PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Paris is dangerous (according to Fox News).

rotornut
20th Jan 2015, 15:45
Check out the video at the bottom to hear what the French have to say... lol:

Freedumb fried: Fox News gets ridiculed by the French | Dangerous Minds (http://dangerousminds.net/comments/freedumb_fried_fox_news_gets_ridiculed_by_the_french)

Hydromet
20th Jan 2015, 20:27
Busy planning a visit to Paris right now. I think I know some of the places I'd like to visit. Thanks.

11Fan
20th Jan 2015, 20:33
What's the French word for deja vu?

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/554896-fox-news-ridicule-continues.html

finfly1
20th Jan 2015, 21:18
Fox may be welcome to their opinion, but they are getting sued for it.

rotornut
20th Jan 2015, 22:10
Busy planning a visit to Paris right now. I think I know some of the places I'd like to visit. Thanks.
Love your sense of humour.:ok:

Sop_Monkey
20th Jan 2015, 23:01
Paris? Well I didn't feel all that comfortable in the place when I visited on a regular basis.

Marseilles? Well words fail me on that one and even the French call it Algiers.

RatherBeFlying
21st Jan 2015, 01:32
Charlie Hebdo could do a Faux News issue:p

ExXB
21st Jan 2015, 07:11
I don't think any lawsuit would have a hope of success, unless it could be proved that FOX management knew the stories were wrong*.

Stupid mistakes, apparently, are protected as free speach.

*Cue the conspiracy theorists!

Metro man
21st Jan 2015, 09:01
Ah Paris, you haven't been there if you haven't had the "Ring Drop" scam tried on you. It happened to us near the Galleries Lafayette, a scruffy gypsy woman wanted to return a ring which she saw fall out of my pocket.:hmm:

Any city has less desirable areas and I'm sure there is no shortage in Paris.

France?s troubled suburbs: Forgotten in the banlieues | The Economist (http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21572248-young-diverse-and-unemployed-forgotten-banlieues)

France’s troubled suburbs
Forgotten in the banlieues

Young, diverse and unemployed
WHEN the director of a job centre organised a visit to the Louvre for unemployed youngsters, she knew it would be a rare event. Sevran is one of France’s poorest places, north-east of the Paris périphérique. The jobless rate is 18%, and over 40% among the young. Yet the director was taken aback by how exceptional the visit proved. Of the 40 locals who made the 32km (20-mile) trip, 15 had never left Sevran, and 35 had never seen a museum.

Sevran is one of France’s 717 “sensitive urban zones”, most of them in the banlieues. In such places unemployment is over twice the national rate. More than half the residents are of foreign origin, chiefly Algerian, Moroccan and sub-Saharan African. Three-quarters live in subsidised housing; 36% are below the poverty line, three times the national average.

In 2005, after three weeks of rioting that ended in a government-imposed state of emergency, there was talk of a “Marshall plan” for the banlieues. Over €44 billion ($55 billion) was set aside in a nine-year programme. Tower blocks have been blown up in clouds of dust and replaced with lower-rise buildings lined with freshly planted saplings. Jean-Marc Ayrault, the prime minister, has just visited Clichy-sous-Bois, to the east of Paris, where the riots began, to say “we can no longer accept that areas feel abandoned”. He announced another, 27-point plan, but no more cash.

For all the schemes and money, the banlieues are a world apart. From 2008 to 2011 the gap widened between unemployment rates in “sensitive urban zones” and in surrounding areas. Schools have a high turnover of often-inexperienced teachers, gaining merit by doing time in the banlieues. Job centres are understaffed. The unemployed say their postcode stigmatises them. Drug dealers compete with careers advisers to recruit teenagers. “Here, drug trafficking has always helped circulate money,” says Stéphane Gatignon, Sevran’s Green mayor. “It’s how people scrape by, despite the crisis.”

Last year Mr Gatignon took his troubles to parliament, literally: he planted his tent outside the building to stage a hunger strike meant to extract more subsidies for Sevran and other places. He got an extra €5m. He is a keen promoter, against the odds, of his town’s virtues. He argues that Sevran’s youthful multicultural vitality is its greatest asset, and hopes it can be channelled into entrepreneurship. Qataris are investing in businesses in the banlieues, he says, because the French will not. He does not place much hope in grand plans devised by bureaucrats on high.

The sense of isolation in a place like Sevran is social as much as physical. Too many teenagers grow up with little connection to the world of work. Manuel Valls, the interior minister, who cut his teeth as mayor of the multicultural banlieue of Evry, talks of de facto “apartheid” in France. Over 70 different nationalities, and many faiths, crowd into Sevran; new migrants from Africa’s poorest corners are joined by more recent arrivals from Spain and Italy. Even today in France, according to new research by Yann Algan and colleagues at Sciences-Po university, somebody called Mohamed, Ali or Kamel is four times more likely to be unemployed than somebody named Philippe or Alain.

Sevran’s disconnection is rich in paradox. The town has good railway links, yet Paris feels a world away. At the dimly lit Sevran-Beaudottes station, where the halal butcher and Rotisserie Couscous trade beneath advertising for Vita Malt African bottled drinks, fast trains tear through, carrying travellers from the airport direct to Paris. “We have to wait for the slow trains that stop at the stations in-between,” says a woman from Sevran who commutes to the airport for work each day. “There’s too much theft here, and they want to keep the tourists away.”

rh200
21st Jan 2015, 09:14
France is to create 2,680 new jobs and boost spending by 425m euros (£325m) to bolster counter-terrorism efforts, Prime Minister Manuel Valls has said.

He said such resources were crucial to dealing with an expanded extremist threat, with 3,000 people currently requiring surveillance across France.

Wonder what percentage is in Paris

BBC News - Paris attacks: France boosts anti-terror strategy (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30914468)

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Jan 2015, 09:45
Ah Paris, you haven't been there if you haven't had the "Ring Drop" scam tried on you. It happened to us near the Galleries Lafayette, a scruffy gypsy woman wanted to return a ring which she saw fall out of my pocket.
Or dropped wallet in Kiev.

Or "you stole my sunglasses that I left in the gents" in Pisa.

Dunno which version of this scam is used in London, maybe they think I don't look like a target.

OFSO
21st Jan 2015, 12:21
As I was heading into France by road across the border yesterday I thought I'd better take my passport to ID myself as I was sure there would be a police check at La Jonquera.

NOTHING. Nobody checking anyone heading into Spain or into France. Coming back today, same thing. There isn't any CCTV, either. Nice to know the authorities in Spain and France are taking cross-border terrorism seriously.

ExXB
21st Jan 2015, 12:36
Nothing on the borders between Switzerland and France either. There is CCTV. though .The cameras may not be obvious, or visible at all, but they are there.

It is understood here that both the Swiss and the French are recording our license plates as we cross.

The Swiss still maintain a 'flying squad' of border control people that are charged with catching good smugglers coming into Switzerland. (Switzerland is in Schengen but that doesn't include the free movement of goods). We read in the local papers of the French gendarmerie regularly apprehending illegal immigrants crossing from here.

With the recent 20% devaluation of the euro, against real money, the Swiss flying squad is out in force.

rotornut
21st Jan 2015, 14:14
Yes, Fox is being sued:
BBC News - Paris Mayor to sue Fox News over Muslim claims (http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30915395)

Octopussy2
21st Jan 2015, 14:20
The border control people were out when I crossed back from France at my favourite crossing point on Monday lunchtime - but hidden 150 yards inside the border, not at the customs point - sneaky buggers.

Luckily they stopped the 2 cars in front of me and I sailed through (though, for once, didn't have anything that would have got me into trouble anyway) - possibly the others in front of me had provoked them in some way, by say, having French number plates or not being white...:E

ExXB
21st Jan 2015, 15:10
Octopussy - They are doing that a lot. I usually cross at Crassier/Crassy and I've seen the flying squad at the roundabouts along the route de Nyon. I just scoot through Borex to Signy and never see them there ...

They are taking the € devaluation quite seriously! They are targeting returning Swiss shoppers. (White with Swiss plates)

OFSO
21st Jan 2015, 15:21
They are targeting returning Swiss shoppers

I'd just like to enquire - what offence would they have committed ?

We returned from France to Spain today carrying undeclared kippers across the border. Aha ! Consumed already.......

Octopussy2
21st Jan 2015, 15:30
ExXb - yes, I know, I was being mischevious. I was lucky (although I don't think they'd have been interested in my stash of buckwheat noodles from the health food shop in Annemasse).

OFSO I'm a bit vague on the limits here, but it's something like duty payable on goods worth more than CHF 300, plus set (low) limits on meat, dairy, wine etc - so potentially a good supermarket shop can get you into trouble.

G&T ice n slice
21st Jan 2015, 15:35
I've been to Paris, but very infrequently.

I find the pestering by rather nondescript disque-bleu/caporal-smoking, garlic-fragranced types with their "feelthy postcards sir?" very annoying.

They won;t take "no" for an answer.

In the end I give up and sell them a few.