PDA

View Full Version : Flypast In London Today!

Easy226
4th Jun 2002, 22:27
Hi, did everyone see the flypast today for the jubilee??It was the best i have seen for a long time, especially Concorde at the end!

Would the Chief Pilot of Concorde have flown the plane because if it was my grandad has met him before!!

Mooney
4th Jun 2002, 22:38
I was standing infront of Buckingham Palace and saw Concorde going over. I was recieved to huge cheers and flag waving. Good to see her flying again. It bought a magical end- to a magical day.

Hopefully my photos will be OK of the fly pasts. Another good flypast was the L1011 and Canberra formation.

AtlPax
4th Jun 2002, 22:46
Is there any online video? (For those of us on this side of the pond) :(

McD
4th Jun 2002, 23:32
Here is a link to the BBC online news (.ram file). At the beginning of the news, there is coverage of the Jubilee celebrations, with a short (blurry and small, I'm afraid :( ) clip of the Concorde/Red Arrows flyby.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/tvseq/n24.ram

Better than nothing, perhaps. However, if anyone else has a link to a higher-quality video file, please link it here.

Pan-seding
5th Jun 2002, 00:04
The climb away from the Red Arrows was spectacular . A new move and looked superb

buttonmonkey
5th Jun 2002, 01:52
Fantastic flyby! Hats off to the media who were quoted as saying it was at a an altitude of 15,000ft!!! Just goes to show you can believe everything you hear in the media!

Azure
5th Jun 2002, 06:25
Luckily, I had the day off and was able to watch several hours of the "Party." Man, you Brit's can really put on a show! The parade was a little boring, I admit to dozing off somewhere between the 60's and 90's, woke up for a moment during the 80's only to wonder where they got those horrendous hairdo's, Oh ya, I had one of those!

The flyby was spectacular! The Queen returning to the balcony, twice, heartwarming. The crowd, so jubilant! I'm seriously thinking about making a trip to see "Her" here in Canada when she comes to visit this Fall. I would just like to add my voice to the millions of others that respect her for her years of service to all of the Commonwealth Countries.

Long Live the Queen!

Charley B
5th Jun 2002, 07:27
Lovely to see Concorde with the Red Arrows especially when she soared away leaving them behind .Must admit I had to watch the news a few more times to see it all again!
Does anyone know if Capt Mike Bannister was at the helm??

:) :):)

spitfire747
5th Jun 2002, 08:02
Boeing make great planes, but the sight of concorde flying over Buckingham Palace makes me SO glad to be British !

All the pilots did a great job and lobg live the queen!!

PilotsPal
5th Jun 2002, 10:36
I was fortunate enough to have a perfect private view of the flypast from the comfort of my back garden. Absolutely spectacular.

APG
5th Jun 2002, 14:11
For those that missed it I have uploaded some pics on to my website.

Regards

Paul

Pat Pong
5th Jun 2002, 15:14
Azure kind words indeed - thank you, and how refreshing compared to tossers like 411A who so frequently shoot from the hip.

SaratogaTC
5th Jun 2002, 19:37
And the Red Arrows were still in Blackpool at 14:15 after a display on the IoM for the TT races.

We still lead the world in spectacle. A proud day indeed.

Woodman
5th Jun 2002, 19:38
APG

Thank you.

Anyone know if there was a stills photographer on the BBC's blimp?

Easy226
5th Jun 2002, 21:21
I take it Mike Bannister is the chief pilot then?? The Red Arrows flew over my house at about 3.00 before the flypast, they were going west, but i was confused as to how early it was!!

BLK 33
5th Jun 2002, 21:28
Yeah, BBC film from the blimp was truly great, shame there was only a short amount of it having got the crew up there, but best of all the sight of SSC climbing away from the Hawks - outstanding!

brit bus driver
7th Jun 2002, 12:53
APG

Thanks very much. As I was out of sight of a telly for the day, good to see some decent pics (you should sell them to the MoD, beats the pics on the RAF website!) BTW, TriStar is a KC1, not a C1 (HDU and freight door), probably just a typo.

Thanks again.

KazBird
7th Jun 2002, 14:13
Loads of info about this at www.concordesst.com

and yes Mike Bannister was on the FD

KB

Doctor Cruces
8th Jun 2002, 06:42
Not to pour water on the celebrations, but I thought the flypast was a pretty poor affair for a 50th celebration, especially after what we put up for the 25th.

Doc C