PDA

View Full Version : poor description and barking H&S info

rans6andrew
25th Jan 2015, 19:24
I recently wanted to buy a "hop up" step for aircraft related use (cleaning and fueling) and have been frustrated by the specifications found in the websites of the usual DIY outlets. The nearest to me gives only the folded dimensions of the step, the max weight carrying capacity and a "Maximum working height of 2 metres". I stand 1.92 metres tall, I can do more than 2 metres of working height with my feet firmly on the floor. Where do they get 2 metres from? No indication of the height improvement gained by "hopping up" onto it! A visit to the store didn't help, the item is supplied folded, banded and shrink wrapped in a way that stops you from measuring the height it might achieve.

The world has "lost it" big time.

Rans6.......

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Jan 2015, 20:41
Ah, but it's for your own good, don'tcherknow...

The great and good legislating this stuff can't be trusted to sit the right way round on the dump machine, so what hope is there for we ordinary mortals?

John Hill
25th Jan 2015, 20:49
The current rules for ladders is no standing on the top three steps, obviously those 3 steps or less things are not meant to be used at all!

hiflymk3
25th Jan 2015, 20:54
Youngmans are a good make for ladders, check them out. For a small hop up I use a plastic beer crate having first enjoyed the contents.

ChrisVJ
25th Jan 2015, 21:17
As the owner of no less than six ladders and steps of various types . . . . . . . . (Ok, I went through a phase where I needed all sorts of different steps and then a couple came up really, really cheap and I couldn't resist.)

What is the height of step you need without working with your arms over your head? (Very tiring.)

What height are you comfortable "stepping down" in one step after you lose your balance?

If the first is within the second any 'hop up' that height will do.

Allow 9" per step if you can't unwrap it. (Or move to America where you can take anything back if it doesn't suit!)

If you need higher than you can step down in one then you should get at least one step more than you need up to about four, or maybe five feet if you have good balance. That way you can always rest your shin against the next step to maintain you balance. Above five feet I like two steps spare, shin and knees for balance.

If you are just dipping fuel tank or oil levels anything is fine but if you intend to work then a couple of extra steps are handy so you can put a tool tray etc withing reach.

My a/c has guy wires so a low step is handier for easy access.

If your private plane is a 727 you need a cradle lift.

G-CPTN
25th Jan 2015, 22:17
My father used a 'crate' as the step for his caravan. This crate was oblong and afforded a choice of height so that he could reach higher when necessary for washing the caravan.

There are such crates which are designed to to fold flat - useful for stowage in your aircraft.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/9okAAOSwofxUgFQy/$_57.JPG

http://www.p-wholesale.com/upimg/27/400a1/folding-step-stool-gw11157-260.jpg

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Assets/images/Product/4209-xlarge.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71zlzGJJXFL._SL1500_.jpg

boguing
25th Jan 2015, 23:59
I estimate that you can reach 2.58m on tiptoes. Since these steps promise a safe working height of 2m they must be a negative height of 0.58m for you to walk down, thus making you safe.

UniFoxOs
26th Jan 2015, 09:03
"Working height" as referred to in access equipment documentation is generally accepted to be shoulder height - i.e. as Chris said above, it's tiring working above that.

I tend to use beer crates for a single step if not using a lot of tools/bits when I will use a steplader to have the use of the platform.

david1300
26th Jan 2015, 09:53
The current rules for ladders is no standing on the top three steps, obviously those 3 steps or less things are not meant to be used at all!

Well they could save us all a lot of money by selling us shorter stepladders - that is, without the top 3 steps, then ;) :\ :ok: