PDA

View Full Version : manchester to auckland for a smoker!

wood73
21st Jan 2015, 05:39
Hi
and yes I am a dirty smoker.
My question is, I have just booked to go to Auckland transiting trough Dubai and Sydney, are there any smoking areas in the transit lounges at these airports?

Noxegon
21st Jan 2015, 06:24
Dubai has Smoking Rooms in each terminal. Unfortunately there's nothing in the transit areas in Sydney.

cheesebag
21st Jan 2015, 10:51
Sounds like an ideal opportunity to give up! :ok:

eastern wiseguy
21st Jan 2015, 11:14
I recently flew CLE-ORD-DUB-AMS with my wife and sister in law. SIL is a heavy smoker. She was patched up,and at every opportunity she left the terminal for a fix of nicotine. She was a bloody nightmare to travel with. The entire journey revolved around smokers facilities. Dublin suffered her wrath because they only had one smoking area and that was effectively in a different terminal. It was like travelling with a whiny three year old.

Good luck....you'll probably need it.

ExXB
21st Jan 2015, 12:27
Wood73,

Look at this as an opportunity. Contact the NHS stop-smoking people and see how they can help you. Nicotine patches work for some, e-cigs work for others. You won't be able to use e-cigs on the airplanes, but you should be able to use those in the terminals in Dubai and Sydney (Sorry, I can't say this for sure but I think that is the case)

If you do make it to Auckland without having a cigarette don't rush out to have one as soon as you are outdoors. You will have done 24+ hours, you can do another ..., and another. By the time you get on the plane coming home, you probably will only miss it a little.

Giving up nicotine is hard, damn hard but I'm sure you can do it!

alserire
21st Jan 2015, 17:47
There's no smoking anywhere in Dublin airport. Not that that would have made a difference to her but I'm wondering where the smoking area you refer to is. The only place to smoke is outside the terminal buildings. There's certainly no smoking from check in to gate.

As an aside and I'm not having a go but not being a smoker any more has made air travel much more enjoyable!!

spannersatcx
21st Jan 2015, 18:34
should of gone MAN-HKG-AKL, plenty of 'booths' in HKG.

eastern wiseguy
22nd Jan 2015, 22:50
Alsrire .

The security staff and passport control directed us to the "Garden Terrace Bar" . As it turned out it was too much of a hike....so she suffered through.

dublinamg
23rd Jan 2015, 03:52
Alseire,

The smoking area airside in Dublin is in Terminal 1. It's just off the bar/restaurant that is beside Burgerking in the shopping area and is well signposted. It is a nice big area and you see a lot of staff there as well as passengers there. There is a good ammount of seating there.

It's strange that T1 was adapted to include a smoking area while T2, a new build, was built without one. I have gone to the smoking area as a passenger in T2 but you do need to have a bit of time on your side.

The first smoking area in Ireland was in Shannon. I read that it was developed to facilitate the American soldiers transiting from Iraq/Afghanistan passing through there

alserire
23rd Jan 2015, 18:09
Have to say I am taken aback to hear that and I've been through there through Terminal 1 a few times in the last year. The anti smoking brigade in this country is so rabid that there's no smoking inside any building bar private residences any more. Actually amazed they caved in at the airport.

Maybe now I'm no longer a smoker I just don't notice these places!

As for Shannon?

Gotta keep the Yanks happy!

highflyer40
23rd Jan 2015, 18:14
clue night be in the name "garden terraces bar" so outside smoking lounge. it's the same at Leeds/Bradford and Manchester as well. both have smoking but it is outside but airside

alserire
23rd Jan 2015, 23:05
Makes sense alright. Just never heard of it. As my home airport which I use several times a year AND a former smoker (only quit two years ago) I'm just baffled as to how I missed it!!!

DaveReidUK
24th Jan 2015, 07:49
It was like travelling with a whiny three year old.

Good luck....you'll probably need it.So might you, if sister-in-law is reading this. :O

dazdaz1
27th Jan 2015, 16:30
Wood73... Stuff the no smoking brigade in UK. Did you know, it's only a £50 fine. How many court cases have been published in local newspapers NONE!!

At times I've lighted up in my local pub, landlord gives a nod (naughty boy) I understand his concern. I believe this whole anti smoking in pubs/clubs was initially instigated by the fluffy brigade propounding the death of the late Roy Castle citing his lung cancer (allegedly) was caused by 'secondary intake of smoke' during his cabaret act career in night clubs. There was no proof of this his medical report pertaing to his death. Just the first wedge in the door of anti smoking brigade, and how they played on that.

Being a smoker and travelling the country I have found that there are a large number of hotels (one has to ask for a smoking room) who will oblige one.

Lancelot37
27th Jan 2015, 16:37
I like a good few whiskies, how would you like it if I was sick over you? Yet you expect me to put up with the horrible smell of your fags!

dazdaz1
27th Jan 2015, 16:53
Lancelot37....."Yet you expect me to put up with the horrible smell of your fags!"

Who mentioned fags/cigarettes? I didn't. I'm a pipe smoker, and a whisky twist shag tobacco aroma has been found (Uni Glasgow) to be most appreciated/enlightening/puts one in a certain time era.

Ladies love it.

Ps. No jokes please, ladies and shag

ExXB
27th Jan 2015, 17:27
Methinks there is a troll obout, please don't feed it.

S.o.S.
27th Jan 2015, 20:22
Thanks ExXB. I don't want to use up all my padlocks before the next delivery.

LilyMars
29th Jan 2015, 11:25
Changi has the best smoking facilities I've ever seen.

The first time I flew to Australia, we changed at Hong Kong, I didn't know Hong Kong had smoking facilities, and just suffered. Sat and cried because I used to live in HK in the 80s and couldn't see it through the window, and it was the strangest thing finally being back there and not being there. Not even being at the "proper airport". Nicotine deprivation and foiled nostalgia for the greatest years of your childhood are not a good combo - didn;t even think to ask, didn't see any signs.

Next time was via Changi, and I still didn't think to ask about smoking facilities... stayed at the gate with my non smoking family and suffered!

On the way back, I realised not only was there smoking areas, they were AWESOME. We had much more time to kill, so I went on a smoking tour, managing to cram like five different smoking areas into a 90 minute stay - made it fun for the nonsmokers too, who got their legs stretched.

I've given up since but thinking about the facilities at Changi, I'd maybe start again if I flew that way again. :-)

alserire
29th Jan 2015, 19:37
Mad isn't it? They'll execute you in Singapore for a few grams of dope but facilitate you giving yourself cancer in the nicest ways......

PAXboy
29th Jan 2015, 23:46
Not to mention a ban on importing chewing gum, because of the litter problem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewing_gum_ban_in_Singapore

Mr Mac
30th Jan 2015, 17:33
Wood 73
Have just come back up from DXB to Man today. I was in Business and in the New lounge in the New terminal there is a very good smoking room with good AC and humidors. I am an occasional smoker, (20nr Cohiba per year maybe max, so do not have that craving smokers talk about). However Mrs Mac is a Café Crème girl and always puts her nose in there when either we, or she transit DXB and she thinks its marvellous. Do not know what the facilities are like outside the lounges for smokers though. Have a good trip.

Regards
Mr Mac

Phileas Fogg
30th Jan 2015, 23:42
Invest in some e-cigarettes long before one travels, alternate between smoking those and the real thing then when one travels go on the e-cigs which are aroma and smoke free.

But, when I went on e-cigs, alternating between them and the real thing, one was costing me 6 quid a month whilst the other was costing me 6 quid a packet ... I soon gave up the real thing and 6 months later I gave up the e-cigs also, it's getting on for 4 years now that I've been smoke free.

LilyMars
2nd Feb 2015, 10:28
I think e-cigs are banned on many airlines during flight?

I'll have a quick google....

Found this:

Travelling with Ecigarettes: Essential Need to Know! (http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtray-blog/2014/08/travelling-ecigarettes.html)

It says it's banned on all airlines!