PDA

View Full Version : Empty chair at State of the Union Address

KenV
20th Jan 2015, 20:13
Marine veteran Amir Hekmati will have a seat waiting for him in the House chamber for President Barack Obama's State of the Union Address next week, but barring a dramatic diplomatic breakthrough, it will go unfilled.

Congressman reserves seat at SOTU for imprisoned Marine (http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/veterans/2015/01/16/seat-at-sotu-for-amir-hekmati/21863825/)

rgbrock1
20th Jan 2015, 20:23
KenV:

I was not aware of this Marine's plight until you brought to our attention. Despicable really. Similar to the Marine who rotted in the Mexican prison for a few months. Then again, neither one of these Marines fits the profile of "the son I could have had."

con-pilot
20th Jan 2015, 22:27
It will be very interesting to see if the empty seat will be shown on TV tonight during the State of the Union address.

My beer is bet on 'not'.

11Fan
20th Jan 2015, 22:37
see if the empty seat will be shown on TV tonight

Doubt it myself. The cameras will be focused on the empty heads.

con-pilot
20th Jan 2015, 22:40
The cameras will be focused on the empty heads.

You have that right.

rgbrock1
21st Jan 2015, 13:35
Well, I subjected myself to the SOTU address and did not see an empty chair. Not even once.

(The wife didn't watch it and took a shower instead. Perhaps I should have joined her instead of being bored shi*less.)

Pinky the pilot
22nd Jan 2015, 00:43
Some of the TV News services here in Aussie showed several minutes of the SOTU address and I looked at it most carefully. Didn't see an empty chair.

Just realised that was several minutes of my life I will never get back!!:ugh:

rgbrock1
22nd Jan 2015, 14:47
Pinky wrote:

Just realised that was several minutes of my life I will never get back!!

Yup. Watching the SOTU address was not dissimilar to observing paint on the walls drying.