PDA

View Full Version : Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl - To Be Charged With Desertion

rgbrock1
27th Jan 2015, 15:32
Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the U.S. Army Private at the time will be charged with desertion for leaving his post and hooking up with the Taliban.

Good. :ok:

superq7
27th Jan 2015, 15:46
Good thing too, from what I've read potus won't be pleased :E

rgbrock1
27th Jan 2015, 15:48
POTUS won't be pleased? He can stuff it where the sun never shines. Having said that, however, I'm sure he won't say a word. Bergdahl isn't quite like "the son I could have had."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Jan 2015, 16:20
Those charges still carry the Death penalty if convicted (given it was a war zone)?

rgbrock1
27th Jan 2015, 16:22
Fox3:

According to Article 85 of the UCMJ, desertion in a war zone does indeed carry the death penalty. Whether or not that happens, I doubt. I'm sure POTUS will see to it that it does NOT happen IF the Army were to decide on that as punishment. (Highly doubtful.)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Jan 2015, 16:28
Providing Aid to the Enemy also carries the Death penalty I believe (Art 104).

Be hard, if convicted of both, to give him anything less than Life, I would have thought.

rgbrock1
27th Jan 2015, 16:34
Fox3:

More than likely that's what he will get: life. Although he is more than deserving of death that won't happen. He will also be stripped of his rank. How he went from being a PFC (Private First Class) to Sgt while in captivity is beyond me. Unless, of course, he went before "the Board" before he walked off and was going to get his stripes anyway. Other than that, I don't get that aspect.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Jan 2015, 16:39
I believe promotion in POW camps began in the Second World War, and in that context sounds reasonable to me.
One has to proceed on the basis of innocent until proven guilty, and so on the assumption of satisfactory performance of duty until repatriated.

If found guilty however, I would assume he would be stripped of all promotions, pensions, backdated salary, etc.

Super VC-10
27th Jan 2015, 18:19
Is treason not an offence in the USA then? :confused:

rgbrock1
27th Jan 2015, 18:28
Super VC-10

Treason in the US Army covers only materials, documents and information given to the enemy. It is not known whether or not Bergdahl did so but I doubt it as he abandoned his post with nothing on his person. Treason is punishable by the UCMJ and can lead to a courts-martial and imprisonment.

westhawk
28th Jan 2015, 07:03
I just saw an article in a veteran newsletter that the US Army is officially denying reports that Bergdahl will be charged with desertion. Huh?

Apparently the decision is to be officially announced as soon as the General in charge decides...

My guess is he will be charged, a General Courts Martial convened, found guilty and sentenced to some time in the great state of Kansas, two slaps on the wrist with a wet noodle and a bad conduct discharge with loss of back pay. He'll be back in Idaho allot sooner than most of his former unit members would prefer. But given the current state of military/political affairs, your guess is as good as mine!

We'll see I suppose...

westhawk

parabellum
28th Jan 2015, 07:12
Just looked at Google/NBC, they are talking a short prison sentence and his five years in Taliban hands to count towards any sentence, dishonourable discharge and loss of up to $300,000.00 back pay.

Bowe Bergdahl Likely to Be Charged With Desertion, Officials Say - NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bowe-bergdahl-likely-be-charged-desertion-officials-say-n294466)

MTOW
28th Jan 2015, 07:24
I just saw an article in a veteran newsletter that the US Army is officially denying reports that Bergdahl will be charged with desertionFox News (US) reported today that the Army is now denying that Berghdahl has been charged with desertion and that they see "no reason for haste", which equals "we'll be doing everything we can to stretch this out for as long as possible".

Certainly until after Obummer is safely on the retired President's list.

Lonewolf_50
28th Jan 2015, 14:00
Why is this taking so long?

rgbrock1
28th Jan 2015, 14:12
westhawk wrote:

I just saw an article in a veteran newsletter that the US Army

Which one, huh? Huh? AUSA? American Legion? Stars and Gripes? (US Army Ranger Association? No, I didn't think so! :})

time in the great state of Kansas

Ah, Holiday Leavenworth. All expenses paid tour as well. :}

rgbrock1
28th Jan 2015, 14:13
parabellum wrote:

dishonourable discharge and loss of up to $300,000.00 back pay.

$300,000???? :eek::eek::eek:

I doubt a lower-ranking Army NCO would make that kind of money in 10 years!

rgbrock1
28th Jan 2015, 14:14
LW50:

Why is this taking so long?

Um, because Obama wants it to?

West Coast
28th Jan 2015, 15:38
The political component would be my guess as to the delay. If this hadn't been a front page news event, this would have been long since adjudicated.

Obama is on trial as well, so to speak. Imagine the optics, he traded a group of nasties for a someone legally determined a deserter.

rgbrock1
28th Jan 2015, 15:41
WC wrote:

The political component would be my guess as to the delay.

Undoubtedly. And if Bergdahl does indeed face desertion charges, via a courts-martial of course, then Mr. Obama is going to look a bigger horse's ass than he already he. (If that's at all possible.)

westhawk
29th Jan 2015, 05:00
Which one, huh? Huh? AUSA? American Legion? Stars and Gripes? (US Army Ranger Association? No, I didn't think so! :})

No need for belligerent sarcasm RGB. Get a hold of yourself man!
I read the story in a newsletter from Military.com if it matters. The story has been picked up by the news agencies now anyway.

How the original story that the Army had decided to charge him got out is a matter of some conjecture but it seems that someone may have leaked some internal correspondence or drawn their own conclusions perhaps? Of COURSE the ARMY would deny something they have not yet officially announced through proper channels!

Take a chill pill RGB! :cool:

westhawk