PDA

View Full Version : Number of Posts?

Walking Ballast
24th Jan 2015, 00:47
OK, So now I am confused, not hard really.....I have just posted a reply to a current thread, and have posted the odd reply to several ongoing threads in different forums over time, but the number of posts that is shown alongside my name never increases....it has been on 9 for quite some time.

Is the number related to the number of threads that you start of the number of posts you place in relay to a thread?

Mods....anyone?

Flying Lawyer
24th Jan 2015, 00:55
it has been on 9 for quite some time.

Posts in Jetblast are not added to the total shown alongside your name.

If you want to find out how many posts you've made in all forums, look at your 'Profile'.
It's currently 44 - all but nine of which have been in Jetblast.

Walking Ballast
24th Jan 2015, 01:02
Ahhh....OK, thks heaps for that.

So...JB....everyone dirty little secret huh!

Windy Militant
24th Jan 2015, 10:50
Oooh :uhoh:
Treading young sir on thin ice you are.

http://www.pprune.org/901219-post12.html;)

Worrals in the wilds
24th Jan 2015, 12:30
Does using the phrase 'p__t count' on JB still decrease one's count by one or has that fallen into disuse?
Swathes of mine disappear each time Qantas gets huffy and lawyered up, so I've lost track.:\:}

Tankertrashnav
24th Jan 2015, 17:21
I reckon I post about three times as often on JB as on Military Aircrew, which is the only other one I contribute to. I've just realised that means my actual post count is about four times more than that shown.

What a sad b*****d - I must get out more :(

airship
24th Jan 2015, 17:23
I hate to disappoint FL (or anyone else) but under the user's public profile "statistics" - find all posts for the user: it only returns upto 1,000 posts. I did the same for airship using "advanced search" - show individual posts, and it only came back with 40 pages comprising 1,000 posts which go back to just January 2014.

That really did surprise me as I'd never have imagined that I'd made so many in the space of just the last year. I wonder how I've been able to do that, what with also working full-time for my daily-bread. Certainly, I've never considered myself a very prolific contributor. At least compared to others like Tony Draper (though the admiral has been noticeably quieter in recent times, worryingly so IMHO, perhaps it's old-age or summat).

I can understand the logic behind posts here in JetBlast not counting anymore. But perhaps JetBlast should have its' own post-counter, quite separate from all the other forums...?!

Reminiscing a little, I remember when 10 years or so ago, we were allowed threads nominating JBers for the "PPRuNer Of The Year" award and other similar light-hearted endeavours. All water under the bridge now... :sad:

Tankertrashnav
24th Jan 2015, 21:55
That really did surprise me as I'd never have imagined that I'd made so many in the space of just the last year.

Perhaps from now on quality rather than quantity should be your watchword.

Mind you that is probably the pot calling the kettle... ;)

timmcat
24th Jan 2015, 21:59
Uh oh. Aunt Mary rears her head again. It'll only end in tears...

funfly
25th Jan 2015, 08:58
How do you get the comment under your name ?

ShyTorque
25th Jan 2015, 09:07
How do you get the comment under your name?We had to contribute to the website's maintenance fund, in my case many years ago.

Thinking about this - having joined in 1995, (not this username) in about three months time I'll have been on this here website for twenty years! :cool:

When is the anniversary party? :ok:

tony draper
25th Jan 2015, 09:08
There was a craze reared its head back in the olden days on tinternet sites such as this for people to try and accumulate large ere,Aunt Mary's winning by repeated ere posting one word ere posts,Danny took action to prevent this as I recall,and threads were limited to one hundred replies in those days as well.
:uhoh:

UniFoxOs
25th Jan 2015, 09:31
threads were limited to one hundred replies in those days as well.

Not such a bad idea - limit the bandwidth of the various hamsterwheels, such as speed cameras, gun control etc.

P6 Driver
25th Jan 2015, 09:31
There may still be a trend for some to try and boost their post count!

airship
25th Jan 2015, 17:02
I just had a thought. Now that PPRuNe is a wholly-commercial operation: what if they 'hide' the post-counts here in the PPRuNe "Social" forums, as these might adversely or negatively impact at least the "image" of PPRuNe as being a completely and truly 'aviation-orientated' operation to advertisers etc.?

As a simple (or advanced search) immeditely shows however, the "real" posts made here in JB are obviously stored and counted in the database. Perhaps these are also 'integrated' into the official and overall posts / views statistics used to attract advertisers? I'm not sure if what I wrote was very clear. Or that I should have written what I just did. :uhoh:

mixture
25th Jan 2015, 17:07
There may still be a trend for some to try and boost their post count!

Isn't that the purpose of the MH370 thread ? :cool:

FullOppositeRudder
25th Jan 2015, 21:52
It was once suggested during an earlier discussion on this topic that each time a member posts in JB, it should actually be subtracted from his/her published total. :E

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Jan 2015, 06:10
Not a bad thing. A negative post count would identify denizens of JB as being somewhat clued up and not one of the excited kiddies and fretful wobble heads in the so called serious forums.

Worrals in the wilds
26th Jan 2015, 07:51
Isn't that the purpose of the MH370 thread ? :cool:
Although the boost does tend to be fleeting. :suspect::}

Tankertrashnav
26th Jan 2015, 09:41
...the excited kiddies and fretful wobble heads in the so called serious forums.

In the 18th century it was the practice among the leisured classes to visit Bedlam and other lunatic asylums (as they were then called) to laugh at the inmates.

I have to confess to occasionally visiting R & N (just to look, you understand) ;)

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Jan 2015, 09:59
Quite so, Mr TTN. Sometimes it's an amusing diversion to tap on the glass of the R&N ant farm just to watch them scurry about....:E

Stanwell
26th Jan 2015, 11:28
TTN & SRT,
The best two posts in a row there's been for a while!