PDA

View Full Version : Demis Roussos, RIP

sitigeltfel
26th Jan 2015, 12:17
More misery for the Greeks. News reports say that Demis Roussos has died.

airship
26th Jan 2015, 12:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x60jl547n6o

Capetonian
26th Jan 2015, 12:21
You beat me to it, Airship.
A wonderful performer, very sad to lose him at only 68.

7KZGXOvWJHo

Worrals in the wilds
26th Jan 2015, 12:32
Sad. Another legendary performer gone!

Andy_S
26th Jan 2015, 12:32
Itís strange to think that he used to be in a Progressive Rock band.

Weirdly, the recent death of Tangerine Dreamís Edgar Froese had me thinking about 80ís movie soundtracks. For some reason, I had it in my head that TD did the Blade Runner soundtrack, but it was of course Vangelis. Who was a bandmate of Demis Roussos in Aphrodites Child.

RIP

charliegolf
26th Jan 2015, 13:23
AKA 'The Singing Nightshirt', around these parts! RIP.

CG

vctenderness
26th Jan 2015, 13:53
And I thought he would live for ever and ever and ever........:)

Mac the Knife
26th Jan 2015, 15:47
Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack for "Sorcerer", William Friedkin's remake of the French classic "La salaire de la peur" directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot (and starring Yves Montand).

Brilliant soundtrack - I have it on pristine vinyl!

Mac

Sorry about Roussos :{ not a great fan of his, but he was an original and we're damn short of those these days.

:(

dazdaz1
26th Jan 2015, 16:27
I was a fan of Demis, At one time I intended to attend one of his concerts in Corfu. Long story short, did you know, one can't flush toilet paper down the loo. Ones wipes have to be deposited in a bin.

Having said that, how come a No2 can be flushed but not the loo paper?

Carry0nLuggage
26th Jan 2015, 17:55
I think the idea predates modern, fluffy loo paper. Think bullet proof Izal.... *

*Other brands were available

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Jan 2015, 17:59
Alison Steadman recalling the 1977 TV play 'Abigail's Party', where 'For Ever & Ever' was her favorite record.

"Imagine making love to this, Ange. He's nice."

"Yeah, but he's a bit fat isn't he."

"But he doesn't sound it though".

Tankertrashnav
26th Jan 2015, 22:44
She was on PM on Radio 4 talking about it. Apparently Demis Roussos was mystified by people constantly referring to the play, and was heard to ask "What is Abigail's Party?"!

Never saw anything in Roussos, personally, but fancied Alison Steadman like hell.

(Still do, actually ;))

fitliker
27th Jan 2015, 04:29
Not allowing toilet paper into a small septic tank can extend the life of the septic field.
if you ever had to dig up a septic filed in 40c heat ,you would have invented the holding tank like they use in colder climates ,although the guys who drive those trucks must have lost their sense of smell and not all of them wear PPE.

I always wondered how he hit those high notes ,I thought there might have been a small person under the kafkan with a pair of pliers :)

probes
27th Jan 2015, 05:13
the proge-thing was kinda baffling indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KCbqhJt16k

Keyboard - Vangelis, at that!

Spotlight
27th Jan 2015, 05:59
We may see him again Someday Somewhere.

B Fraser
27th Jan 2015, 07:27
Demis has met his demise.

Capetonian
27th Jan 2015, 07:37
We may see him again Someday Somewhere.On an Island in the Sun, on one of those Lovely Sunny Days when My Friend the Wind is just a light cooling breeze.

The Greeks may have stuffed up their economy big time but they certainly produced some popular, versatile and talented multilingual singers.
Nana Mercouri
Viki Leandros

tCORdHnStC8

Worrals in the wilds
27th Jan 2015, 09:24
Having said that, how come a No2 can be flushed but not the loo paper?
No2s break up. If yours don't, you may be eating too much All-Bran :eek:.
'Flushable' wipes are now becoming a problem for sewerage (sorry, 'utilities':suspect:) authorities.
'Flushable' wipes causing blockages in Queensland's sewage systems - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-15/queenslands-flushable-problem-tolietry-products-cause-sewage-woe/5967654)

G-CPTN
27th Jan 2015, 13:22
Drainage utilities in the UK have invented the 'porcupine' which is placed in sewers to catch the 'wipes' that cause problems to the system.

Northumbrian Water unveil porcupine devices to help prevent sewer blockages - Chronicle Live (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumbrian-water-unveil-porcupine-devices-8024574)

TomU
27th Jan 2015, 15:15
Hey folks - you may or may not have like Demis Roussos, but taking over his RIP thread for a discussion of disposal of asswipe paper is extremely disrespectful, don't you think?

hiflymk3
27th Jan 2015, 15:33
^ Quite agree, we should laud our utilities.

Capetonian
27th Jan 2015, 15:44
Some people here seem to have a crappy sense of humour.

airship
27th Jan 2015, 15:47
Something I'd ignored (or perhaps forgotten), was that Demis Roussos had been a passenger aboard a TWA flight hijacked by Hezbollah in 1985 (http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30985906) according to the BBC: On 14 June, 1985, Roussos boarded TWA Flight 847 from Athens to Rome - and found himself at the mercy of Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.

Two hijackers, who had smuggled a pistol and grenades through airport security, held the passengers at gunpoint, demanding the release of 17 members of Hezbollah and the Iraqi Islamic Daawa Party.

The plane was diverted to Beirut, then Algiers, and 23-year-old US Navy Petty Officer Robert Dean Stethem was killed.

Roussos spent five days - including his 39th birthday - in captivity, before being released in Beirut (another 40 or so passengers, mainly from the US, endured a further two weeks on the plane).

Speaking at a press conference after his release, the singer said he had been "treated quite well".

"They gave me a birthday cake and they gave me a guitar, to sing," he said. "They have been very polite and very nice with us."

Over the years, some papers said he had serenaded the hijackers. Others claimed he had pledged allegiance to Hezbollah.

Roussos, who rarely spoke about the incident, admitted he was riled by the exaggerations in an interview with Australia's Daily Telegraph in 2006.

"It is not every day that a pop superstar gets involved with terrorism as a victim, so the press takes advantage of that to say things they think are funny.

''I would like to see the journalist [who first reported the claim] in front of gunpoint like I was. Believe me, if he was there he would be so scared he wouldn't care about writing such stupidities like that."

The experience changed his life, and Roussos spent years promoting peace through music.

"Musicians are like a preacher, a teacher, an actor," he said. "You are the mediator who can transfer the energy of beautiful music to the others.''

PS. Combining a thread about the demise of Demis Roussos with posts about toilet paper is about 'par for the course' here in JetBlast. Our right to this "freedom of expression" most recently reiterated in Paris... :}

dazdaz1
27th Jan 2015, 15:58
TomU... Totally agree with your point #20 but you must remember this is Jet Blast where diversity can be the norm from OPs. Having said that it's obvious that past posts, have given respect to the late gentleman. The Greek toilet systems are still 'in a way' related.

I note your are residing in Thailand could you offer your thoughts as to the sewage system in that country relating to any constraints in the practice of doing a No2

With respect

Daz

TomU
27th Jan 2015, 16:30
Quote: I note your are residing in Thailand could you offer your thoughts as to the sewage system in that country relating to any constraints in the practice of doing a No2
With respect
Daz. Unquote.

I think to do that here would rather contradict my earlier sentiment :)
Or were you trying to lure me into shooting my foot?
See how jetblast gets to you eh!

Back to Demis:
Such nostalgic memories of sitting at Georges on Fig Tree Bay, few glasses of Anglais following a bottle of Afames to settle a huge pork chop that sizzled from the charcoal. Sun going down, fishing boats deploying with lamps lit - and Demis wafting from the juke box about my friend the wind and white sails and such stuff. fair made your neck hairs tingle.
Now I occasionally put one of his CDs on the player, think "What the??" and reject it in favour of Tom Petty or Roxette or Iron Maiden or almost anything else. Same for Nana (Mouskouri, not Plaza). Question of time and place.
Still occasionally play a Mikis Theodorakis though, but that's another story.
You can take the boy out of the Med, but you can't take the Med out of the boy.
Anyway, Demis, thanks for all you gave us in those days.
Tom.