrote CFI I did mean Certified Flight Instructor. I recently moved to the US to do my stand alone FAA certificates.

Looking back at "us" I guess we are very precise for the good and the bad. I for instance find the US more relaxed in the whole setting.

Maybe I am a little ahead of myself here.

Have a good day

Martin

Big Pistons Forever
29th Jan 2015, 18:46
Coldbare

You are thinking about the issue backwards. The time a ground briefing takes is totally dependent on what you need to teach.

All ground lessons follow the same process

You teach
- Must know information, then
- Should know information, then
- Nice to know information

A properly done FI course will teach you how to teach. A big part of that will be what to teach before each lesson. This could be a lot, or nothing at all depending on what the lesson is.

Finally it should be understood that there are 3 types of ground instruction

1) Groundschool, to teach theory
2) Ground instruction, to teach how to do a particular exercise
3) Preflight briefing, mandatory before every flight and includes the Route of Flifgt, Weather and Notams, Airworthiness of the aircraft and pilots and any other safety items