PDA

View Full Version : Tangerine Dream

SpringHeeledJack
25th Jan 2015, 08:43
BBC News - Tangerine Dream's Edgar Froese dies at 70 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30965708)

Whether a fan of them or not, it has to be said that their creativity in the musical world helped to push along film music into the digital age. I used to find their works mesmerising when listened to with earphones in a darkened room. Allegedly even better when partaking of other products to alter one's perceptions.

SHJ

tartare
25th Jan 2015, 08:47
Ironically Jack - SBS Chill - a digital station here in Sydney have had one of their tracks on high rotate for the last couple of days.
Beautiful piece of music. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5aRgOk_dnU)

Capetonian
25th Jan 2015, 08:51
fQ2OE_Vodgw

joy ride
25th Jan 2015, 09:07
Almost everyone I knew had a copy of Phaedra, perhaps their best known album. Late at night after pub, on would go Phaedra! At that time my favourite bands had to include drummers (like Bill Bruford, Robert Wyatt, Jon Hiseman and Nick Mason), but I did like TG and respect their far-reaching influence on music. RIP.

cattletruck
25th Jan 2015, 11:41
Sad news indeed. Very recently I read TD were touring my city Melbourne. I really wanted to see them but was worried about bumping into all some of the dregs I used to hang out with from over 30 years ago. End of an era from the grand-daddies of electronic music.

White Eagle remains always a TD favourite.

Andy_S
25th Jan 2015, 12:03
I found some of the early stuff went a bit over my head, although I love the story about how some of the primitive synthesisers they played used to overheat and go out of tune during the longer tracks.

I did like a lot of their more melodic late 70's / 80's output. Logos was a particular favourite of mine.

It'll be interesting to see if the band continue; with Edgar Froese's passing, none of the current line up are original members.

IBMJunkman
25th Jan 2015, 17:41
First became aware of them when watching the 1981 movie Thief with James Caan. They wrote the soundtrack.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Jan 2015, 20:27
Still enjoy their work. I was even inspired, being relatively close, to get up ridiculously early a couple of years ago to experience:

MEgphCcN-ak

had the tune on my IPod too. Remarkable.