PDA

View Full Version : EPSON XP610 PRINTER/SCANNER

TURIN
22nd Jan 2015, 21:26
I was changing the ink cartridges tonight and as I put the lid down it slipped out of my fingers and dropped the last inch or two. The display and power lights went off and now I can't switch it on.
When I hold the power button down it flashes on every 3 or 4 seconds and I can hear a switch clicking inside the machine each time it flashes.
I've tried unplugging the mains and repowering but no joy.
I've opened and closed all the flaps, covers and paper holders. Nothing.

Googling only brings up lots of complaints about the price of ink and the Epson website and manuals have been no help.

The machine is only 13 months old. :suspect:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :ok:

Loose rivets
22nd Jan 2015, 21:48
Have you tried moving the head carriage to one end or the other? Power off of course

TURIN
22nd Jan 2015, 21:53
Just tried that. No dice. :*

jimtherev
22nd Jan 2015, 21:54
If it's one of those printers where you have access to the print head, then you might like to try disconnecting it from the mains, then after a few secs - after the thing has powered down completely - pushing the head an inch or two to right or left.
The thing should then, on being switched on, realise someone has been messing about, reset the position of the print head and send you a rude message.
Worth a try?
Crossed with Rivets. Oh well...

OFSO
23rd Jan 2015, 14:42
Go and buy an HP printer.

After 13 months and depending on useage the ink-guzzling Epson will soon be telling you the overflow pad needs changing (which I found impossible to do).

CharlieOneSix
23rd Jan 2015, 15:06
OFSO - what you need is printer potty from OctoInkJet. It bypasses the overflow pad. I have one on my Epson printer - simplicity itself to fit. It is external to the printer so a problem if you are short of space. I have no connection to the product so not an advert.
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/CharlieOneSix/printer%20potty_zpsb8mimgym.jpg

lomapaseo
23rd Jan 2015, 16:00
If it was likely a shock that started the problem, there is a good chance that another shock like a good kick will correct the problem.

TURIN
23rd Jan 2015, 16:16
lomapaseo
Tried that. Maybe I should kick it harder.

I contacted Epson on-line chat today and the chap (Joe) after telling me to try another mains socket, basically said its a hardware fault, take it to a repairer!

It cost £90. I think I'll risk having a dig around meself. It can't be more complicated than a B787 can it? :8

As for HP printers, you are probably right. I went for another Epson as the last one I had lasted eight years.

jimtherev
23rd Jan 2015, 17:01
Excellent.... but whatever you do, don't load all their software. How a company like HP can produce so much cr@p I just don't understand.

OFSO
23rd Jan 2015, 18:16
don't load all their software

In fact I do load all the HP software
- then have a look at each bit
- then delete about 90% of it (!)

Yes, you need a Printer Potty - if you've got an Epson.

TURIN
7th Feb 2015, 14:18
SUCCESS!

I had a crack at it today. Undid as many screws as I could find and eventually found a bit of circuit board that connects the ribbons from the lid. Pressed all the plugs home and huzzah! Sorted.

Thanks for all the advice. :ok: