PDA

View Full Version : OT : Prince William

rivetjoint
4th Jun 2002, 18:59
I noticed in a photo on the BBC News site that Prince William was wearing a single medal on his suit. Anyone know which one he's got?

(I can't find the page again now but he was sat in a carriage next to Prince Andrew).

Flatus Veteranus
4th Jun 2002, 19:49
Jubilee medal? Everyone else there seemed to be sporting one!:)

gas path
4th Jun 2002, 19:49
ABlue Peter badge per chance????:D

solotk
4th Jun 2002, 19:52
Still waiting for mine..........

:(

PlasticCabDriver
4th Jun 2002, 20:23
Not just William, Harry and various minor male royals (whose memorable names escape me for the moment) also wearing them. Just blue and white but no red so not Jubilee medal, looked more like the Bosnia/Kosovo medals (but couldn't be, shurely?)

opso
4th Jun 2002, 21:32
Whilst I'm no expert on medals, it did seem to be a navy blue ribbon with a white central stripe, which is a DSC according to http://www.worldmedals.co.uk/Rib/Britrib/britribb.htm. Obviously for all the Distinguished homework that the boys brought back from school - either that, or the Royals found them in crackers last Christmas.:rolleyes:

Jackonicko
4th Jun 2002, 21:44
Sorry to be unduly dull but it actually sounds like the Royal Victorian Order - which I believe is the only such award that is in the direct gift of the Sovereign.

Any Queen's Flight chaps might no better, since in its MVO/CVO forms it seems to be the 'gong of choice' for long-serving members.....

Mystic Greg
4th Jun 2002, 22:18
Are you sure he was wearing a medal? I was there and didn't notice one when his carriage drove past - I am sure it would have looked very odd on a lounge suit.

By the way, great flypast over my house this afternoon - thanks to all who took part (especially the E-3D crew!).

Mystic Greg
5th Jun 2002, 10:50
Okay, my mistake - picture in The Daily Telegraph today of HRH wearing a 'Jubilee Medal'.

teeteringhead
5th Jun 2002, 11:14
You've all heard on the military restrictions on the award of the Jubilee Medal, but apparently HM had to pay personnally for the ones she wished to award to family and household. I bet some Treasury bloke is really really proud of that decision!

Ralf Wiggum
6th Jun 2002, 15:06
Reckon it was the Jubilee Medal and after all, why not? The Royal family, including the minnows, have carried out their duties to the country for some years and the medal is not just a Military Medal.

If you haven't got yours yet, why not phone up your blunties to find out why. Got mine a couple of weeks ago, but have been told that I can't wear the stuff until after an AFI next week.

doubledolphins
6th Jun 2002, 15:49
Great to see the journos get it wrong Jacko! Seriously though, you chaps who did not spot the red on the ribbon should be very careful at your next medical.

opso
6th Jun 2002, 18:06
Hell, my eyesight's so bad that I can't even make out the medical centre - if I can't see it, I can't go for a medical - if I don't have a medical, they can't fail me. I hope! :D

Jackonicko
6th Jun 2002, 18:59
DD

Had to say 'sounds like' cos I hadn't seen it. Just assumed that someone who knew what they were on about had dismissed the Jubilee medal, and thought that the VO was the next most likely.

JN