PDA

View Full Version : Calling all ex-VGS Instructors

Milts613
20th Jan 2015, 17:31
Hello all,

My name is Milton Josephs and am a former A2 from 613VGS where I spent 25 happy years instructing from the middle 1980's to mid-2000's on the Venture and Vigilant. If it had not been for my first CO, the late Sqn Ldr Malcolm Marshall, myself and many others would not have achieved half of what we would have done in aviation.

Now living in New York, I would love to start a forum or even a website / a virtual "crew-room" where we could all swap stories of our derring-do and reminisce the amazing, life long friendships that have been made. We can also post photo's too.

Just wondering if there would be an interest? If so, I will host and it would be open to any former member of a VGS - past and present.

Let me know!

Milton

Duchess_Driver
20th Jan 2015, 18:33
Spent a few years as a lowly 'C' at 645 late 80's/early 90's....and a few months trying to get back into VGS 'life' at 613 about 6-7 years ago until work got in the way. :ouch:

Worth a punt!

There is a thread on here somewhere of VGS pictures.... some faces/places you may recognise!

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/284073-air-cadet-gliding-pix-80s-pre-glass.html

ACW418
20th Jan 2015, 21:57
OK I am with you. Ex A2, CFI and OC of 622 VGS. Not good at tales of derring do!

ACW

Eau de Boeing
21st Jan 2015, 00:48
Ex VGS and now A380 driver, I'm in but the videos aren't.......

CISTRS
21st Jan 2015, 02:57
Ex VGS 1975 - 1977.
West Malling.
I'm in.

21st Jan 2015, 07:55
Another ex A2 and ex OC 622 here...;)

Sandy Wings
21st Jan 2015, 09:27
Guys/ Girls try 'Former Old Gliding Instructors Extension Society' (FOGIES!)
Annual dinner and newsletter, great way to hear the war stories. Sec details to follow...Don Poole
[email protected]:)
SW:)

More lookout
21st Jan 2015, 10:27
EX 637 Staff Cadet, mid eighties. Several bollockings, which helped develop me. Many great memories:) I'm in.

360BakTrak
21st Jan 2015, 11:49
I'm in, ex-612.

Doona
23rd Jan 2015, 19:56
Ex G1 at 644

tmmorris
24th Jan 2015, 19:27
Isn't every VGS instructor now an ex-instructor? There being no instruction going on...

Opsbeatch
2nd Apr 2015, 15:01
614 here, ex 'B' cat.

OB

ACW342
17th Apr 2015, 15:44
I'm in. Got some reasonable stories about flying out of BHD (EGAC) known to some as BCA (Belfast City Airport)

si.
17th Apr 2015, 20:54
Former 645 staff cadet G2.

I'm in.

Pure Pursuit
19th Apr 2015, 08:00
Our paths have probably crossed. I was at 645 until the early nineties. Fond memories of great flying, beers in the village and a good crowd!

633VGS
12th Oct 2015, 18:06
Im sure many instructors at 633 VGS would be interested. Please let us know any details :)

WE992
12th Oct 2015, 18:27
I'm looking for photos of Venture ZA656 whilst in Air Cadet service if anybody has any.

ACW342
12th Oct 2015, 18:51
Ex B cat. 664 and GSA/GGA half cat. Can I tell my GSA/GGA stories (heavily censored) as well?

360BakTrak
12th Oct 2015, 19:12
Any progress with the forum?

soddim
13th Oct 2015, 16:42
I'm also an ex 613 A2 who enjoyed working with Malcolm Marshall late 70's and I would be happy to join in a forum.

fade to grey
14th Oct 2015, 09:08
ZA656 ?
I've got a feeling I did my first solo on that at benson in 1988,
I've got some terrible pictures of us cadets acting like we are top gun extras in my attic

WE992
14th Oct 2015, 19:25
Here's a link to a photo of 656 as it is now.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1494741/

Milts613
14th Oct 2015, 21:09
Sorry for not responding so sooner - life has overtaken me.

I would love to take this further. I will look into it more......

Milton

longer ron
14th Oct 2015, 21:18
Hi Milts
I am ex 613 P2/G1/winch driver ordinaire in the early 70's,ISTR that MM was OC detached Flight at WW ? at that time - we had Jacko as boss.

rgds LR

chevvron
14th Oct 2015, 23:18
I was a staff cadet at 613 from '64 to '70, becoming P1 and P2. They tried to make me a 'C' cat but when I left school I found it was too much and gave up.(Couldn't bring myself to let a ham fisted cadet land a glider with me in it more like! ) Many years later, I renewed my acquaintance with 613 when I became Herts & Bucks Wing Gliding Liaison Officer first for 612 then 613 as well.
613 had 2 detached flights at various times, White Waltham and Bovingdon (before 617 were chucked out of Hendon and moved in)
Jacko was OC 613, Malcolm commanded the WW detachment (he was an air traffic controller there until the RAF moved out) which eventually became 612 GS. Malcolm took over as OC 613 when Jacko retired ('74 or '75?) and 612 moved to Benson with John Hartill as boss.
Malcolm remained OC 613 until they re-equipped with Ventures I think (could be wrong there).
One 'claim to fame' for 613. When I joined 2204 (Chesham) Sqdn ATC, there was a guy called Chris Rollings on the squadron, as well as novellist/aerobatic pilot the late Brian Lecomber.
Chris became a staff cadet at 613 a couple of years before me; joined the RAF as an Officer Cadet, left the RAF and returned to 613, then became an instructor at Wycombe Gliding Centre, eventually becoming a BGA coach and one of the most experienced glider pilots in the country; he even did a display at Farnborough in 2000.
I won't post it here but I have his e-mail address if any ex 613 people want to contact him.

Frelon
16th Oct 2015, 12:05
I joined 615 Gliding School at Kenley (no pretentious Squadrons in those days!) as a staff cadet in 1960. George Nunn was CO and Alex Watson was CFI.

Plenty of "can do" attitude in those days until the elf & safety brigade moved in.

Worked my way up from winch driver extraordinaire, through the grades/categories to A2* and CFI.

My first gliding experiences as a staff cadet were night flying in Cadet Mk IIIs. As the end of the day arrived the instructors looked around, pointed to me and said "Are you on the course, lad? Have you flown?" - I replied that I was a new staff cadet and had been winching (single drum winches) all day. "Oh well we have finished gliding, jump in for a hangar flight!"
It was dark and the only light was coming from the hangar doors, but it was flying, which is the reason I was there.

After that we had to go back to the winches and do a cable DI using the light from the one ton Austin headlights!!

Great days and great memories.

chevvron
16th Oct 2015, 15:14
After that we had to go back to the winches and do a cable DI using the light from the one ton Austin headlights!!

Great days and great memories.

Ah yes, the old 'one tonner' with its crash gearbox and double clutching. Great for winch towing and before it was withdrawn, we weren't allowed to tow winches with the Landrovers.
When I told my schoolmates that at the age of 16, I was able to drive one of these beasts on the airfield, they wouldn't believe me!

Hastings
24th Oct 2015, 20:29
Staff cadet late 60s. Learned to drive and glide. Donated pinky to the winch! But got over it. Terrific days and been flying ever since. This forum is a great idea.

chevvron
30th Oct 2015, 02:18
Staff cadet late 60s. Learned to drive and glide. Donated pinky to the winch! But got over it. Terrific days and been flying ever since. This forum is a great idea.
One of our guys at Halton (later became CFI at Wycombe Air Centre) nearly donated a finger too. He went to leap out to attach the cables to the retrieve vehicle and a ring on his finger got caught in the mesh surrounding the cab leaving him hanging from his finger for a few seconds until his ring bent and he was released. Had to have some stitches in his finger though!

pulse1
30th Oct 2015, 09:01
I was a lowly C cat instructor with 622 in the late 60's. Ron Hayter's final task before retiring was to check me out. TP was the CO for the rest of my time. The only winching incident I remember, apart from a Chipmunk flying into the cable, was when a MkIII drifted outside the airfield boundary on the launch. The winch driver did his best to pull in the cable before it fell outside the hedge.

About 15 minutes later a car came onto the airfield and the driver rather apologetically complained that the parachute had removed his wing mirror. We thought that the best response was to have a whip round and pay for a new one.

FleurDeLys
30th Oct 2015, 09:10
Distant memories of a launch cable trying to scythe through the supports of a VASI/PAPI unit - made all the more embarrassing by the presence of SATCO at the launch point at the time. Doh!:=

Hastings
1st Nov 2015, 12:51
Very similar accident but better outcome!

chevvron
6th Nov 2015, 08:44
I was told years ago about an incident which had a 'D' notice slapped on it. I won't mention the gliding school identity, indeed I can't guarantee it's exactly true.
Nil wind, so a westerly launch direction was chosen, which meant the winch was situated close to a busy road frequented by double decker uses.
Slight tailwind starts up; pilot holds onto cable until overhead the winch; cable drops on winch and behind it and is fouled by a bus on the outside road, damaging it but no injuries to passengers.

CH2
6th Nov 2015, 11:54
As well as the great work that the 621 historic flight has done, you can also catch up with;
https://www.facebook.com/VentureZa634/?fref=ts
&https://www.facebook.com/ZA655/?fref=ts

Great idea Milts

621andy
16th Nov 2015, 02:34
Ex 621 'C' Cat...Flew both wood and glass...and still get to fly the old wood with 621 Historic Flight..:ok:

Count me in!

Grobling About
16th Nov 2015, 15:26
Nice one CH. Surprised you didn't mention post 981 of 'Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)' - a fine photo of 655

Anyway what are you doing on here?..you're not "ex" yet

Jim

Deafender
5th Jan 2016, 16:49
Ex-616 VGS A2 at RAF Henlow 1980-1997... Ventures and Vigilants (Plus one flight in a bungee-launched Slingsby Grasshopper!!:cool:).

I have just been contacted out of the blue by a former colleague who ended up at the Central Gliding School.

I found this forum while trekking down memory lane, great to see the Air Cadet Gliding movement still brings the memories and is still around...

chevvron
6th Jan 2016, 02:03
Ex-616 VGS A2 at RAF Henlow 1980-1997... Ventures and Vigilants (Plus one flight in a bungee-launched Slingsby Grasshopper!!:cool:).

I have just been contacted out of the blue by a former colleague who ended up at the Central Gliding School.

I found this forum while trekking down memory lane, great to see the Air Cadet Gliding movement still brings the memories and is still around...

Yeah but have you seen what's happening to the VGS now? See 'Air Cadets Grounded ' thread.
A really sorry state of affairs since we were all involved.

Mnewton
30th Oct 2016, 15:42
One of our guys at Halton (later became CFI at Wycombe Air Centre) nearly donated a finger too. He went to leap out to attach the cables to the retrieve vehicle and a ring on his finger got caught in the mesh surrounding the cab leaving him hanging from his finger for a few seconds until his ring bent and he was released. Had to have some stitches in his finger though!
Was there when Dicky Bird did that, I still cringe thinking about it ! I think he flew with BA for some time and has logged over 40,000 hours ,saw him at WAC 5 years ago training on Cessna.

Mnewton
30th Oct 2016, 15:52
Joined as staff cadet driving cables with the land rovers, then winching .then to a P2 on the sedberghs ( Mrs Hepple et all) and then C instructor. Many stories from those days, great times!