PDA

View Full Version : Do cats know it's the weekend?

hiflymk3
25th Jan 2015, 18:02
Usually on Saturdays I buy a steak from the butcher and he puts it in a polythene bag. As soon as I walk in the door 'Lucky', our rescue cat is at my feet making a fuss until I give her a small piece raw. When cooked she sits at my feet until I give her some, (I know, shouldn't feed animals at the table).

Same thing Sundays when we have a roast, she pesters me all afternoon until it is on the table and she gets some.

My point is she knows when there is steak in the house despite the fact there is no way she can smell it. Does she count the days of the week? I'm amused and bemused.

joy ride
25th Jan 2015, 18:40
You might not be able to smell it when it's in a bag but she probably can.

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Jan 2015, 18:58
Residual butchery smell on your person. I can smell it before I even enter the shop. Mogg and houndkind have far more finely tuned hooters than we yoomins.

I can also pick out smokers just walking by them in the street. Heaven knows what that does to a hound's sensitive nose.

Flyingmac
25th Jan 2015, 19:02
We don't feed cats round here. They do quite well on Robins, Finches, Blue Tits, Blackbirds etc. Really useful for keeping those annoying songbirds down. Then there's the free fertiliser in the veg patch.

India Four Two
25th Jan 2015, 19:28
Mogg and houndkind have far more finely tuned hooters than we yoomins.

After arriving in Sydney, my bag arrived on the carousel with a yellow and green (?) Quarantine tag. So I head for the Quarantine inspection line and put my bag on the table. The Quarantine bloke says "Would you mind if I open your bag, Sir?" "Of course not, go ahead." I've always wondered if anyone says Yes.

He points to some plastic bags, containing my shoes.

"Are these supermarket bags?" "Yes."

"Did they contain fruit?" "Almost certainly."

"That would be it then. Thank you."

So the sniffer dog had detected the residual smell of apples from plastic bags inside a very solid and well-sealed hard-sided suitcase. Amazing.

G-CPTN
25th Jan 2015, 19:29
Usually on Saturdays I buy a steak from the butcher and he puts it in a polythene bag. As soon as I walk in the door 'Lucky', our rescue cat is at my feet making a fuss until I give her a small piece raw.
What do you do on other days of the week?

Do you go to work (early)?

Do you not go shopping?

OFSO
25th Jan 2015, 19:37
There was a cat in Castello d'Empurias a few years ago that attended Sunday mass in the Basilica. He/She/It certainly knew which day to turn up.

G-CPTN
25th Jan 2015, 19:45
There was a cat in Castello d'Empurias a few years ago that attended Sunday mass in the Basilica.
Church bells?

Donkey497
25th Jan 2015, 19:49
Lang Sine, & way before t'internet & mobiles......Our dog used to know five minutes ahead of the rest of the inhabitants of the house when my Dad was going to phone from a coast somewhere on the surface of the planet, even when he was supposed to be still in the middle of the Oggin.

Whenever Donnie disappeared and sat in the hall looking intently at the lump of grey plastic on the shelf, you knew that it would ring from furrin parts in the next five minutes. As long as he got a whistle from him over the phone he was happy. Woe betide you if Dad forgot.... the dog would give you attitude for weeks.

Him and the bitch we had at the same [Debbie] time also knew before we did when we were going to decide to bath them - they would suddenly just vanish in opposite directions and could sometimes be found clinging, mission impossible style, to the underside of furniture.

Donnie was one of the stand outs in a long line of psychic Cairn Terriers - I can surely pick 'em.:)

toffeez
25th Jan 2015, 19:51
They don't read too well. He thought it said ..

Cats! Hello t'em pussies

RatherBeFlying
25th Jan 2015, 20:06
We don't feed cats round here. They do quite well on Robins, Finches, Blue Tits, Blackbirds etc.

The young Farley Mowat, passed away last year at 92, had two Great Horned Owls as pets.

He was kept busy doing clandestine interments for the local cats brought back by the owls:E

fenland787
25th Jan 2015, 20:09
Our dog used to know when it was the weekend, he would go and sit in the car waiting for us to go off somewhere. Always in the driving seat, sat there with his golden cocker muzzle looking intently over the steering wheel.A bit like this? Although in this case the intent look is because he just realised he'd pulled up in front of the bakers instead of the butcher two doors down!

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g325/adriannicol/Tommy016.jpg

Capetonian
25th Jan 2015, 20:18
They do have some sort of sixth sense. Our evil ginger monster normally comes no closer to me than sleeping on my side of the bed because I'm warmer than Mrs. CT.

Since yesterday morning when she left for a few days, the cat is sitting looking plaintively at me through slitted eyes, no doubt placing me under a feline spell of some kind. I've fed it, watered it, stroked it, and all I got in gratitude was a contemptuous look and a hiss.

http://www.allaboutdogsandcats.com/images/cat-hissing9_23.jpg

Lon More
25th Jan 2015, 20:54
cats are an excellent Judge of character :E

ChrisVJ
25th Jan 2015, 21:23
Some days when she is feeling anti social our dog will sit upstairs in the laundry room for most of the day. If someone walks a dog down the road outside, a hundred feet away and outside a small, high up, double gazed, double sealed, window, she'll bark and rush downstairs to defend her territory.

meadowrun
25th Jan 2015, 21:36
Only time I've been detected in many, many flights. Brought two bacon sandwiches in my carry-on to eat on long haul and duly consumed them mid-Atlantic. Disposed of wrapping on board.

Waiting for checked bag at carousel in YYC, tiny hound and minder arrives and sits down beside my bag and looks at me almost apologetically. Minder asks if I have any food in it. I tell her no, but there were two bacon sarnies in it, now in tummy - do you want a look?. No she says and hound gets her treat.

Hussar 54
25th Jan 2015, 21:40
Absolutely....

We have three cats ( mum and two daughters ) living on our road, left behind three years ago when the old couple they lived with died within a couple of months of each other....

We all feed them but they keep themselves to themselves apart from feeding time....

However....

Our next door neighbours live in Marseille and come to their house here just at weekends....While we feed the cats with dry food and cooking scraps, the next door neighbours always arrive with tins of meaty / fishy cat food....

Sure enough, on Fridays there is absolutely no sign of the cats until about 19.30 when all three of them gather together and sit outside the neighbour's front door, patiently waiting their arrival for the weekend....

Donkey497
25th Jan 2015, 21:46
Not sure what the time span for cats is, but I recently heard someone state that it's getting on for around twenty thousand years since the dog first domesticated humans.......

PLovett
25th Jan 2015, 23:12
A few years ago now I was present at a demonstration of the effectiveness of drug sniffer dogs. There were about 30 of us present standing in a circle and one of the police detectives (in plain clothes) had placed a heat sealed packet containing a tiny amount of cannabis in his trouser pocket. He was standing next to me and the dog was released on the other side of the circle. The dog near sprinted around the circle until he came to the detective whereupon he immediately sat down looking up at the person's face. No hesitation, no going past and then returning, instantaneous.

They then did a further demonstration placing the same small packet in a carton among a stack of similar cartons. The dog was again released and clambered all over the stack of cartons until it came to one containing the packet. His reward was to be thrown a tightly rolled towel which he then proceeded to play with. It was an amazing demonstration of the effectiveness of the sense of smell.

It is also a well documented fact that dogs and I believe cats can detect the imminence of approaching natural calamities such as earthquakes and the like. They have senses that are yet to be fully understood by us mere humans.

IBMJunkman
25th Jan 2015, 23:26
Beware the cat.

Nursing home cat can predict impending death | New York Post (http://nypost.com/2010/01/31/nursing-home-cat-can-predict-impending-death/)

Krystal n chips
26th Jan 2015, 04:30
our rescue cat is at my feet making a fuss until I give her a small piece raw. When cooked she sits at my feet until I give her some, (I know, shouldn't feed animals at the table).

Same thing Sundays when we have a roast, she pesters me all afternoon until it is on the table and she gets some.

As any Cat will confirm, you are merely conforming to the New World Order as is to be expected from a mere human.

Therefore, you can either continue in the manner you have been trained, and your life will be relatively stress free and without incident.....or, you can be rash and foolish enough to ignore the status quo in which case....you have to leave the house at times.....oops, sorry about the hairballs, vomit and those ornaments that used to adorn the house....and then, being human, you like to sleep at night....well, you would like to have an uninterrupted nights sleep that is.... now wouldn't you ?.

jolihokistix
26th Jan 2015, 08:22
Do cats know it's the weekend? :rolleyes: Ask a more difficult question. :ugh:

onetrack
26th Jan 2015, 08:29
The major difference between dogs and cats ....

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/57/76/cd/5776cd7f67984927bb59a339d07ce18e.jpg

hiflymk3
26th Jan 2015, 08:37
Erm... Do goldfish believe in God?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Jan 2015, 10:00
Nah, Onetrack. Cats are independent, can find their food, and don't 'need' humans (or their can openers) in the way dogs do.

The major difference between cats and dogs is this:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/catcartoon.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/GZK6NK/media/catcartoon.jpg.html)

david1300
26th Jan 2015, 10:03
Dogs (and possibly cats) are extremely observant, and pick up cues that we don't even realise are being given off by us and 'the universe'. They can detect a coming storm by the change in air pressure, for example. Our dog will lie and apparently sleep while we eat diner, yet she wakes up as soon as I have only 2 mouthfulls left to remind me to leave a a scrap on the plate for her. I used to think she heard that change in pattern of the knife and fork noises, but she does it even when I have soup.

And she knows what day it is by what shoes I put on.

Stanwell
26th Jan 2015, 11:40
Well, how about a dog that rushes down to the farm gate, tail wagging - while I'm still a good twenty minutes (30km) away?
Particularly when I wasn't expected for another 2-3 hours.
This happened numerous times - and no, I didn't have a loud exhaust, either.

david1300
26th Jan 2015, 23:35
^^^
One of the many wonders of the animal world that I love :)

We regularly feed butcher birds, and our previous dog used to call me to come and feed them when they were nearby, as she would watch and get a treat. For a time the butcher birds would appear about 500 meters from home as I drove home, and fly above the car, then go to the other side of the house to wait for their feed. How did they know the time of day? How did they come to recognise my car?

Now we have cockatoos that come to the window of whatever room I am in late afternoon to ask for their food. How do they know which room I am in when they often can't see in.

All part of the wonderful way animals interact with us :):ok:

jolihokistix
27th Jan 2015, 04:09
"Do goldfish believe in God?"

Now we're talking... :ok:

OFSO
27th Jan 2015, 09:14
"Do goldfish believe in God?"

If you were provided with free and safe accomodation, clean water, and food once a day, no need to go shopping, no taxes to pay...wouldn't you ?

hiflymk3
27th Jan 2015, 09:24
Not forgetting Guardian Angel fish to protect them.

oldchina
27th Jan 2015, 09:25
"A few years ago the city council of Monza, Italy, barred pet owners from keeping goldfish in curved bowls. The measure's sponsor explained it in part by saying that it is cruel to keep fish in a bowl with curved sides because, gazing out, the fish would have a distorted view of reality"

Stephen Hawking

Capetonian
27th Jan 2015, 09:44
it is cruel to keep fish in a bowl with curved sides because, gazing out, the fish would have a distorted view of realityI believe that the EU building inBrussels has curved windows. That would explain a lot, although I doubt whether most of that lot have the intellect of a goldfish - even collectively!

BWSBoy6
27th Jan 2015, 19:26
Difference between cats and dogs:

http://youtu.be/GbycvPwr1Wg

airship
28th Jan 2015, 17:34
Florida 'zombie cat' crawls out of grave (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31018677): A cat in Florida has had surgery after apparently clawing its way out of his grave following a collision with a car.

Bart was discovered by its owner's neighbour in Tampa five days after he was found lying in the road stiff in a pool of blood, and was presumed dead.

He is now recovering after treatment for a broken jaw and ruptured eye.

Sort of reminded me:

Back on the morning of 24th December 2007, I took my pudicat Grey to the vet, 3 days after his last visit, finally acknowledging the inevitable. We'd already had an unexpected good 2 years of extended "quality time" together since 2005. The vet explained what he would do. An initial injection of anaesthetic to put him to sleep, followed a couple of minutes later by the injection which would actually stop his heart. Having done that, he left us alone. I called him about 10 minutes later: "I can still feel his heart beating...". He administered another injection. A few more minutes passed when he came back: "It's still beating". By now somewhat flustered, he said: "Maybe a bad batch, sometimes happens...", before adminstering a 3rd and final injection. I took him home and laid him in the bedroom so that my other pudicat Pudi could say her goodbyes. Until at about 11pm on Xmas eve, I carried him the 2km or so to the old Fort Carré, where I buried him in the dead of night, under the wild bushes looking out to sea.

I did not yet know then, that I would be back there, this time with Pudi just 9 months later. Who had a very difficult last 30 minutes at home at about 2am. From what was surely an overdose of insulin I'd injected her twice daily with to treat her diabetes for the last 7 months. I could hear no heart-beat, but I was never 100% sure when I buried her nearby Grey 3 hours later. Nor yet know that on May the 1st 2010, I'd be laying not even 2 year old Quitaime to rest late at night. A vet putting her out of her misery finally after a gigantic epileptic fit during which she almost completely bit off her tongue. We'd both lived with the 'wobbly cat' syndrome for a year. Even when she relied on me almost totally during the last 3-4 months: to take her to the litter-tray and feed her, holding her steady all the time. To carry her to the bed from the sofa. To hold her at the window from where she could see the doves she so loved to stalk feeding at the bird tray. Always hoping for a miracle or a 10th life.

cornish-stormrider
28th Jan 2015, 19:49
Had that when we put our cat Maude down. Lethal creature, hard wired to psychotic anger and barely restrained fury.

Kidneys gave out and she stopped eating and drinking, can't bear the thought of pets dying in a strange smelling surgery, so we called out the vet who did the task while she lay in the sun on the back garden in her spot.

FOUR big doses it took, stubborn ole bugger.... Not going till she was damn well good and ready.

For the record, ginger, and female. In a three way fight between her, the Alien from Alien and a Predator, I'll have my pension on her killing both in under thirty seconds.

AtomKraft
29th Jan 2015, 11:28
I too have a Ginger Female.
She is a fierce animal. It's probably ok to look at her a bit funny, but only if she is asleep.

The rest of the time, better to be on your best behaviour. Her mood swings are frighteningly rapid and unpredictable. Blood is invariably spilled and it's never hers.

But if you do everything she wants, she can be very sweet.:ok:

RAFish
29th Jan 2015, 13:16
My two don't give a fig as to the day of the week.
They do however demand a strict regularity to the household.
In winter the fire must be lit by mid afternoon.
Chairs that are positioned in sunlight must be vacated and noise kept to a minimum till the sun has moved off.
Their three treats must be on schedule at 8:00 a.m., 9:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m..
Samples of all Ooman foods must be provided.
Staff sleeping past 8:00 a.m. means trampoline time on the sleeper.
And, for the Matriarch, water must be provided on demand at the nearest tap.

OFSO
29th Jan 2015, 17:56
Ginger females ? very rare.

mikedreamer787
30th Jan 2015, 05:34
cats are an excellent Judge of character :E"I judge you to be an arsehole."

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxOTY7abrUTZgj_aB2FTxe_ufsFMtfYLeamgc319H xyzbhcwyt

"I think you're just a boring shit."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/71/d0/47/71d04798ddb07fad11d5c51d835eff66.jpg

"I deem you to be a lying bastard."

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5295/5535736845_34112783ef.jpg

"I judge you to be a nice person miss Comfy Titty Girl!"

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Happy_1a3a78_2094679.jpg