PDA

View Full Version : Pub Nostalgia

victor tango
24th Jan 2015, 16:14
Oh how I wish we could go back to around the 1960's when pubs were really comfortable places to be in, be it decor or the company. The freedom to speak and act naturally within acceptable social bounds.

Nowadays re-vamped pubs do try to capture some of the decor but somehow fall short of the mark. Why is it that nearly everyone has a bl***y phone stuck in their ear or it seems more important to some to be texting instead of chatting with their companion?
Then the added joy of the door opening and the trundling in of yet another buggy with enough kit hanging off it to supply a regiment for a tour of operations and why bring a baby into a pub environment:rolleyes:
Pubs used to be mainly run by Tenants who generally remained for years and the pub was popular or not depending on how they ran it and usually the center of village activities. Today's managers however, do work hard, true, but they are motivated in a different direction. Sales targets.

Moving on to where "Celebrities" run pubs:suspect:
They buy up village pubs and revamp them into expensive eateries thereby alienating all the locals who either don't want to or can't afford to use the place they've been using for years.
Take Hestons famous Fat Duck in Bray.
There were 3 pubs there The Ringers, The White Hart and The Royal Oak.
The Ringers is now Fat Duck. The White Hart was sometimes used by the Queen for low profile private lunches, and the Royal Oak is the same as far as I know. All 3 are owned by him now, I suppose the next step is to rename Bray Bleumethalville:ugh:

When I ran a pub (Tenant for 18months before I saw the light) the area brewery manager said he wanted me to stop serving Mild Bitter. My argument against this, I said to him, was that a few of the regulars are old chaps who can only afford 1/2 of Mild and he should be aware that this chaps sons and grandsons also used the pub. Not a good idea to upset them......we kept the Mild.

Anyway.....should we rename The Queens Head to The Texters Fingers?
Any new pub names you can come up with to keep us in the not so swinging 21st century;)

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Jan 2015, 16:32
why bring a baby into a pub environment:rolleyes:
Let me guess ... 'cos the parents want a drink?

Our local is a toddlers tea party early Friday evenings, as parents are tired at the end of the week and CBA to do any cooking so take the family down to the pub for dinner. I don't see anything wrong with that - you only very occasionally get a stranger's baby dumped in your lap with "hey, could you hold this for a bit please, whilst I eat my dinner?".

And if you want to avoid the babies you can always go into the public, and play pool or darts with the lads instead.

Loose rivets
24th Jan 2015, 16:46
The Cherry Tree at Tendring Essex was always a good bolt-hole. Smashing bloke ran it until last summer when suddenly the freehold was for sale. I put a lot of work into the first stages of purchase, but there were just too many issues - like not having a gas supply or foul sewer line - to make it a starter for a small investor.* It was with utter bewilderment that I saw in the local paper this week that it is now called. Bicycle. I overheard someone this lunchtime saying there were stripy stools etc.

http://whatpub.com/pubs/TND/10512/bicycle-tendring

I will have to go and have a look, but one consolation, I hope, is the soon to be opened and newly revamped Red Lion at Kirby le Soken. Now how nice does that sound? It was our second home for 50 years, even electing to skip the Three Magpies at LHR after a flight and cross London for the 103 mile drive there. (My old home, so we didn't have to drive back.) Log fire, know everyone, and they even put up with me.

One of the stalwarts says it might make him come back from NZ if it's like it was.

http://whatpub.com/pubs/TND/11189/red-lion-kirby-le-soken

I have no financial interest in any pub whatsoever.

* Oddly, a main High Street bank was fairly gung-ho about the plan, while they were rather less so about me doing up, and living in, houses one by one despite being able to show records of several local projects. Nowt so queer as banks. Perhaps they thought they might end up with me broke and a cheap pub. Cynical, moi?

G-CPTN
24th Jan 2015, 16:53
I have just experienced what well may be the end of a brilliant pub that has featured in my life since I first became mobile with my first car.

In those early days, the landlord was a dipsomaniac with the result that visits during the week meant that there was no beer available - Brian having been unable to persuade the brewery to deliver - though there was usually beer at the weekend.

When Brian 'passed on' a group of my drinking friends decide to save the pub by buying it and running it.
This worked for a while, however they weren't 'professionals' and, eventually, the group of friends that constituted their clientèle 'matured' and either moved away or settled down.
For a while the pub remained closed.

Twenty-five years ago, well-to-do (but down-to-earth) accountant decided to leave the rat race and bought the pub to run himself.

In addition to adding food to the menu (cooked and served by his wife), Geoff decided to brew his own beer - and went on to supply surrounding pubs, too.

Pint to pint: Dipton Mill Inn, Northumberland - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/pubs/10091361/Pint-to-pint-Dipton-Mill-Inn-Northumberland.html)

By chance, my son and his friends chose the pub as their local, so on many occasions I would join them 'for old time's sake'.

A couple of weeks ago Geoff fell down the cellar steps and broke his neck.

His funeral was extremely well attended (the church was full to overflowing - as, indeed, was the pub on many occasions - with no room left to stand and as many left standing outside as there were within).

It seems unlikely that his family (apart from his wife) will have the enthusiasm to continue running this country pub (it really is remotely located), and, with the general state of depression in the licensed trade it is doubtful IMO that anyone will risk taking over the licence.

It was brilliant whilst it lasted . . .

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Jan 2015, 17:09
1960s pubs? Watneys Red Barrel :yuk:, Whitbread Tankard :yuk: and other dead, chemic, fizzy pisses masquerading as beer. No thanks!

That nonsense by the brewery trade kicked off CAMRA. Now we have lovely smoke-free pubs with good beer. I know which I prefer!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Jan 2015, 17:09
The first pub I remember was called the 'Robin Hood', presumably because it was full of them. Geezers muttering about 'bank jobs' in the corner, 16 year olds drinking pints and playing bar billiards at lunchtime (that would be me + mate on break from our Saturday jobs), and girls with full 'war paint' and negotiable affection. No drugs though. The Police were frequent visitors, though there was never any aggro. Couldn't tell if they were looking for people or collecting brown envelopes.*

The council closed it then razed it to the ground. You know, like the Israelis do with the homes of terrorists. Happy days!

*Just remembered; it was the closest pub to Police HQ, so probably the latter. Quite an education, that place.

Capetonian
24th Jan 2015, 17:29
The pubs I remember when I was old enough to go to them used to stink of stale beer, BO and fags (tobacco type). Perhaps that was because our impecunious state at that time meant we had to go to cheap ones. Watery luke warm beer and 'pale ale'. Decent imported lagers were almost unheard of. On the plus side, they weren't full of braying city types bawling into mobile 'phones, and you could get home made Scotch Eggs and so on, before the EUssr and the H&S diktats had come along to screw it up. Yet it was those same diktats that managed to ban smoking, making pubs cleaner and more pleasant, but characterless.

Then came electronic music and microwaved pre-cooked ghastly food, to be slowly replaced by properly cooked food. On reflection, I was probably never much of a 'pub' person, the only time I really looked forward to a pub was after a long walk through the countryside, in either very hot or very cold weather, looking forward to some suitable refreshment.

I know a few real pubs. Open fireplace with a couple of labradors or sheepdogs warming themselves, horse brasses round the bar, a friendly middle aged couple behind the bar, not some pimpled 'yoof' or a painted bimbo.

I can't say it would make a huge difference in my life if I never wentto a pub again.

hiflymk3
24th Jan 2015, 18:02
A couple of pubs I used to frequent in London in the 80's were close to police stations. After hours lock ins were the norm. Lots of smoke and boozing but never any trouble.

UniFoxOs
24th Jan 2015, 18:07
Any new pub names you can come up with to keep us in the not so swinging 21st century

Dog and Ipad?

The Cross Keyboard?

The Spelling Chequers?

Or, in certain areas - The Fire Arms?

hiflymk3
24th Jan 2015, 18:21
The Eight Bells on my ringtone.

The Frog and App

The Horse and don't talk to me I'm busy texting.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Jan 2015, 18:24
The Closed By Health & Safety For Having Non-Safety Matches On The Bar

flying lid
24th Jan 2015, 18:26
Ah, 1960's 70's pubs.

Did my apprentice boozing in Wigan. Hundreds of pubs back then in and around town, mostly the same, most now long gone.

Most nights they were full, old, young, little unemployment back then, so folks had ale money & the pubs did a roaring trade.

Monday Darts & Dominoes - Busy
Tuesday Slack
Wednesday Slack
Thursday Pay day - Busy
Friday Full
Saturday Ram jam packed
Sunday (work tomorrow, so lets have a few) - Full

It was Mild, Bitter or a bottle of brown or stout, little else other than Rum, Whisky etc.. Around 2 bob (10p) a pint. Draught lager / Cider / Guinness only came later.

Wigan meant Walkers Warrington Ales - you where guaranteed a major headache the morning after. A night out wasn't measured in pints consumed, but in paracetamols taken the morning after !!

Other brews were Greenalls (shyte) Burtonwood (shyte) and only one or two had Tetleys beers "Imported" from Yorkshire (Pure Nectar !!). The clubs were worse, Whitbread (ultra shyte) and Bass Charringtons (mega shyte). No guest ales or real beers back then.

Now these pubs all had a similar character, old, dingy, noisy and smelly (due to smoke mainly). In some of the most popular pubs the level of smoke slowly descended as the night wore on, your eyes literally started to water. When you went home your clothes and hair stunk of smoke - literally.

You never fell over either when drunk as most carpets were well sodden and very sticky !! The backs / bogs / toilets - well, it was just a piss as the throne rooms mostly had no door / lock / seat / light / paper.

A snack was a packet of crisps or "a rat out 'ot trap, Joe" (stale pie - 3 or 4 days old and heated / cooled many times !!). On Fridays & Saturdays a "Kershaws" guy came round the popular pubs with his white coat & tray selling Prawns, Muscles, Kippers and Whelks etc, served in a little ice cream paper tub with a wooden fork and a sprinkle of Vinegar - just the job, complimented the vinegar in your pint pot !!!!!!!!!!

Juke boxes were just coming in - 1 or 2 bob (5 -10p) would get you quite a few records played - I used to put on "In the port of Amsterdam" by David Bowie to get a bit of arousal !! 60's / 70's pop music was the main reason us young uns went in, we rated pubs by the Juke box first, crumpet second and Ale came third !!

It was 10-30 pm last orders every night, 11-00pm Fri & Sat came in later (can't remember when) but quite a few pubs served till the landlord threw you out - time variable, midnight till 4-00am usually !!!

As Elton John sang, "Saturday Nights alright for fighting" !!

Fantastic days. (well, some of 'em !!)

Lid

SOPS
24th Jan 2015, 19:00
Ok Im talking from Australia, but my favourite pub while growing up, walking distance from home, is now a Shell petrol station. Drink Driving is killing a lot of pubs in Australia.

The other night, well about a month ago, I dropped my darling 20 year old daughter to a party. I got to the address, a block of very up market apartments, and told her, you are not going to believe this, this used to be a pub....and it was here I met your mum for the first time! And can I add, we reamain very happy 29 years later.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Jan 2015, 19:03
Greenhall Whitley - rumored they wouldn't serve you a pint of it unless you were wearing bicycle clips. :eek:

G-CPTN
24th Jan 2015, 19:37
http://tent.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/hexbrewery-2938-488x368.jpg
Geoff Brooker - 26th April 1947 to 9th January 2015

Loose rivets
25th Jan 2015, 00:30
The Cock and something. A very popular pub north of greater London. There was a two-bob piece glued to the counter, and the latter was sculpted away with fingernail marks where folk had tried to take the coin.

Every so often, the landlord would make a strange shouting noise and pull a string. This would open a trapdoor in the ceiling which then shut with a crash - several times. No idea why.

"Come and look at this motor, Rivets."

"Nice. How much is it?"

"Six hundred quid."

"Mmm, I'll think about it."

"Take it for a spin."

Twenty minutes later. "Nice. As I say, I'll think about it."

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

'This motor' was an XK150. Convertible and like new.

Lots of people woke up to find a 'new' car on their drive that they found they owned.

Capetonian
25th Jan 2015, 00:33
The Cock and something.
Cock and Bull by the sound of those stories!!!

John Hill
25th Jan 2015, 00:58
Country pubs were known by the name of the village or locality they served.. Chertsey Pub, Rolleston Pub, Dunsandel pub and ever so many 'Railway Taverns'.

Fishtailed
25th Jan 2015, 01:08
Juke boxes were just coming in - 1 or 2 bob (5 -10p) would get you quite a few records played - I used to put on "In the port of Amsterdam" by David Bowie to get a bit of arousal !! 60's / 70's pop music was the main reason us young uns went in, we rated pubs by the Juke box first, crumpet second and Ale came third !!

Flying Lid

Spot on ( even with the music, but I don;t know what you mean about arousal) but we went for crumpet first. I remember walking into "establishments" and you could smell the rank beer, but they were full of nice girls.

Loose rivets
25th Jan 2015, 02:56
Found it!!! The Cock and Turkey, though the words are not in that order. :p

Turkey Cock, Acorn Street, Hunsdon, Ware, Hertfordshire

It was the in place to go. Packed every night and no need to buy cigarets as smoke had displaced the air.

Ain't t'net wonderful? And my memory - despite its failure to remember current issues.

OldCessna
25th Jan 2015, 04:04
Try this one

The Cock
Welwyn
Herts

Welwyn pronounced "Well Inn"

Herts being Hertfodshire for the unitiated!

Still there!

Great pub!

Capetonian
25th Jan 2015, 06:59
That's sounds like that silly old joke :

Miss Mary Lykes
The Cock
Welwyn
Tillit
Herts.