PDA

View Full Version : Royal Mail logo

victor tango
25th Jan 2015, 15:22
Had a thought during the night as you do:bored:

By the main entrances of airliners of many different companies is the Royal Mail logo, bit like a bugle hanging from a cord.
Ok we know its to state that that A/c is carrying mail.
They dont paint any other logo's to say they are carrying live animals/mod cgo/hazmat etc etc. So why just Mail?:confused:

(wonder if the reply on here will be from aviation or post office person?)

Innominate
25th Jan 2015, 15:29
It seems to be a legacy of the time when ships that carried mail were able to prefix their name "RMS" (Royal Mail Ship) Royal Mail Ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mail_Ship)

Airlines that have contracts with Royal Mail are apparently entitled to have the logo on their aircraft.

Airbanda
25th Jan 2015, 16:02
It seems to be a legacy of the time when ships that carried mail were able to prefix their name "RMS" (Royal Mail Ship) Royal Mail Ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The aircraft equivalent of RMS, RMA, was used by BEA on its named fleets in the fifties (eg 'Discovery Class'Viscounts and the AS57 Ambassador, known as Elizabethan in BEA service).

evansb
25th Jan 2015, 23:05
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b477/gumpjr_bucket/Rothbury%20Cards.jpg

Dockwell
26th Jan 2015, 14:38
No signage is carried on aircraft to say they are carrying HAZ or AVI, only the NOTOC (NOtice TO Captain) will carry that info

Stanwell
26th Jan 2015, 22:05
It was/is a symbol of prestige that the carrier had been specially selected to carry His/Her Majesty's Mail.
It followed then, that such carrier was perceived to be loyal, dedicated, safe and reliable - Her Maj said so, OK?

Similarly, one will find products and services wearing the "By Royal Appointment" seal in their advertising.
An example would be Alfred Dunhill & Company - Purveyors of fine cancer-sticks to the Royal Household.
Not sure that particular arrangement would still exist, though.

macuser
27th Jan 2015, 00:09
Don't remember this being a British Eagle a/c. BEA, then maybe Channel Airways? And then certainly Cambrian.

victor tango
27th Jan 2015, 16:49
Stanwell
Im sure your answer is the nearest to the truth of WHY its displayed.
That Eagle pic I've had for a while and being ex Eagle myself studied it quite closely.
I thought the Mini parked, was near perfect from my memory of ramp cars. The beckoning stewardess also is near perfect (Iwondered if I knew her!)
The girl at the bottom of the steps in a blue uniform, whats that about,? blue, never, complete mystery.
The VC10 is landing on 27L. This would put the Viscount somewhere around No1 maintenance area. We would never load passengers all the way over there.

I'll stop there cos I'm nit picking a nicely painted card.

Guglielmo
28th Jan 2015, 11:33
Qantas has carried mail ever since it began flying so it's little wonder that in 1934 and 1935 the newly acquired DH-86A's were named "RMA Canberra," with others RMA Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide.
Until about the 1980's Qantas aircraft wore a logo with the words "Royal Air Mail"- complete with crown.

Flap40
28th Jan 2015, 22:13
The VC-10 also looks to have lost 10ft or so off its left wing (or gained 10ft on the right!).