PDA

View Full Version : Air 2000 sponsorship in this week's Flight

Luke SkyToddler
24th Sep 2001, 11:40
Well knock me down with a feather, if there isn't a whacking great advert in this morning's Flight International for the latest Air 2000 sponsorship program.

The usual suspects apply: age between 18 and 28, good GCSE / A level grades etc., and if anyone hasn't seen it before the address to send your stamped addressed A4 envelope to is:

The Sponsorship Secretary,
The Air 2000 Sponsorship Scheme 4
Cabair College of Air Training
Cranfield Airport, Bedford
MK43 0JR

Closing date for this one is October 26th - as ever, best of luck to everyone who applies.

It's really made my day to see that at least one airline is feeling optimistic about recruiting pilots again before the third millennium. I'm a wee bit over qualified or I'd have a go myself :D :D :D :D :D

Polar_stereographic
24th Sep 2001, 11:50
Luke,

Great news if it's true, but I wonder what the lead time and cancelation conditions for such adverts would be?

Might be worth a call to check it's still on before getting hopes up.

PS

EPRman
24th Sep 2001, 12:05
Unfortunately all recruitment has stopped at Air 2000 for the time being. Also nine new recruits who were due to join in the next couple of months have been informed their services are no longer required. The airline
like all the others is taking stock of the current situation and is looking to cut costs. I would imagine sponsoring pilots will be one of the first things to stop.

JT8
24th Sep 2001, 13:21
Luke,

Apparantly Air2K will be in contact with Cabair this week to finalise if things are going ahead. The fact that they didn't call earlier to cancel the advert is a little hopeful, but chances are it isn't happenning :( . A real shame.

JT8

Crowe
24th Sep 2001, 21:06
culled from their website - doesn't look good...

Suspension of Recruitment Programme
Following the recent terrorist attacks in the United States, many companies associated with aviation have announced measures to reduce the immediate and secondary effects of these attacks on their businesses.

The Air 2000 Board has made similar decisions and their first measure has been to suspend our recruitment programme. We will not be accepting CVs or application forms until further notice. However, application forms already submitted will remain on file for the next six months.

Toppers
25th Sep 2001, 00:39
AND BE WARNED YOU HOPEFUL CHAPS AND CHAPESSES. THIS IS A GENUINE WARNING FROM A PREVIOUS FINAL STAGE APPLICANT TO CABAIRS AIR 2000 RECRUITMENT SCHEME.

If you have it in you for the mental tests which, to be fair, are challenging enough to sort the men from the boys; you will finally meet Monsieur Uphisarse who will deliberately try and patronise you for a full 20 minutes.

Not only will you spend 19 minutes watching him try and get his nose just a little bit higher in the air, you may also be asked your name.

Monsiur Uphisarse will also ask you why you applied for the sponsorship and if you have enough money to complete the course. The obvious answer to this question is "yes" and he will then be very interested in you "old mans" line of work.

I may sound cynical, but I found the whole thing most humiliating and am bloody glad I took another route into commercial flying. (ie I got my OATS in Oxford and learned where proffessionalism lies).

All I am saying is be prepared to feel ***** at the expense of another mans ego trip and you may be a successful slave to him if you are unlucky.

WAIF-er
25th Sep 2001, 12:47
Apparently, Air 2000 will contact Cabair tomorrow (wed) with more information.

Yes, the Air 2000 website states that recruitment has been stopped, but this is directly referring to DEP's. The website goes on to state that the sponsorship is currently being advertised, with courses due to start early 2002.

Let us wait and see.

Signed: hopeful.

25th Sep 2001, 18:58
Toppers,
No-one likes a bad loser. Maybe it would be different if you got in?

Valiant
25th Sep 2001, 19:37
The Air 2000 sponsorship is in the latest Pilot too. Also in Pilot is an ad for British European sponsorship, again run through Cabair with pretty much the same application criteria.

bumpfich
26th Sep 2001, 01:27
This is going to sound really pessimistic...however, don't CABAIR stand to make a tidy sum from us wannabies by letting us sit the aptitudes for both British European and Air 2k. Only to then say the airline has withdrawn the sponsorship?

OK it's nothing like the sort of money they make from the the students/airlines when they actually go through training but in the current climate training unlikely to actually happen. So CABAIR/OATS stand to lose alot? Are they trying to make up some money whilst the airlines decide what there going to do?

It's late I know but I just can't help thinking..... :confused:

(Edited due to brain trouble)

[ 25 September 2001: Message edited by: bumpfich ]

[ 25 September 2001: Message edited by: bumpfich ]

g10
26th Sep 2001, 01:44
can someone clear a few questions about the application for air2k sponsorship and selection.....I've not sent off for the appplication pack yet......

You have to pay for your assessment?

How likely are they gonna accept someone with only 1 hours flying under their belt?

any other info would be great

thanks

g10

[ 25 September 2001: Message edited by: g10 ]

Wee Weasley Welshman
26th Sep 2001, 03:05
Look guys I hope to be proved wrong here but Do Not Get Your Hopes Up.

Several sponsoring airines have this last week trashed their own cadets. Other airlines have trashed people to whom they had offered job contracts but whom had not yet started flying.

The chances on any airline choosing this week to actually start a sponsorship and recruitment drive are at best slim.

My best guess is that the simple fact of lead/lag times for advertising are to blame.

A cynic would say that the selection procedure itself is a profit centre for CABAIR - its been said here before many times although I doubt they do anything but cover their costs myself.

I will try and do some official digging tomorrow on your behalf and publish here the real status of the sponsorships for Air2k and BEA.

Cheers,

Sagey
26th Sep 2001, 03:48
Mmmm, sent off for Air2k and put in letter heard BE out soon too and asked if could have both application forms.

Think they send me both or do I have to fill in another stamped addressed envelope??

Sagey

A and C
27th Sep 2001, 19:07
It is my gess that by feb 2002 the charter airlines will find that it will take more than the arab terrorist to get between the man on the clapham omnibus and his week in the sun ,and in the spring panic recruting will take place to cover the summer flying program.

This wont directly help those of you seeking sponsorship now but will make the need for new blood more pressing next year.

This is the third such cycle of this type i have seen but in this case the UK economy is in much better shape than the last two times acording to the chairman of the CBI.

Wee Weasley Welshman
27th Sep 2001, 20:13
The Air2k sponsorship is indeed suspended - official.

Sagey
27th Sep 2001, 20:41
What about British European??

And am still waiting for Cabair to return my sae and to see whether they included a BE form as I asked for both.

If not another sae got to go to them.

Sagey

rg_vr6
29th Sep 2001, 19:15
Hello People,
I was just wondering if there was an update on this subject. Im about to send off for the application forms!! Just wondering if the scheme is still going ahead????
Thanks
RG!!

WAIF-er
1st Oct 2001, 00:20
www.air2000.com/recruitmentindex.htm (http://www.air2000.com/recruitmentindex.htm)

[ 30 September 2001: Message edited by: WAIF-er ]