PDA

View Full Version : Number of pilots in Australia?

pilot.si
25th Jan 2015, 22:18
I am in a process of getting a work Visa in Australia (for a non-piloting occupation) and i am wondering what is the situation with pilots Down Under?

Is there a lot of PPL's and CPL's or is there a shortage of it?

I'm asking this because i'd maybe want to finish my CPL (i already hold PPL) and do the thing i LIKE to do a LOT (=to fly), maybe even as a PPL instructor or to do the Avio taxi, etc.
Flying is my thing, i don't have a with to be an airline transport pilot, i'd be satisfied even with something smaller.

Is there any job vacancies in this area of aeronautics?

As i said, i will move down under with completely different occupation, but i'd like to get back to my dreams and i'm wondering if Australia will be able to offer me this kind of chance in my life.

Horatio Leafblower
25th Jan 2015, 23:40
Pilot.Si,

There are roughly 3800-4000 Commercial Pilots Licences active in Australia and about 7500 ATPLs (source: CASA Annual report 2012-13 Appendix A).

I would suggest, from observation, that there is a surplus of qualified pilots in Australia at the moment.

maybe even as a PPL instructor or to do the Avio taxi, etc.

You will need to get a Commercial Pilot Licence to do Avio Taxi (we call it "Charter" here ;-) ) or to do most types of flight instruction.

Best of luck. :ok: