PDA

View Full Version : A380 - 2 engined takeoff ??

JEP
22nd Jan 2015, 09:23
Rumour at my work (non-aviation) is that when the A380 is visiting airports with narrow runways, having the outer engines hanging over the nonpaved area, only 2 engines are used for takeoff.
In this particular case it is Lufthansa visiting Copenhagen some time ago.

I have a hard time believing that even an A380 with light load can commence a 2 engine takeoff and in worse case climb out on one engine.

I know that a 3-engined takeoff can be done on the 747 - but that requires special crew, special studies etc.

Can anyone help with some facts ?

groundhogbhx
22nd Jan 2015, 09:42
The only time am A380 would 'use' 2 engines is on landing as only the inner engines have thrust reversers fitted. A three engine take-off in a 747 is a non-revenue maintenance procedure only used to get the aircraft to a suitable location for an engine change and would have no payload and as little fuel as possible on board.

roundsounds
22nd Jan 2015, 10:02
Under certain circumstances (runway width/lose non-grasses runway strip) the outboard engines remain at idle until a certain speed is reached, then all engines are set to takeoff thrust. There's also a 3 engine takeoff procedure published for the aircraft.