PDA

View Full Version : ferry a C172 to Africa route?

ChickenHouse
27th Jan 2015, 20:23
We were just killing a bit too much Windhoek Lager and for the x-th time discussed the possibility to ferry a standard C172 VFR from Northern Europe to Windhoek. When we had a look at the route we see no trouble within the EU (except for the strange Southern Europe airspaces ... did that ease with SERA?).

But then we came to the everytime discussion points - will a standard 39 gal. fuel tank be sufficient, as it give only about 4h at 95 knots safe, little short of 400 nauticals betweeen fuel stops - are there enough refueling options with Avgas availability and Autofuel STC - which route in Africa: East via Egypt, Sudan, Kenya, TZ, Zambia // or right DCT through Libya, Niger/Tschad, Cameroon, Congo, Angola // or even more West to have more airfields (is that true?) ?

What is your opinion? Yes, I know of the Kimberly glider tow story already, but that polish (?) plane had quite some remarkable fuel capacity, or?

Pls forgive if I am not answering right away, I have to metabolize some brewery results.

cavortingcheetah
27th Jan 2015, 20:49
One sensible example of how to ferry an aircraft from Europe to Africa.

Two RV's, Shipped to South Africa %%sep%% International Aircraft Shipping & Containerization - Neel Avation (http://neelaviation.com/past-projects/two-rvs-shipped-to-south-africa)

Big Pistons Forever
27th Jan 2015, 23:16
I do not think it is practicable to do the route you want with only standard tanks. A ferry tank system allowing at least an 800 nm range with an hours reserve would IMO be the minimum to allow a sensible routing.

ChickenHouse
28th Jan 2015, 08:09
This is what I constantly think, but there were many C172 ferried to all kind of remote places. Can it be they had this much fuel loaded? And 800 nauticals in a C172 in one piece means sitting 8-9 hours in such a small cockpit - reasonable? Sounds as if this would be a case for camping cooker as P2 and catheter ...

Ndegi
29th Jan 2015, 10:22
Check with some of the old timers at ACEA as I believe that they ferried a number of Rheims Rockets from France to Nairobi. They would have route details and ferry tanks size (if they used them).

ChickenHouse
29th Jan 2015, 10:54
Good advice! Do you have names, in case per PN?

Sop_Monkey
29th Jan 2015, 20:53
Good advice on getting ferry tanks fitted.

You may well arrange avgas but it may not be there when you arrive.

ChickenHouse
31st Jan 2015, 10:47
So, went and talked to a few ACEA flyboys and yes, common recommendation is to use additional ferry tanks, go straight as much as possible and fly higher then bullets plus train bladder to 10 hours ;-).

SU-GCM
26th Feb 2015, 22:14
Hi Chickenhouse,
we did flight support for a Ikarus C42 from UK to Cape town and back, It was burning both AVGAS 100LL and MOGAS and it followed the route via Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya

Check : https://www.facebook.com/FlightOfIkarus
https://www.facebook.com/AviationEgypt