PDA

View Full Version : Air India 787s VT-AND and VT-ANI

Dave Cummings
26th Jan 2015, 06:47
Not sure where the right place for this is so please move it if needed.

However I have a question perhaps someone could answer for me.

VT-ANI has been in a somewhat sorry state in a hanger with multiple rumours that she is scrapped and / or being broken up for spares. (Not sure what the difference is between scrapped and broken up guessing scrapped means the airframe has been destroyed to a point it will never fly on its own again). AIR India have said she would be back in the skies at the extreme latest late November. It's now late January. Surely this software upgrade she is supposedly undergoing isn't running on windows.... is it? (jk).

VT-AND hasn't flown since 1st January. Is she heading the same way as VT-ANI?

With the two recent engine failures within the Air India fleet (notably both number 2 failures) would this backup the theory that both these frames have now at least started to be broken up? As they did with the 777 some years back.

Tu.114
26th Jan 2015, 07:18
Is it not a bit of a long stretch to deduce the imminent scrapping of two airframes from rather unrelated engine shutdowns?

Goat Whisperer
26th Jan 2015, 07:27
and with two failures there's a 1:2 chance they'll be the same engine position. Not significant.

clipstone1
26th Jan 2015, 08:31
with hull values of $120m ish, will take a fair amount of damage to make a B787 financially unrepairable.

Hotel Tango
26th Jan 2015, 09:28
I guess if VT-ANI has been in a "hanger" it's just been hung out to dry :}

MrSnuggles
26th Jan 2015, 10:28
What would the PR implications be if they scrapped two new 787's?

I mean after all they have been through... batteries.... fuel leaks... unhappy customers... (Norwegian Air Shuttle!)

Dave Cummings
26th Jan 2015, 14:21
VT-ANI is pretty much in bits. Latest rumour is her interior has been removed but can't find anything to back that up. She's been in maintenance since April last year and for a new airframe to be in maintenance that long is worrying even ET-AOP wasn't off line for that long and she needed major hull and interior repairs!

itsbrokenagain
28th Jan 2015, 03:12
There is a A320 thats been sitting engineless on jacks for 18 mths in the the hanger at Kolkata... how can an airline be viable with expensive machines like this sitting idle... let alone the Airbus graveyard at Delhi... why arent they flown to the scrap merchants in the deserts of the world and sold...strange.